Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delivered 2 cords to customers on Friday, and 2 cords to my daughter today. Was real nice looking stuff if I may say so myself! A lot of center cut Oak from the large rounds (no bark), a good amount of Hickory, and some of the "Black Trees" (Birch, Cherry & Locust). Made me wish I was going to be the one burning it!

They moved the closing up to the 18th, but I should be OK. Only got about 3 more cord to move out, and 4 logs to mill. The big Red Oak may take some time milling! Everything else S/B only about 1/2 day each.

Not really scrounge related but I made these screens today so we can sleep in the truck more comfortably on our fishing trip coming up. Roll of fabric screen, some tape I had kicking around and a handful of dollar store magnets. I made em big so they would be versatile on different vehicles. Where we will be camping, there are designated sites but they're first come first serve, so we go up the night before and snooze in the truck so we're at the boat launch early. To keep on topic, I did stuff 3 feed bags full of box elder, ash, elm and willow for camp wood. IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1724.JPG

Not really scrounge related but I made these screens today so we can sleep in the truck more comfortably on our fishing trip coming up. Roll of fabric screen, some tape I had kicking around and a handful of dollar store magnets. I made em big so they would be versatile on different vehicles. Where we will be camping, there are designated sites but they're first come first serve, so we go up the night before and snooze in the truck so we're at the boat launch early. To keep on topic, I did stuff 3 feed bags full of box elder, ash, elm and willow for camp wood. View attachment 593831 View attachment 593832
Adapt and overcome, nice!

I like it!

Two years ago we had to spend the night in the truck on the eve of our annual canoe trip. I think it cooled down to 85 and the truck doesn't have air. Couldn't roll windows down cause bugs were too bad.

This year we slept in the suburban and it was 49 degrees. You never know what the weather will bring!

Had to go down to Melbourne this weekend, took my brother a load of blue gum to keep him happy. We came back home via the scenic route and stopped in at Healesville Sanctuary on the way home which a zoo for native animals in a small town about 70km east. Cowlass liked the birds though she got a surprise when one landed on her head. No 'accidents', fortunately.

30th Jul 1.jpg

They also have an airshow every afternoon where they have trained birds from parrots to eagles doing tricks and swooping at head height over the assembled crowd. Unfortunately something spooked one of the Major Mitchell cockatoos and he flew off into a tree rather than back into his enclosure so they didn't let the wedge-tailed eagle off the glove. Raptors and parrots don't mix apparently. I last went to the Sanctuary about 15 years ago and saw the eagle then, it's the same one now, he's 46 years old and thinks he's a person.

30th Jul 2.jpg

There was heaps of roadside scrounge on the way home but with Cowgirl asleep and the Cowkids niggling each other, I didn't stop so some nice stringybark and redgum went begging. Too bad.

I saved that yesterday as it was on topic for the good morning thread where we were talking about this generation and their wimpyness :lol:.
That water sure looks good though:laughing:.
Lumping all and judging them as such is a narrow way of thinking. Yes, there are some that fit the bill but there are also some that are doing fantastic work. These are the people that will inherit the mess previous generations have made , a lot has changed in the last 20 or so years, some of it can be attributed to overpopulation, some of it to greed and ignorance. I prefer to believe that somewhere in this current crop of people lies our hope for the future, you are welcome to believe different but I'm not sure it will get you anywhere, just a little older and crotchitier ( is that a word? ) ow back to your regularly scheduled program!:cool:

Had to go down to Melbourne this weekend, took my brother a load of blue gum to keep him happy. We came back home via the scenic route and stopped in at Healesville Sanctuary on the way home which a zoo for native animals in a small town about 70km east. Cowlass liked the birds though she got a surprise when one landed on her head. No 'accidents', fortunately.

View attachment 593841

They also have an airshow every afternoon where they have trained birds from parrots to eagles doing tricks and swooping at head height over the assembled crowd. Unfortunately something spooked one of the Major Mitchell cockatoos and he flew off into a tree rather than back into his enclosure so they didn't let the wedge-tailed eagle off the glove. Raptors and parrots don't mix apparently. I last went to the Sanctuary about 15 years ago and saw the eagle then, it's the same one now, he's 46 years old and thinks he's a person.

