Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.27.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.27.23 AM.png
    631.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.26.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.26.00 AM.png
    467 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 10.40.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 10.40.57 AM.png
    959.3 KB · Views: 7
No, you are a Debbie Downer!:laughing: Enjoy the whole experience! :yes: But, I hate cleaning peoples saws that lack basic maintenance and ask what could be wrong. :crazy2: I enjoy all of it, just leave me alone when I am in my garage! Just giving you a :buttkick:. It's all good fun as long as no one gets hurt.
So I am, but at least I'm having fun while doing it lol.
You'd hate to clean mine then, I don't even change the oil in them, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong o_O.
Well I've been given worse :omg:.

Iv seen all kinds of colors in poplar around here green,blue,purple,pink. Cut one up for fire wood for my cousin last winter that had all those colors in the same tree.

The colors are great when you find them, but they fade with time and go towards medium to dark brown.

They're all trembling when I come to the woods with a saw:laughing:.

This is tulip poplar(pictures below.
As Mike was saying it is part of the magnolia family, and commonly sold as poplar.

Pretty sure it's because of the flowers?

All good points. The regional and industry names for woods have crept into the language and add the ambiguity. Tulip poplar goes by many names (here it is called yellow poplar or just poplar) and good luck getting any consistency or compliance.

Here's a 54" DBH poplar in my woodlot.

That gives me an idea--- next project Im turning the world's biggest lamp from that stick. stay tuned!

0a01aa3d70f0f3c5a31627334b8d7b83.jpg

I liked ready his stuff. Added humor to the threads. Wherever did he go?
I didn't think it was too funny, if it was a joke it would have been funny, he was serious as can be.
He was given the boot here and then also at the other placeOPE, haven't seen him on any others yet.
He still uploads vids to youtube on occasion, I keep an eye out for and on guys like that, they concern me.
I believe he was banned after he started threatening folks.

He was so off kilter that I question if he was just a shill from another site who came over to stir shiz up......
Yes, sent to camp for the threats, and I think the brand new 880(or the 461 I can't remember) with the numbers ground off might have had something to do with it too :dumb:.
Unfortunately it wasn't a joke, you saw that "muffler mod", he certainly thought outside the box, but that isn't always a good thing.

880 or 661 with the serial removed I think. Not a good thing!
I've got a 365 open port with a tag someone made for it, cheesy as all get out, I figure they made it just to keep track of their saws. It's not uncommon to see huskys missing a tag, when the dealers warranty out a saw many remove the tags, seen a few like that.
There was also a member who posted an 880 that the numbers were ground off, and there was a story of how the saw was "borrowed" from the previous owners place of employment which just so happened to be the government, that was a bit concerning.
Not sure if that thread was removed or not.

Thanks to all on AS for the tremendous info you provide. I'm used to cutting logs down to length or rounds. Came upon this black locust someone offered me. Log is a few inches off the ground.

Problem: The further down I cut, the weight closed the cut up top and picked the bar/chain shut.

Solutions:
1) a wedge or two in the cut?
2) support from the bottom??

Thanks all. Enjoying the firewood/saw scene and learning a ton along the way:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Thanks to all on AS for the tremendous info you provide. I'm used to cutting logs down to length or rounds. Came upon this black locust someone offered me. Log is a few inches off the ground.

Problem: The further down I cut, the weight closed the cut up top and picked the bar/chain shut.

Solutions:

3) cut on the top of the bar and pull the saw from the bottom up.

Really, any of the 3 would get the job done.
1) if you have wedges
2) lacking wedges and if you can get a large enough log into the right place
3) if you feel comfortable pulling up on the bar and know how to NOT cut your face off as the bar leaves the wood

When I have a log up in the air like that, I never cut straight down from the top. I will start the cut just over center from the top and cut down thru the side opposite of where I am standing, until I have made it down to or about the bottom of the log. I then will use the tip of the bar to cut down on the opposite side, the side I am standing on, just until the log starts to squeeze. Then I cut up from the bottom. I have gotten stuck a time or two, but not very often and I never carry any wedges with me into the woods.

@LondonNeil could you even get away with running a muffler modded saw in the city?

Yes, and no. There is no law against it unless I were to do it at stupid times like after 11pm. In a suburban area like here, any anti social noise from music to saws can be reported to the council and they have officers that would act but like most social services it is underfunded and takes ages to do anything...repeated offending likely or at least noise for many many hours into the night. A few of my less considerate neighbours have kept me, my fiancee and my 2 little girls awake until the small hours with garden partying and music that is both far far too loud, and xxx rated vocals....if it were just them I'd annoy I'd run the saw all flipping night!

I ten to keep saw use to short spells, normally 1 or 2 tanks, occasionally 3, and normally day time. i did do a tank this evening after work, but it was done in under 40 mins and before 10 past 8. I'll do a tank tomorrow eveing, and friday evening.

I would stay stock though, no point being a **** about it, I do have to live with my neighbours.

Solutions:

Bore cut a few inches down from the top of the log to keep it from pinching.

Solutions:

I don't typically use wedges much when bucking unless it's real big wood. I will choose a point I want to cut the log all the way through usually where the log is off the ground a bit so I don't hit the dirt accidentally(I don't cut it yet though), then I start cutting rounds to length from the end working to that point but I only cut them until each cut starts to close down. So now what you have is a log with a bunch of cuts that go 3/4 or so through the log and I'm now at the spot where I want to cut all the way through.
Bore cut a few inches down from the top of the log to keep it from pinching.
Then I do what James said :rolleyes:, this keeps me from having to bore cut every piece and now I can roll the log and get the rest of the cuts made. Be sure you can roll the log without tools if you don't have a way to roll it.

If you don't know how to bore cut you may want to practice on a different species as locust can be a bit unforgiving when boring :surprised3:.
If that's the case you can cut in enough so you can drop a wedge in the top of the cut, give it a little tap and then cut all the way through to the bottom.
You can do this in a place where the log os off the ground a bit so you don't hit the dirt just as I described above and then roll the log as above.

Back