Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new Makita marketing strap.
"The 7900, it's a saw for the 'burbs"

Ahhh the long dead art of customer service..... No call back. Seems no one wants to sell me the saw! Take my money!!! Oh hang on..... You already did....2 months ago....ffs, I'm being shafted.
If WoP won't listen to their customer, perhaps hearing from their Makita UK representative will make a difference. I went this route complaining to the manufacturer about their useless retailer, and suddenly said retailer couldn't be more obliging. YMMV

I wont buy anything like that if I cant walk into a dealer and hold it in my hands first. Cash and carry. With face-to-face customer service.
We could do that here, but when it comes to chainsaws we'd have to bring our own jar of petroleum jelly with us every time.

@dancan how long does spruce need to season? My MIL has a blue spruce along the drive way she wants down and I figure if it's going to basicly fall in the firewood pile why not.

Cut and split in the spring , ready in the fall :)

With the weather we've been having so far , cut and split in August , ready in October Lol
80 Merican at 9:00pm with a feels like 92 up here right now in Igloo .
I'll trade you. Its pouring hear and all the roads are starting to flood over. 6 acre field down the road looks like a lake and the rains showing no signs of slowing.:sucks:

I'll trade you. Its pouring hear and all the roads are starting to flood over. 6 acre field down the road looks like a lake and the rains showing no signs of slowing.:sucks:
Steve said he was going to mow the yard, I was wondering how, did you see my post with the screen shot of the radar in PA over in the GMT.

Heading over to drop some birch snags at a high school classmate’s cabin. Supposed to be raining already and it isn’t. Hope it’s all done by 1 like they are predicting.

Have several saws to run and used bar/chain combos to test.

I sold a bunch of my one-off chains two weeks ago and now have saws that need them. Go figure lol.

Those of you that use the stihl/pferd 2in1 files, I think i've found something to watch out for. you may laugh and say 'what a muppet' mind, but bear in mind I'd never sharpened my own chains until i bought the 2in1 coming up a year ago. since then I've found it so easy the same chain has stayed on the saw and it get tickled every tank or 2. This was a brand new chain, never touched. recently i noticed it still cut chips but not big chips. on a close inspection of the chain i noticed 2 things, first not all cutters had been filed back equally, odd as i do the same number of strokes, and the rakers were still untouched even though the cutters are now half way back or more (I'd been filing more aggressively of late to try and get bigger chips). After watching a few youtube vids I realised i may have a prefered side and yes...most of the short cutters seem to be on one side ...so a few more strokes on the weaker side and cutters are looking more equal...roughly. rakers still untouched! eh? look again and the cutters are getting an island as they file back, and although the top plate/corner is ok-ish the side plate comes up vertically, no hook. it looks like the file isn't going deep enough. Well I'm feeling confident after a year of 2in1fileing and have a go free hand.....I've watched Buckin' and i go for the gullet [you gotta get the gullet!], 10 strokes free hand down on the gullet, then 3 level free hand to tidy the corner again. to my eye the cutters are looking much better, albeit short now. while free handing I get the flat file out and give each raker 6 strokes. much better, next time i run the saw will be a test, but to my eye the chain looks much better. then i go to put the files back in the 2in1 holder...which way around? errrr...errrr ahthhh! the round file only goes one way, that's cleaver. now the flat, its chamfered at one end, that must be so it only fits one way...oh, no, it fits either way round and either way up. then suddenly it dawns. I think i had the flat file the wrong way up. hence it would not have been cutting the rakers, just polishing them, hence as the cutters come back the flat file against the rakers was starting to lift the round file, hence the cutter shape was starting to look odd. That's my theory anyway. I need to test the free handed chain out though...see if it cuts like a new chain, cuts in a circle, or chatters badly, or just creates dust.
So, is my 2in1 broken, or am i a total muppet, or is an upside down flat file a mistake others have made?

BTW, my loop seemed to have 2 links with hard rakers that i couldn't really file down, the cutters on those links have filed back fine, its just the raker that somehow is hard, does that happen often? the chain btw is not a stihl, its a cheap brand but seems to hold up ok on the 180. I stick to stihl for bigger saws though.

I keep getting more saws running, 046/460, 044, and 440 BBs (with the help of Asian kits + / or parts). Trouble is, I've run out of B+Cs to put on them.

I've also been experimenting with some minor porting of cylinders. Seems there are big gains to be found in a lot of jugs just by lowering the intake, which does not require any special tools (I can do it with a half round file).

Mostly just a lot of fun + learning, but I'm bringing some old saws (044 + 046) back to life, and producing some new 440 BBs. A local tree guy "tested" one of my big bores on one of his jobs and bought the saw the same day, so I guess I'm doing something right! Said it was both lighter and stronger than his 460, which he really liked with a muff mod and timing advance.

Latest posts

Back