View attachment 593842

There was heaps of roadside scrounge on the way home but with Cowgirl asleep and the Cowkids niggling each other, I didn't stop so some nice stringybark and redgum went begging. Too bad.
Great pictures, and what a cutie.
I like the wife and kids names too :laugh:.
Reminds me when another ASer had invited our family to stay at their home. Upon realizing that we were allergic to cats(he has a few) he quickly set it up for us to stay at his daughters house, what a guy/family :). Then his daughter asked what our names where, all he had was chipper:laughing:, I told him in a PM that I was chipper, then there was Mrs. chipper, chip off the block, little chippers(the girls).
Back to the scrounging, some softwood for Dan :D. It will face the same fate as the spruce:blob2:.
My limby, and my 36" Aussie bar:happy:.
20170728_185839.jpg
My boy in the stump(chip off the block).
20170729_123611.jpg

Lumping all and judging them as such is a narrow way of thinking. Yes, there are some that fit the bill but there are also some that are doing fantastic work. These are the people that will inherit the mess previous generations have made , a lot has changed in the last 20 or so years, some of it can be attributed to overpopulation, some of it to greed and ignorance. I prefer to believe that somewhere in this current crop of people lies our hope for the future, you are welcome to believe different but I'm not sure it will get you anywhere, just a little older and crotchitier ( is that a word? ) ow back to your regularly scheduled program!:cool:
Good morning Grizz :drinkingcoffee:.
I feel it's much like talking about saws, take the early 562 for example, there were many issues with them, and there were many without issues. I will speak to either side of it, and I'm sure at any one point someone will see the other side, so do I :). Yes, they sure will be inheriting a mess :(. Overpopulation, I surely disagree, unless you are speaking of a specific area, greed absolutely and ignorance as well. One thing I will say is that hard working blue collar folks will be in high demand in the near future. I do believe there is much hope for this generation, but I'm pretty sure you know where my hope lies having hung out a while in the GMT :yes:. Mostly sure that is a word :reading:.
Talk later :hi:.

There are turds in every generation. But IMO there's a huge difference in values in folks born after 1985 or so than those before.

I had a pretty good upbringing but the learning curve of "real life" was still a tough one. This "everyone gets a trophy" mentality is causing a generation of wimps.

I'd strongly support mandatory military service for post HS kids. Would definitely improve this country.

They will be inheriting the best Country at the best time in history that the WW II generation worked their fingers to the bone for and gave to us. I hope they appreciate it and don't continue to screw it up, as is currently happening.

Civilization is going in reverse, everyone has to lock their cars and homes, there are school and workplace shootings, you have to take your shoes off to get on a plane ... we are going backwards!!!! A little more religion (or moral values), respect for elders (and authority figures) and pride (ashamed of going on welfare) is sorely needed in today's society, in addition to a much better work ethic.

The sacrifices made by the WW II generation, who generally grew up in the depression and had nothing, endured the most brutal war in history, then returned home and worked tirelessly to provide a better life to future generations, is not appreciated nearly enough. This entitlement garbage has to go.

No Scrounging for me over the weekend, soaking up some winter sun on the ski fields with the kids.
No Conifers here.

View attachment 594031

My kids got to go for a ride with the Ski Patrol.... I told them they were very lucky as not many Aussie kids have been for a ride on a skidoo.

View attachment 594032

Nice! Conditions look a bit soft Jeff, where was that?

Mt Selwyn looking south to Mt Jugungal in the distance. It looks soft in the pic but wasn't to bad.
Selwyn is great for 4 and 7 year old beginners.
But I have to confess Cowboy I wasn't looking for scrounge on the way back up the Hume hwy like you LOL.

Well if I had a mate who let me cut all the ironbark I wanted on his property I wouldn't bother with roadside scrounge either. I need to find some better friends!

Although the Lady Farmer and I had a very good firewood relationship. For me, conservatively I reckon I would have cut 5 cubes in 2014, 15 cubes in 2015, 30 cubes in 2016 and at least another 25 cubes this year. Plus about 10 cubes for Ross. About 23 cord. Plus 13-15 cubes for the Lady Farmer each year. Dunno when I'm going to strike another deal like that.

My unlimited Iron bark is on hold, my mate got a call from the council apparently someone put in a complaint that we'd been cutting down live trees without council permission. This never happened but he's sorting it out, hope he sorts it out soon as I don't want to go cutting when it warms up.

My unlimited Iron bark is on hold, my mate got a call from the council apparently someone put in a complaint that we'd been cutting down live trees without council permission. This never happened but he's sorting it out, hope he sorts it out soon as I don't want to go cutting when it warms up.
Do you have tree tops laying there to prove your point if you investigate?

Latest posts

Back