Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pics from last weekends fishing trip. The food boat anchored out to thwart bears.IMG_1759.JPG Sunset over my Johnson. Lol. IMG_1771.JPG Scrounging snacks, wild blueberries.IMG_1782.JPG Yours truly with a shore lunch smallmouth and a bad case of hat hair! (More fish on the stringer)IMG_1800.JPG And finally to the scrounge. A cedar (I even got paid for cutting this tree) swedish candle worked mint to get our fire going and smelled great. It was center rotted so I dropped some charcoal in it as well and when it burned down, we cooked steak and potatoes. A good trip and time spent with my sons. IMG_1804.PNG

Some pics from last weekends fishing trip. The food boat anchored out to thwart bears.View attachment 595133 Sunset over my Johnson. Lol. View attachment 595134 Scrounging snacks, wild blueberries.View attachment 595135 Yours truly with a shore lunch smallmouth and a bad case of hat hair! (More fish on the stringer)View attachment 595136 And finally to the scrounge. A cedar (I even got paid for cutting this tree) swedish candle worked mint to get our fire going and smelled great. It was center rotted so I dropped some charcoal in it as well and when it burned down, we cooked steak and potatoes. A good trip and time spent with my sons. View attachment 595137
looks awesome @Wood Nazi . wish i had time to do stuff like that but produce season keeps me to busy. would like to get the old "55 johnson out and run it and work some top water lures.
001.jpg
this and this.
shopping

Dan is more industrial (and industrious) than scrounging these days, but all those minivans of wood granted life long scrounger status!

Seriously though, this thread is a mix from very small time urban scroungers like me, through much bigger scale personal scroungers like Cowboy and Steve, personal and family suppliers like Mike and on to those like farmer Steve, valley woods, cantoo and Dan that try and make a few dollars. Which is good, as there's a whole range of info and experience being shared.

That van came in handy at the right time , I had cut plenty of wood before that but wasn't burning at the time but had just installed a furnace then broke my tib/fib just above the ankle .When I got restrictions lifted 8 months later I can tell you that the first and many loads after were more of a struggle than I'll ever let my wife know , then to have to go back under the knife to restart the whole process all over sure was as much of a mental as it was a physical challenge but through this thread , being able to read about how others do things and working with what they have and trying things to see if it will work for me kept me going , being able to post up some of my stuff in the hopes that someone might enjoy/like or even laugh at me kept me going on that road to recovery and I don't regret anything .If I would have went out with the trailer and realized that I wouldn't been able to fill it in the beginning might have set me up for more stress .
I still can't run , still can't jump on the left leg but I now know I can still efficiently clear a house lot and fill a trailer in a reasonable amount of time which is all I can ask for considering my surgeon figured I'd be in for an ankle fusion and I legitimately qualify for a handicap plate .
I've read every post in this thread and will continue , lots to be learned whether it be how to reweld a 3pt arm(or not) dropbears , how every bug , snake or ant could kill , different types of wood , how some cut and process , bacon and maple syrup , why the porch should be painted a certain color .
Nobody has said my way is the only way and there has been no flaming .
Keep on posting , regulars and newbies, from methods , geography , culture and history knowledge is power .
However it is a shame that some of you Southerners will never know how good spruce is .

Have binned all trebles on my lures. Nasty things. Even in a boat, I'm the sort to stab myself, and I've found the act of combining (at least Kiwi) kids and treble hooks are a clinical indicator of serious mental disorder. Even worse in a kayak.

@dancan thanks for those pics, I saw that tool hanging on the back of your truck & pictured immediately what it could do. Never seen before, or heard of log tongs. But I'm already looking where to buy. I drank beer heavy in my late teens up to probably 35ish, got a beer gut that's never gone away lol. And I love not bending over as much. 47 now so.............. I saw some videos & I see you have 2 of them. I'll probably just buy 1 especially if they are $30-$40 but do you suggest getting 2.

