Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have second thoughts on this wonderful technology.

I went for the manual shifters on my Madone 7, not because I did not trust the tech, but I did not want another battery that had to be replaced.

Very pleased with the Ultegra 2 X 11, just needs a cable now + then.

How hard is that wood Jim??? I could be wrong, but kinda looks like Norway Maple to me, which is a pretty hard Maple, and tough to split.
The saw went threw that stuff pretty quick.IMG_20170309_125754.jpgI remember Steve saying he thought this might be Norway maple. Its out of the same pile as the stuff with the red streaks.

I had a VW Golf Diesel. Part of the package I got with the car was the first 6 oil changes free. My friends son had a diesel VW too with the same oil change package. When he had to start paying for the changes he decided to do them himself. No big deal to change the oil right? He noticed that the oil plug was hard to get out. Then he couldn't get it started back in the pan, so he put some force on it. Then it leaked. Turns out VW puts new plugs in with every change. He wound up screwing up the pan and it cost him $1200 for the dealer to put on a new pan. After he told me this, I checked my bill and sure enough, there was a charge of about $2 for a new plug, Joe.

As it turned out that VW was probably the best car I ever owned. I payed $23,000 for it new, drove it for four years and put 85K miles on it. In the Diesel fiasco and by back, they gave $21,000 to get it back.

My Skoda Octavia is basically the VW golf (Audi A3, seat Leon also the same car)

Mines petrol, it has a plastic sump and plug, yep I kid you not.
It also has start/stop, and the car monitors the battery carefully so it needs to know it's characteristics - hence why it's a dealer job to change.
It also requires the entire bumper to be removed to access the headlight for a new bulb.
Joy.

My Skoda Octavia is basically the VW golf (Audi A3, seat Leon also the same car)

Mines petrol, it has a plastic sump and plug, yep I kid you not.
It also has start/stop, and the car monitors the battery carefully so it needs to know it's characteristics - hence why it's a dealer job to change.
It also requires the entire bumper to be removed to access the headlight for a new bulb.
Joy.
a plastic sump what will they think of next to save money i don't think that would last to long where i live

Does anyone happen to have the phone number of the chap who'll pay you money to come around and cut down walnut trees in your garden?
I have something he may be interested in:

i-dNRBTFw-M.jpg

A fine example of now dead and gone Chusan palm. It's basically useless, it doesn't burn well at all and it chips somehow worse but a bloke who knows nothing about trees (or anything) told me palm trees are highly valuable, so that walnut tree bloke and his big check book may come in handy now! :D

i-zf7ST27-M.jpg

I am always happy to use the little plastic bastard. It was an excellent buy and it has long paid itself. This palm was big and hard work so she got a nice industrial detergent bath as a reward. :heart:

I burn a fair bit of box elder. First batch I came across, I sold for campfire wood because people told me it was no good. That winter I had some left, mostly odd shapes that had been on top of my stacks so in the stove it went and I was pleasantly surprised. It burns good for me and right down to nothing. I don’t think I’d want to try to heat solely with it but I mix it in with ash and elm and maple. Free is free and if it’s close and easy pickings, I don’t turn my nose up at it.

I did a big one for a friend in town (blow down). Yes it burns well, the only bad thing I cans say about it is that it one baitch to split, strings and more strings. I finally got out the hatchet and kept it at the splitter. Faster to chop the strings than to reverse the chunk.

View attachment 623037 I asked about this stuff last year because it was throwing bright red chips and was told box elder leave it where you found it not worth the time as firewood. Didn't have all the red you see in some Google images but also wasn't that big.
I didn't realize you were posting pics of different specimens. I thought they were all of the same tree, and I couldn't put them together. I thought this one kind of looked like Norway Maple, and the red spots look like Ambrosia, caused by the Ambrosia beetle. The leaves on the ground didn't match up to Norway, so I didn't say anything. If that is just a pile dumped on the ground the leaves could be anything, Joe.

We have a ton of box elder around here and I always have some. The red streak wood definitely looks box elder to me. I never find it splits that crazy if you can find a straight piece. Problem we see is that it grows funky from being in field rows so you can lots of crotches and branch elbows. Don't know that I would be hand splitting it though. It isn't bad wood. Drys fast and burns hot just doesn't last a long time. Stinks to high hell and will rot if left on the ground too long. Once you've smelt box elder you don't even need to see it to ID it.

