Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we managed to haul it all in one load.
image.jpg

Neil, one thing at a time! Replace the carb and check fuel line and impulse line. Then see if it runs OK, don't go searching for air leaks that may not exist.

And you don't need to submerge the saw. If pressure is leaking, tip the saw on it's side and spray the seal with Windex and see if it bubbles … then the other one, then gasket, etc.

I would check the power side seal first. Then, make sure you check the bearings, absolutely no play in the crank when the seal is out.

Well guys, I'm sure nobody remembers me, but its been two years since I was on AS. Long story short my wife and I bought a house in the 'burbs and I know longer cut fireweood. Our kid count has grown to 2, the 660 got sold and life has been very busy on other fronts. However, my family has recently taken over care of my aunt's cabin in the mountains of eastern WV. Dad and I are planning to install my 21 model buck stove in the camp this weekend and I have begun my long lost hobby of scrounging firewood. Not much to report yet, just some pallet wood from the local john deere dealer to split up for kindling and stacking pallets, but hey its a start.

I put fuel in the 310 and started it for the first time in 2 years this evening. Fired up after about three pulls, pretty cool. I had actually forgotten that I had done the muffler mod and fuel screw mod. Feels great to be eyeing every stray blowdown I see again!

Attachments

• IMG_7524.JPG
    IMG_7524.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
No lamps from oak. Too coarse is the grain. I occasionally cut some trailer planks with it. We cut down plenty of black walnut; I'd use that first for lamps or furniture. We get an occasional cherry tree, and quite a few red maples, too. Junipers, pecan (rarely), lots of other stuff too. I even took out a beautiful chestnut tree a couple of years ago. No beech trees.

In fact, I think I have two blown over maples to pick up at a cemetery. There will be plenty of highly figured burl in those trees. It'll just go to the landfill like the rest.

If'n you guys want some, just let me know. We will load it onto your truck for free.

Oh damn! Is Kansas City too far to drive?

Kansas City grows trees like weeds. Zillions of varieties, they grow fast, but get blown down or rotten all the time.

Nobody scrounges for firewood around here.
1. There aren't that many firewood burners around here. I'm not sure why.
2. If anybody wants firewood, all they have to do is call a tree service and ask for it.
Hell, I would deliver the logs for free if it isn't too far. I generally have to pay somebody for disposal of the logs.
That whole story about all those trees and nobody wants them sounds like a story about a wood scrounger that can’t get the wood that should have been shown on the Twilight Zone.

20180830_172327.jpg At least theres good wood at the new scrounge spot. Found that dogwood buried in a pile of brush. Mostly oak with some locust mixed in.20180830_091559.jpg Oak on the left locust on the right. The oak side was empty Wednesday morning it'll be full to the roof tomorrow morning.

Just a saw pic as we ran out of daylight while loading.

My neighbor had cleaned up a big pile of tops I had been working on so I had to move to the next pile. I got almost a cord and a half cut and loaded in two hours with the help of a couple kids.

The 55 I rebuilt this past winter runs great. Pulls the 20” bar nicely. I ran that until I hit some dirt. Need to get the chain brake working, file the chain, and get it in the mail to my uncle down in North Carolina. I was surprised how much torque it has compared to most of my other mid cc saws. May need to build another for myself.

I then ran the Poulan 5020 with the recent muffler mod until I ran out of wood at that tops pile. Neighbor rolled up and said when he could hear the saw loud and clear from his yard and knew that it must be me cutting lol. That saw is snappy and just a lot of fun to cut with after the muffler mod and shorter bar were added.

I bought the bar on the 550 off eBay and was surprised to see it was RSN. I thought I ordered a standard non-RSN bar but I’m not complaining!
9A7ED557-9092-4534-A637-883C78B08F0A.jpeg

That whole story about all those trees and nobody wants them sounds like a story about a wood scrounger that can’t get the wood that should have been shown on the Twilight Zone.

Those logs I posted the pics of have been sitting there for over a month. Only one person has inquired about them. I've had a log pile there for over 5 years, and no one yet has offered to haul them off for me nor to cut them up & take them. Not only that, but they are on an intersection of two of the busiest streets in town.

Like I said, C'mon down! We'll load your truck for you.

Those logs I posted the pics of have been sitting there for over a month. Only one person has inquired about them. I've had a log pile there for over 5 years, and no one yet has offered to haul them off for me nor to cut them up & take them. Not only that, but they are on an intersection of two of the busiest streets in town.

Trust me, if it wasn’t so far I’ld take you up on the offer. Not often but a few times I’ve stopped and asked about cutting up down trees, “Nope, I’m going to cut that up for firewood.” 3 years later it’s still laying there untouched.