I thought I was stylin with just my mighty hook lol. Been using that hook for years, got it from my father in law, old time farmer, cut his own wood for years (14 cord) a season. Uninsulated farmhouse. Anyway, now I cut from his property (only 4 cord) I guess I got it easy. Although he has tractors, skidsteer, & an old john Deere excavator & he let's me use his come along lol. There's the come along hooked to my bumper. And he knows I operated heavy equipment from a forklift to a big link belt excavator with a magnet or shear on it (scrap yard)
f809d8db1d1f500cdb6e1c8c99fa9be1.jpg
52fcb6bf40d0e4e50314b88380a84f97.jpg
0da0180c92af85a37712146876f9b8b6.jpg

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

I can"t get to the bush unless I drive over the beans and getting stir crazy so I did something that I very seldom do. I got our my sprayer. Painted the blade, the mods to my Speeco , one wagon and the log arch. Put hitches on them so I could pull a set of trains too.

IMG_20170808_172837.jpg IMG_20170808_181309.jpg IMG_20170808_181307.jpg

Wow, it's a picture festival in here today. Well, Cowgirl had laughing rights yesterday going skiing in pristine conditions. But today the shoe was on the other foot. Needed new tyres.

9th Aug 1.jpg

And a new car to go with them.

9th Aug 2.jpg

I'll admit I did firm up a bit as I laid 6.2L of justice down on the windy bits coming home :rock: .

My good friends - now relatives since my brother in law met (and subsequently married) their daughter through me - are in Plymouth, further up I93.
Very nice, area is beautiful. I used to through there every summer on way to a friends camp up in Stewartstown (right next to Colebrook). My friends patents had 11 acres up on a mountain. No electricity, not even a generator, no running water. Looking back it was actually great. But friend crashed a snow machine into a tree & became a paraplegic, which led to drugs, then heroin & ultimately death. Sorry.... Anyway I'd love to live in Plymouth area, maybe when youngest finishes high school, never know.

Impossible Turkey Pot Pie

aheejd , I have a pulp hook but I use the tongs the most .
I have 2 sizes as you see in the pics and both are handy , I'd suggest to only buy the Scandi or Euro made ones , the Chinese made ones that I've tried were junk .
Yes, thank you, I was looking at the scandi one, yellow with cork handle. Or husky one. But yes I could tell it would be used allot once I found videos on what its for. Can't wait to get one

Also got a call from my sister, (Barrington NH) & asked if I'd be interested in some firewood. I said absolutely. Her neighbor knocked down a tree, I just gotta chunk up & haul away
98e4e23aec4af33b58feef178b879062.jpg

Impossible Turkey Pot Pie

Cowboy, what's 6.2 come out to, about 360-370 CI? That ought to haul the buns around. I still haven't gotten used to those rubber band tires. I had low profile tires on my VW Golf turbo diesel. Handled great. I hit a pot hole at work, where the snow plow ripped up about a 6 inch thick chunk of asphalt. The hole filled with water so you couldn't see it. Was going exactly 10 MPH and it popped the tire. Guess I was lucky it didn't crack the wheel. Have fun cruising the hills and dales, Joe.

Wow, it's a picture festival in here today. Well, Cowgirl had laughing rights yesterday going skiing in pristine conditions. But today the shoe was on the other foot. Needed new tyres.

View attachment 595171

And a new car to go with them.

View attachment 595172

I'll admit I did firm up a bit as I laid 6.2L of justice down on the windy bits coming home :rock: .

What is that? Don't think we have em around here! Stick or Auto???

It's August 9th, the 9th day of the 8th month, 49 days after the summer equinox, it should be hot, HOT! However as has become common for the last 5-10 years, after a good late spring and early summer we are now having a wash out. 15C and p155ing it down. I've lit the stove, love it! :)

Pics of the future scrounge wagon. Old camper frame that some jagoff cut right behind the axles. No problem for a guy who can weld! Also it's 13' long so the dilemma is, cut it to 12 or cut a foot off 14' boards....hmmm View attachment 587065 One of these is not like the other! I have a set of 4 that match and aren't weather cracked.View attachment 587067 I intended to split this morning and even woke up the laziest son to work the stew out of him for a life lesson. Much to his delight, a thunderstorm blew in. So I'm out in the garage servicing the saws I used last. This end off a broken snow brush is a great tool for cleaning filters in the field and the paint brush gets in the tight spots under the covers. Both are kept in my saw box along with a few tools, spare chains, files, wedges, earplugs and gloves......View attachment 587068
Just looked up where Keady , Ontario is. Looks like you have a real nice spot there. Wife has a friend that lives in Owen Sound. Been there, but had no idea where your place was. Cool.

Latest posts

Back