Will give it a try. I searched the forum and saw that some purple stuff works too. I will try diesel. Overnight do the trick? Or does it take longer.
well stuck the worse chain is straight zep purple cleaner and it worked great. Then put it straight in to diesel. I advise against thst. The fluid started bubbling lmao.

Next chain soaked rinsed then dropped on diesel. Works awesome

Went to Boss Excavating to sign that waiver. Got to the front door and there was a sign on the front door that said "GUNS ALLOWED HERE".

I knew at that point it was gonna be a good day.

Was met at the front desk by 2 beautiful young women. Even better. Drove over to the site and got my truck close enough to the pile for a pic. You can only see the front half of the pile in the pic next to my truck. In the pic with the 3 big trunks, the holes that are rotted are TWO FEET in diameter. When I walked up to those big trunks they came up to my nose. I'm glad I got the 395. I think the biggest bar I can put on a 395 without voiding warranty is 42", and the biggest I got is 32". I didnt think I would ever need a 42" bar but I didnt plan on 10 tons of 48" OAK falling into my lap. From what I can see without un-burying stuff there are FIVE big red oak trunks in there, and they make the other big stuff in that pile look small.

ahm gonna needz helps.

Attachments

• 20180104_165014.jpg
    20180104_165014.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20180104_165525.jpg
    20180104_165525.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
Went to Boss Excavating to sign that waiver. Got to the front door and there was a sign on the front door that said "GUNS ALLOWED HERE".

I knew at that point it was gonna be a good day.

Was met at the front desk by 2 beautiful young women. Even better. Drove over to the site and got my truck close enough to the pile for a pic. You can only see the front half of the pile in the pic next to my truck. In the pic with the 3 big trunks, the holes that are rotted are TWO FEET in diameter. When I walked up to those big trunks they came up to my nose. I'm glad I got the 395. I think the biggest bar I can put on a 395 without voiding warranty is 42", and the biggest I got is 32". I didnt think I would ever need a 42" bar but I didnt plan on 10 tons of 48" OAK falling into my lap. From what I can see without un-burying stuff there are FIVE big red oak trunks in there, and they make the other big stuff in that pile look small.

ahm gonna needz helps.
whoa that’s some lumber. I found 2 cord of eucalyptus I’m trying to get my dad to go with me and get. It’s along a country road cut in to 12 foot lengths. Must of blocked a highway. 2 foot at smallest 3 at big end. Going to haul the skid steer down and load 4 foot sections in the bucket and on to the trailer. He. Burns it in his stove.

Are you sure cowboy? I'm guessing, if it's like most modern cars in Europe, your car may have start/stop tech. If that's the case..... It's dealer for a battery.

No, we don't do that sissy stop/start rubbish here. Cowgirl can even change the battery in these.

I'm back :).
And all caught up.
First of all Merry Christmas and happy new yr to everyone :D.
We get complacent with gasoline; forget that it is the vapors that burn, not the liquid.

Chainsaw explosion kills man from York County
November 16, 2017 November 25, 2017
Warrington Township, PA – 68 year old David Baker died from complications that arose from “full thickness” burns. Baker was working at his home when his chainsaw caught on fire. According to the Pennsylvania State Police, Baker’s Poulan chainsaw was not defective. He was working with the saw when gasoline from the saw spilled over his clothes. Baker was trying to start the chainsaw at the time. The gasoline ignited and caught his clothes on fire. He was unable to put the fire out before receiving critical burns. Baker was transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Salisbury Township where he died on Friday from 85 percent full thickness burns.

http://dripline.net/chainsaw-explosion-kills-man-york-county/

Philbert
That's very sad.
When using accelerants things happen fast, that's why they are called accelerants :yes:.
I live in York county and heard nothing about this outside of AS land.
A local guy here who did a lot of sharpening and tree work was killed, I only came to know about it through talking with the guy we get our milk from, this a year after it happened.
He was limbing a large maple and he cut the last branch and the tree rolled over on him, the guy with him could do nothing for him.
Be careful out there guys.

Latest posts

Back