Like the guys have "Chimed" in already , eat more beans and toot to the family more than you already do ;)

Cowgirl says she's not sure that's possible :numberone:.

Well guys, I'm sure nobody remembers me, but its been two years since I was on AS. Long story short my wife and I bought a house in the 'burbs and I know longer cut fireweood. Our kid count has grown to 2, the 660 got sold and life has been very busy on other fronts. However, my family has recently taken over care of my aunt's cabin in the mountains of eastern WV. Dad and I are planning to install my 21 model buck stove in the camp this weekend and I have begun my long lost hobby of scrounging firewood. Not much to report yet, just some pallet wood from the local john deere dealer to split up for kindling and stacking pallets, but hey its a start.

I put fuel in the 310 and started it for the first time in 2 years this evening. Fired up after about three pulls, pretty cool. I had actually forgotten that I had done the muffler mod and fuel screw mod. Feels great to be eyeing every stray blowdown I see again!

Hey, I remember you. I reckon you might have stopped posting about the time I started but I read through this entire thread (up to page ~850 or so as it was then) before I posted while I was recuperating from some surgery and I remember seeing your posts. Welcome back!

Bit far for me. And I don't have a truck. And if I did, I'm not sure it could swim far enough to get to Kansas. Then I'd have to swim back and then face up to Customs and Quarantine when I got home. Not sure it'd be worth it, thanks all the same.

My early birthday gift to myself, a 24” k095 bar. The cat is slightly less excited than I am lol.
View attachment 671886

Looks like you were so excited about your bar that you forgot to feed the cat. I'd be pi55ed off too.

Thats exactly why I have the 20/32 for the 395. A 28 would probably be fine also, but I have had to use the 32 to drop big ash before and it was barely enough. Cutting on both sides of big felling cuts makes me nervous. Being able to get across with one good strait cut makes me feel better. I tend to cut really low to the ground so its hard to see through the cut to line stuff up once I have a cut started.
Valley Firewood always asked why I cut my stumps so high. I like to make my felling cut at waist height. At that height I can usually get by with the 660 and 25" bar, then go around the job site when finished and flush the stumps with the Super 1050 and 36" bar. Also, with my bad knees, I can turn and walk away from a waist height cut. If I'm on my knees making a low cut, I'm stuck there. The 25" bar on the 660 and 24" on the Homelite, even though rather heavy saws, are well balanced. Going to the 36" on either of them gets a bit cumbersome. Can't wait till I get the 45" bar on a saw. I'll bring that to the GTG next year.

Trust me, if it wasn’t so far I’ld take you up on the offer. Not often but a few times I’ve stopped and asked about cutting up down trees, “Nope, I’m going to cut that up for firewood.” 3 years later it’s still laying there untouched.
It takes longer to season in log form lol.

Sorry I didn't get any pics. My MIL's next door neighbor had a giant Oak in their front yard. Several years ago they asked me to look at it, it had a big split in the main trunk, with the house service wires running under it. I gave them a price of $2000 to remove it. Fast forward to a couple days ago, they had me look again. The crack was opening and closing with a gentle breeze. I told them to call the power company, they might take down the part over the wires. They came out and looked, and the next day, Asplundh was in the front yard. Took the whole tree down, cleaned up and left a couple loads of chips in my MIL's side yard. When we were still in business, the power company would remove the dangerous parts over the wires, but just leave a big mess for the tree guy to clean up before he got started on the rest of the take down. I was quite surprised.

Valley Firewood always asked why I cut my stumps so high. I like to make my felling cut at waist height. At that height I can usually get by with the 660 and 25" bar, then go around the job site when finished and flush the stumps with the Super 1050 and 36" bar. Also, with my bad knees, I can turn and walk away from a waist height cut. If I'm on my knees making a low cut, I'm stuck there. The 25" bar on the 660 and 24" on the Homelite, even though rather heavy saws, are well balanced. Going to the 36" on either of them gets a bit cumbersome. Can't wait till I get the 45" bar on a saw. I'll bring that to the GTG next year.
I usually leave at least two 16" pieces to the flush cut, why bend over when it's just firewood, I get bending if you selling the sticks but other than that it doesn't often make sense.
I dropped these this spring, they have been seasoning lol, and the farmer was finally ready to get some firewood for the end of the season so I bucked them up yesterday.
That was a high stop, but I wanted to be sure I was in solid wood. I had to cut from both sides with a 28 for the bore cuts but the faces were pretty shallow. I was kinda amazed I got the second lead to come over with wedges as it was back leaning hard, I had to cut 95% of the hinge before it would release, would have been easier with the tractor and the skidding winch :yes:.
Edit; 24" bar :rare2::lol:.
IMG_20180424_154353685.jpg IMG_20180830_192845035.jpg

Latest posts

Back