Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smaller trunks definitely look like cherry. But that is a huge base to be a cherry tree. Seems like they normally top out at around 18" diameter but appears yours is a double leader that are both well over that diameter.
I wouldn' touch the main tree. It can become a blow down some day and I'll figure it out then. There's visible rot at the bottom and it' already split once as can be seen in the pictures. Well above my skill set :yes:.

Smaller trunks definitely look like cherry. But that is a huge base to be a cherry tree. Seems like they normally top out at around 18" diameter but appears yours is a double leader that are both well over that diameter.
we grow 'em big here in pennsyltucky. my dad had some logging done a few years ago and the logger did a walkabout and ended up buying quite a few cherry trees.

View attachment 636591 View attachment 636592 Down and cut up View attachment 636593 this is what it looks like when it' cut. May have to use what I learned in the @Just a Guy that cuts wood crash course on bore cutting leaners for the last one but it' starting to rain again so it will have to wait.
:clap::clap::clap:

When I get home from picking the kid up from school. I was walking the tree line looking for a strait 8' chunk of mulberry for the guy at work to make a bow out of.
i got one down in the pasture just waitin on a chainsaw as soon as the slop lets up.

Heating the house with mitre saw cutoffs. Baskets from cutting off stuff that was too long for the stove. Some of the pieces are only an inch long. I dont want to bring any more wood in. All the stuff I have left outside is soaked. Way too much rain in the last week. I have enough stashed here and there around the house to get through mid March I think, some in the garage, some in the basement, some in the bedroom, couple pieces in the sock drawer :D and I dont want a huge load that I have to take back out after burning season.

Heating the house with mitre saw cutoffs. Baskets from cutting off stuff that was too long for the stove. Some of the pieces are only an inch long. I dont want to bring any more wood in. All the stuff I have left outside is soaked. Way too much rain in the last week. I have enough stashed here and there around the house to get through mid March I think, some in the garage, some in the basement, some in the bedroom, couple pieces in the sock drawer :D and I dont want a huge load that I have to take back out after burning season.
it'll dry good in the sock drawer over the summer. leave it there.:laughing:

I was getting a bit short on the back porch. Had to use the snowblower to work down the plow berm the state is so kind to donate to me. While I had it out I cleared a path from shed to porch and then from stacks in the pasture to the shed. Decided to haul from stacks direct to porch. Only got 3 loads in before it was obvious I was turning the track into a muddy mess. Weather warmed up and almost all of the snow is gone tonight. I'll have to wait till the pasture dries out some before moving more wood.

Talk about Jekyl and Hyde winter for you Northeastern guys! Three different snowfalls and two weeks with 70 plus degrees in between.

MN winter usually means any snow on the ground at thanksgiving will still be on the ground until late March. We usually get a January thaw for two or three days which will clear up the roads and knock down the snow a little and then it's back to cold till early March.

Talk about Jekyl and Hyde winter for you Northeastern guys! Three different snowfalls and two weeks with 70 plus degrees in between.

MN winter usually means any snow on the ground at thanksgiving will still be on the ground until late March. We usually get a January thaw for two or three days which will clear up the roads and knock down the snow a little and then it's back to cold till early March.

It used to be like that here. Snow would come in Nov and stay till mid March. Not any more. Hey, they used to cut ice here from the lakes (for NYC) after it was 18" thick, think that has only happened about twice in the last decade or two. The ICE house was as big as a football field, and they had their own jail for guys who had too much to drink (no real Sheriff, etc).

Back