Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scourged up a nice low hour husky 385View attachment 594796Will mostly be used for milling, the 064 worked good but was pretty loud and kinda got old for milling, and my son moved to Montana so no more 661:(.Think I'm going to sell it, fun saw but I don't really use it any more.
Cool, nice score!

Love my 2186 but find the orange, high top sibling so much more sexy. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Scourged up a nice low hour husky 385View attachment 594796Will mostly be used for milling, the 064 worked good but was pretty loud and kinda got old for milling, and my son moved to Montana so no more 661:(.Think I'm going to sell it, fun saw but I don't really use it any more.

No Stihls available ;)? Nice pick up, Nate! Pity about your son moving away, not only did you lose the 661, you've got to carry all those logs down the hill yourself.

Good news! The Lady Farmer tells me that her new landlord needs a few trees taken down. He only has 400 acres. Looks like Cowboy's back in business. Unfortunately the weather system was upgraded from Winter Wonderland to Class 3 Killstorm and conditions are not really great for scrounge at the moment.

As soon as things dry out a bit, it's on! :chainsaw:

20170806_160315.jpg

People up at the ski resorts are stuck there. Trees and powerlines down across the roads. Looks like the bars will be doing well. :drinking:

No Stihls available ;)? Nice pick up, Nate! Pity about your son moving away, not only did you lose the 661, you've got to carry all those logs down the hill yourself.

Good news! The Lady Farmer tells me that her new landlord needs a few trees taken down. He only has 400 acres. Looks like Cowboy's back in business. Unfortunately the weather system was upgraded from Winter Wonderland to Class 3 Killstorm and conditions are not really great for scrounge at the moment.

As soon as things dry out a bit, it's on! :chainsaw:

View attachment 594811

People up at the ski resorts are stuck there. Trees and powerlines down across the roads. Looks like the bars will be doing well. :drinking:

Thanks cowboy, ya really going to miss my son (not just for his saw and log carrying abilities ;)) couldn't ask for a better son or friend. He's fun to be around, always looks for the good in people, always willing to help and works hard, very thankful for him!!
Sounds like your getting some nice weather, lol. Should be some great skiing after it lets up, and maybe some good wood scrounging with all the blow down? Stay safe.

Flooding the forum with pics ... Hmm, I've never done that :oops:. Looks like you've done some good work there, what sort of trees were you cutting?

Roughly whereabouts in NE are you? My brother in law married a New Hampshire girl and I've spent a fair bit of time over there myself.
Trees, a couple red oaks, big tree in back is a red maple I think, some grey birch's, & beech.

New Hampshire is where I reside. Born & raised in Portsmouth. Trees are being cut is Northwood NH. Now I live in Bedford. Sorry took awhile to respond, was on vacation, on Bow Lake in Strafford NH. Rented a camp for a week. Great time, kids loved it.
4ca459612186d88431442b47c63cd193.jpg

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Scrounged up another car full tonight. mostly Holly, which is pretty good so long as someone else has dealt with the prickly leaves! According to this table http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html its as dense as oak when seasoned. I'm not sure on that, I burnt a lot of it last year and while its dense it didn't seem quite that heavy. I love it though as it lights really easily and burns nicely.
topped the car up with a bit of this and that from the pile, cherry, yew (supposedly burns hotter than plutonium) and a couple of bits of lawson cypress, well I need a bit of softwood, it helps get the stove going!
Got some splitting to do now, and i Might be there at the fabled 3 years ahead point. Think I'll use the nice long handled x27, ahem :oops:

Got a load of green Eucalyptus Sp..... Not sure but think it may be some type of stringy bark. This is a load from the state forest, camped out for the night with an old school mate, both of us got a trailer load. I cut he loaded :).
Split it out of the trailer and stacked it into the shed. Red stuff is Sydney grey gum from last time. I'll need another 2 loads to fulfil my wife's burning requirements.
The last couple of wood outings I had mainly used the 550XP and thought I could get by with this only if need be. This time the 7900 got a good workout and was in its element so much better in the big suff.

upload_2017-8-7_9-8-33.png

upload_2017-8-7_9-15-57.png

65 N still Alive!!! Went for a hike today and wore out 2 Grandsons and 2 Dogs!

First pic is Storm King Mtn (across the Hudson) and Cornwall & Stewart Airport to the North.

Second Pic is Break Neck Ridge and Bannerman Island. Granite from Breakneck was used for the Brooklyn Bridge, West Point, and the Steps of the Capital Building in Albany. Bannerman's Island stored firearms and ammo for an NYC Army & Navy store pre gun control act of 1964.

Third Pic is ruins of a house that was along Millionaires Row (along the Hudson North of Cold Spring). The pool is in back of me, and the old Green House up the hill. The concrete driveways from the early 1900s still survives, with a curb.

