Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot here. Been a hot summer. I have trees waiting on me but I seem to have lost my “want to” At breakfast this morning I made an offhand comment about how I needed to get started on moving wood to the racks under the deck for winter. One son said “let’s go”. I do not let opportunities like that pass by so we hustled and loaded 2 racks and fixed a third that had half collapsed. It’s a good start.

I keep getting more saws running, 046/460, 044, and 440 BBs (with the help of Asian kits + / or parts). Trouble is, I've run out of B+Cs to put on them.

I've also been experimenting with some minor porting of cylinders. Seems there are big gains to be found in a lot of jugs just by lowering the intake, which does not require any special tools (I can do it with a half round file).

Mostly just a lot of fun + learning, but I'm bringing some old saws (044 + 046) back to life, and producing some new 440 BBs. A local tree guy "tested" one of my big bores on one of his jobs and bought the saw the same day, so I guess I'm doing something right! Said it was both lighter and stronger than his 460, which he really liked with a muff mod and timing advance.
You are doing it right Mike. Lots of guys “over there” are stuck in the minutia of getting that last 1/10th of a horse (and the drama that goes with it). They have forgotten the fun of a good torquey woods saw.

20180804_143122.jpg 20180804_143130.jpg 20180804_143144.jpg I cleaned up a wood pile for a local home building company the other year with help from @farmer steve and another local friend. Well they bought another property about 5 minutes from my place :dumb2:. Going to make a phone call Monday morning about cleaning up at the new place. @bear1998 looking for a reason to give the ported 395 some exercise?

think the sunshine went to my head...

I may need a bit of help.

So with the fiancee and girls away i got to the 038avs at last. I hada fuel leak when squeezing the trigger to start the saw, and a wondering idle making me think i needed carb work, and maybe had a split intake gasket...so I'd spent about 8 quid with farmertec on a bing carb and and intke boot

first off the tilaston carb (left) is slightly differient to the replacement bing (right) as you can see the bing has a port extra that i'm pointing to, is that just a vent or???

IMG_20180804_170329.jpg

then I realised I needed to get the case off the handle to get the intake boot off, fine...I'll give it a good clean as i go, take photos and then I've lots of pictures to use when i sell on ebay. I found a few more problems....all stuff i sort of expected....knackered hoses/rubbers

First this little one here, a tank vent? its split to buggery. it looks to just poke through the hole by the av mount and end, is that right? just vents to there...or has it perished and snapped and it should go somewhere? what do I buy btw, tank vent hose?

IMG_20180804_174420.jpg
heres where it ends, oh and as you can see, the next problem...a knackered av mount. the other 3 are ok, that one, totally toast. was a real pain to get the middle screw out the handle...molegrips did it.

IMG_20180804_174435.jpg

AV mounts off, earth lead unplugged and threaded out the handle and... eeeewwwwww, what a lot of crud

IMG_20180804_180830.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180804_174435.jpg
    IMG_20180804_174435.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 6
more stripping and cleaning...all ok here
IMG_20180804_185941.jpg

Then i got really carreid away and engaged the torx without engaging my brain and did this.....

IMG_20180804_192302.jpg

well its clean.... and so is the coil...

IMG_20180804_192651.jpg

ok...so...err.. what is the gap I need to set? 20 thou? and where exaclt do i stick the feeler gauages, middle, or the two ends of the horseshoe? oops. really need to try and think before i spanner.

still, got it clean

IMG_20180804_195321.jpg

Ok, so I need to know the coil gap, I also need a rear upper av mount, the others are ok but...do I just swap the lot? remember the saw is going to be sold but i don't mind spending a few quid on farmertec parts before i sell it. I also need that hose. While its all stripped down, do I also replace the fuel hose? is that easy or a right fiddle? oh and is the bing carb incorrect? what is the extra port?

Oh and....the intake boot is fine..hmm..where is my air leak?

Illustration from the classic VW repair book:
"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot", illustrated by Peter Aschwanden, and worth the cost, just for the pictures.
Screen shot 2018-08-04 at 4.23.58 PM.png

A couple of other books worth the price for the illustrations:

"To Fell a Tree" , by Jeff Jepson, illustrated by Byran Kotwica

"Kayak: The Animated Manual of Intermediate and Advanced Whitewater Technique", by William Nealy

Philbert

Latest posts

Back