Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This willow was cut in early June and stacked on a gravel driveway, I brought some home to split for camping wood and with all the rain, it started growing. I'd just bury this piece for giggles if I had a spot for it IMG_1848.JPG Doing my best to endear myself to the neighborhood by burning a couple buckets of damp bark and chips from around the splitter.IMG_1849.JPG

Crap, thought I was gonna croak. Took down a 40", three lead Ash. Full sun, drank 6 bottles of Gatorade, Coconut water, BAi, took magnesium pills. I'm cramping so bad I can't type with both hands. Can only use my right forefinger. If I cup my hands to type, they both cramp up into a fist and I have to peel my fingers open. On top of that, I felt a vibration in my truck on the highway. Grabbed my trailer tire and shook it, clunck, clunck, the bearing is going. Tried the other side, same thing. So, if I can straighten out any of my body parts tomorrow, I guess I'll be putting in a set of bearings, Joe.
There was an old bull and a young bull up on a hill looking down at the herd of cows..... you all probably know the story, but the moral is to pace yourself. Nothing wrong with working up a sweat but you gotta be careful. Not that I always take my advice either. Lol.

well my birthday is tomorrow and in my family we celebrate our birthdays by letting the lucky birthday boy/girl choose to do whatever they want for a weekend and everyone goes along with it. So.. for my choice we spent about 3 hrs this evening scrounging black locust. Tomorrow we're on the splitter and bucking a few more good BL logs to keep us warm this winter.
3e82f2f962c995ffce890fb8d5088317.jpg
993baee642220a3e186ccce0d52dbb76.jpg

Crap, thought I was gonna croak. Took down a 40", three lead Ash. Full sun, drank 6 bottles of Gatorade, Coconut water, BAi, took magnesium pills. I'm cramping so bad I can't type with both hands. Can only use my right forefinger. If I cup my hands to type, they both cramp up into a fist and I have to peel my fingers open. On top of that, I felt a vibration in my truck on the highway. Grabbed my trailer tire and shook it, clunck, clunck, the bearing is going. Tried the other side, same thing. So, if I can straighten out any of my body parts tomorrow, I guess I'll be putting in a set of bearings, Joe.

@MustangMike is right, staying hydrated is the key. Also, the inorganic nitrate in beet juice improves arterial compliance and reduces afterload and BP - temporarily. It does seem to improve endurance as a result. The effect also seems to diminish with consistent consumption so you'd only chug it on the odd occasion when the pressure is on. The reality is, though, if you go and work yourself into the ground way harder than you are used to, no amount of hydration and beet juice is going to stop you from knowing all about it afterwards.

well my birthday is tomorrow and in my family we celebrate our birthdays by letting the lucky birthday boy/girl choose to do whatever they want for a weekend and everyone goes along with it. So.. for my choice we spent about 3 hrs this evening scrounging black locust. Tomorrow we're on the splitter and bucking a few more good BL logs to keep us warm this winter.

That's great! It's my party and I'll scrounge if I want to :cheers:.

Hey @Jeffkrib , after 190km on the bike, my old man - at 71 years of age in 2012 - stopped in at the Blue Duck for a beer when doing the 3 Peaks, just before climbing WTF Hill (and the other 1000m climb up the back of Falls Creek). Now that's how it's done. You can have your beet juice.

Now that is nice! I cut a lot of black locust but never lucked out and got buckskin other than a few odd pieces.

I'd do that if I had more time. When you get into the thick grass even the higher end weed whips could use a bit more grunt.
I took one of those gator weed eater heads and replaced the plastic blade with metal blade I made from a old band saw blade. I turned the bandsaw teeth so that as the blades spin, the teeth chew thru the weeds. It will cut as fast as you can swing the weed eater and you can just walk thru the thick stuff. Also, wear a good set of chaps when using, I havent broken a blade yet, but I have bent the thin bandsaw blade pretty good. Also, if you make your own, dont use a cheap drill to put the hole in the bandsaw material, you will just burn up the bit. High quality cobalt bits, like M32-M42 grade will drill the bandsaw material without burning up the bit. I made my blades 5in long, but the length of the blade will effect the rpm speed of the weed eater and the speed of the cut. If your weed eater is under powered, you might have to trim the cutting tips a little shorter.

Hey @Jeffkrib , after 190km on the bike, my old man - at 71 years of age in 2012 - stopped in at the Blue Duck for a beer when doing the 3 Peaks, just before climbing WTF Hill (and the other 1000m climb up the back of Falls Creek). Now that's how it's done. You can have your beet juice.

Everyone knows you have to carbo load!!!

Agree he is a bit of a t**. Wasn't it a lever axe that knocked his neighbour's tooth out? Htf did she do that?!
I thought it was the "hateful" Fiskars that did it during the Leveraxe review video. She hit the tire on the chopping block and since she wasn't holding firmly to the handle it kicked back.

IIRC Wranglerstar has a longstanding beef with Fiskars because he wasn't happy with the way they took over the Gerber facility near his home. So he goes out of his way to bash their products.

It was his wife that got a fat lip , not quite sure how one would manage that with any ax ?
Pffft , he doesn't know what makes good tractor chains or how to chain up a tractor yet he's and expert and managed to get a free tractor from Yanmar so I guess he's doing something right , clickbait for the win .
I'd rather hang with you guys and see how y'all giterdone , I'll learn much more here :)

Yeah he does some nice stuff in the workshop which is surely the envy of most men, and he shows some lovely countryside off too, plus he generally has a relaxing pace and tone to his blogs. All things that a guy like me, in an urban life but love the outdoors, likes to watch to relax. He does labour some stuff, like his hated of fiskars, but at least he gives his views and some reasons for his feelings so I can respect that, even though I think fiskars axes are superb tools.

Latest posts

Back