Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing they dont do that here. When it's cold I leave the truck run all day. I dont shut it off till I get home from running everywhere, sometimes 6hrs run time.

Spokane, Wa - ticket you for that. There are lot of vehicles been stolen over the years because people start them to warm up and go back in the house for a bit of coffee.

Good morning all you lucky sap suckers who get to stay in the warm today.....
Severals weeks ago..found 3 cords of 3 year old css red oak n black locust for a very good price. Decided 2 weeks ago to pick it up today....(would have to be the worst cold so far). Luckily a co worker who works 4)10s offered to help otherwise it would have been just the wife n i (she wouldn't have lasted long in this stuff)...ill take a couple pics of our find.
Everybody have an awesome day!!!:blob2:

-6 F here. Or -21 C. I’m one of the few Canadians that converts Celsius to Fahrenheit I was in elementary school when Canada switched to the metric system but I spent 14 years living in “Murica” so I got educated in both....I’m so confused right now I’m not sure how warm it is in the house so I put one metric log and one standard one in the stove this morning just to be safe!

Spokane, Wa - ticket you for that. There are lot of vehicles been stolen over the years because people start them to warm up and go back in the house for a bit of coffee.

That stinks and is good to know. My truck has a remote starter and my next one will as well. It's one of those convenience items that once you have it there is no going away from it. What's neat with my wifes new car that you dont have to put the key in the ignition is that I can go out and start it and take the keys back in the house while it warms up. It will stay running but will not move without the key being inside the vehicle.

-6 F here. Or -21 C. I’m one of the few Canadians that converts Celsius to Fahrenheit I was in elementary school when Canada switched to the metric system but I spent 14 years living in “Murica” so I got educated in both....I’m so confused right now I’m not sure how warm it is in the house so I put one metric log and one standard one in the stove this morning just to be safe!
I'd play it to my advantage, which ever system was closest to where I wanted it to be, is the one I'd use. -6 sounds better than -21 so that's where I'd be. Just sent the wife a text to pic up a big round thermometer to hang on the fence outside the kitchen window, doesn't have to be accurate, just close.

I've always been an East Coast Wood Snob. About 4 years ago I cut down a bunch of Ailanthus trees, and instead of dragging them to the burn pile, I split and stacked them in the wood shed. The past few years have been so mild I haven't gotten to the back of the shed. So, finally, I moved that back wall to the front porch to burn, it was a mix of all 4 year old Oak, Cherry, and Ailanthus. It burns OK, but I have a big canvas bag I carry the wood into the house with. One load of Oak in that bag usually burns all day (12 hours). I've been going through 3-4 bags using the mix. I've never burned Ash before, not because of the Snob thing, just never had any. On page 1351 I posted pics of the big Ash my BIL and I cut up last week. I just brought in one of my canvas bags full to see how it does, report to come in a few hours, Joe.

Local weather says it 14 with minus 4 wind chill. My cheap thermometer says 20 in the sun. My splitting area is right on top of the hill between two sections of woods. The wind there is brutal. I've been splitting 3-4 blocks and then doing something else for a while. I hoped to fill a half cord rack, but if I don't finish, I don't care.

Latest posts

Back