Attachments

• IMG_20170806_122034094 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170806_122034094 (Large).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20170806_122104985.jpg
    IMG_20170806_122104985.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170806_133201249 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170806_133201249 (Large).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Scrounged up another car full tonight. mostly Holly, which is pretty good so long as someone else has dealt with the prickly leaves! According to this table http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html its as dense as oak when seasoned. I'm not sure on that, I burnt a lot of it last year and while its dense it didn't seem quite that heavy. I love it though as it lights really easily and burns nicely.
topped the car up with a bit of this and that from the pile, cherry, yew (supposedly burns hotter than plutonium) and a couple of bits of lawson cypress, well I need a bit of softwood, it helps get the stove going!
Got some splitting to do now, and i Might be there at the fabled 3 years ahead point. Think I'll use the nice long handled x27, ahem :oops:

G'day Neil, I reckon this website is pretty good http://www.wood-database.com/holly . The 12%MC specific gravity (where the specific gravity of water is 1.00) makes species easily comparable and is readily converted to kg/m (the basic specific gravity is that with all the water evaporated - not as applicable for those of us burning it). All sorts of species are listed and its data on the species I'm familiar with appears very close to the mark.

Got a load of green Eucalyptus Sp..... Not sure but think it may be some type of stringy bark. This is a load from the state forest, camped out for the night with an old school mate, both of us got a trailer load. I cut he loaded :).
Split it out of the trailer and stacked it into the shed. Red stuff is Sydney grey gum from last time. I'll need another 2 loads to fulfil my wife's burning requirements.
The last couple of wood outings I had mainly used the 550XP and thought I could get by with this only if need be. This time the 7900 got a good workout and was in its element so much better in the big suff.

View attachment 594903

View attachment 594905

That bark looks a bit like a mahogany, maybe e.botroides (bangalay) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_botryoides#/media/File:Bangalay-bark.jpg . The stringybarks I'm familiar with down here have shaggy, almost woolly bark but travel a few hundred k's north and I'm not familiar with anything.

65 N still Alive!!! Went for a hike today and wore out 2 Grandsons and 2 Dogs!

First pic is Storm King Mtn (across the Hudson) and Cornwall & Stewart Airport to the North.

Second Pic is Break Neck Ridge and Bannerman Island. Granite from Breakneck was used for the Brooklyn Bridge, West Point, and the Steps of the Capital Building in Albany. Bannerman's Island stored firearms and ammo for an NYC Army & Navy store pre gun control act of 1964.

Third Pic is ruins of a house that was along Millionaires Row (along the Hudson North of Cold Spring). The pool is in back of me, and the old Green House up the hill. The concrete driveways from the early 1900s still survives, with a curb.

Happy birthday Mike!

thanks Cowboy, that database looks good, I've bookmarked it now. It also puts (European)Holly at 0.65 specific density, compared to (English)Oak's 0.67. Holly is good stuff, so long as you aren't dealing with the leaves!

Apparently some Eucalyptus will be on the pile tonight or tomorrow. I've had a bit before and it was nothing great, but then there is Eucalyptus and Eucalyptus, hmm. I'm getting those looks from my other half though, who HAS noticed the wood piles have grown, so I'll probably pass o the Eucalyptus.

Cowboy pretty sure it's not a Woollybutt, but yes don't think it's a stringy bark either. I'll stick with Eucalyptus.sp.

Or just 'non-spruce firewood'

thanks Cowboy, that database looks good, I've bookmarked it now. It also puts (European)Holly at 0.65 specific density, compared to (English)Oak's 0.67. Holly is good stuff, so long as you aren't dealing with the leaves!

Apparently some Eucalyptus will be on the pile tonight or tomorrow. I've had a bit before and it was nothing great, but then there is Eucalyptus and Eucalyptus, hmm. I'm getting those looks from my other half though, who HAS noticed the wood piles have grown, so I'll probably pass o the Eucalyptus.

No way, go get it! It could be the best wood you're ever burned. But you're right, there's eucalypts barely denser than pine, eucalypts that sink in water when dry, there's eucalypts that make you think they're more ash than carbon, there's eucalypts that appear to miss out on ash altogether, there's eucalypts that burn fast, burn slow or barely burn at all. Mystery eucalypt, how exciting. Put a pic up so Jeff and I can argue about what it is :laugh:.

I for one am jealous Dancan, not so much about the spruce but the amount of wood you get to burn a year. Also would love to cycle in the summer and XC ski all winter. If you could ski 10 - 15 km each way to work each day you'd be a machine (not that you do that.... but it would cool to do that). Plus you pay half what we do for saws :).

Back