Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we’re talking the same rodent, around here we call them pine squirrels. They are one of the most destructive critters I’ve ever seen. Most people around here try to eradicate any they see.
I try to keep a few around because they are fun to watch. But will eliminate them if they get too plentiful. Never had any problems except for the one that got in my shed at my house. He made a big mess.

There’s a raptor (I think a goshawk) nest no more than 25 yards into the trees above my yard. I have very few critters around thanks to them.

Yes. Seen it happen. The g-forces involved are not that severe.

Lot of force coming down, and if you watch that Human fella on youtube he has some slow mo's of trunks hitting the ground, really is cool to watch, but they're never seems to be a lot of speed. Usually a chainsaw vibration gets them pretty excited so they'll usually leave that tree and we've watched quite a few jump from one to another. Years ago we cut a few trees down at the golf course near us, and apparently one of the squirrels knew what was going on just by us driving in. We watched him jump to the ground from what had to have been 30-35 feet, maybe more. He didn't hit the ground running, I think he tried but man did he bounce off the ground. We had to stop the truck we were laughing so hard.

Lot of force coming down, and if you watch that Human fella on youtube he has some slow mo's of trunks hitting the ground, really is cool to watch, but they're never seems to be a lot of speed. Usually a chainsaw vibration gets them pretty excited so they'll usually leave that tree and we've watched quite a few jump from one to another. Years ago we cut a few trees down at the golf course near us, and apparently one of the squirrels knew what was going on just by us driving in. We watched him jump to the ground from what had to have been 30-35 feet, maybe more. He didn't hit the ground running, I think he tried but man did he bounce off the ground. We had to stop the truck we were laughing so hard.
That’s funny!

I was cleaning out swallow houses one spring and had my aunts dog with me (border collie cross). I opened up one box and a huge wad of leaves with a flying squirrel inside fell right on the dogs head. She was a smart/quick little dog, I still don’t know how the squirrel got away lol.

Question for you guys who hand file. What cutter angle do you use for chains that will primarily cut softwood? I just touched these up and I think every one was at a different angle. It would be nice to have everything standardized.

View attachment 672120

MY filing guide settings are 35 across and 10 degrees up. I never change them for type of wood or type of chain. I cut mostly soft wood now but did over 100 cord or black locust severall years ago

Question for you guys who hand file. What cutter angle do you use for chains that will primarily cut softwood? I just touched these up and I think every one was at a different angle. It would be nice to have everything standardized.

View attachment 672120

The beauty of hand filing is it is so easy to make subtle adjustments for big results. Between 30 and 35 degrees will give great results. The profile on the leading edge is most important in my view. How hard you lift up to make the underside of the cutter sharp is also a key aspect. If the leading edge of the cutter is very sharp it will yield great chips or for more harder wood make the cutter a little more blunt will allow the chain to stay sharp longer especially in hard wood. For soft wood I make the cutters quite sharp and keep an eye on the angles to make sure they are consistent. Then you can go a little crazy on the rakers so you get a little extra bite. Thanks

That’s funny!

I was cleaning out swallow houses one spring and had my aunts dog with me (border collie cross). I opened up one box and a huge wad of leaves with a flying squirrel inside fell right on the dogs head. She was a smart/quick little dog, I still don’t know how the squirrel got away lol.

Might just have to start up a squirrel story thread! I've got a few, and I'm not particularly fond of having one crawl around on me, it's fun though, watching them thump their tails in disgust.

Might just have to start up a squirrel story thread! I've got a few, and I'm not particularly fond of having one crawl around on me, it's fun though, watching them thump their tails in disgust.
Up here the only grey squirrels live in town. However living near the end of a county road, we occasionally get live trapped animals dumped nearby. One winter a pair of grey squirrels showed up and they were very fun to watch at the feeder but they eventually got super aggressive towards birds and red squirrels and had to go. I also had a beautiful red fox hanging out that I normally fed fish remnants and he was the benefactor of the squirrels demise.

The beauty of hand filing is it is so easy to make subtle adjustments for big results. Between 30 and 35 degrees will give great results. The profile on the leading edge is most important in my view. How hard you lift up to make the underside of the cutter sharp is also a key aspect. If the leading edge of the cutter is very sharp it will yield great chips or for more harder wood make the cutter a little more blunt will allow the chain to stay sharp longer especially in hard wood. For soft wood I make the cutters quite sharp and keep an eye on the angles to make sure they are consistent. Then you can go a little crazy on the rakers so you get a little extra bite. Thanks
I make plenty of subtle adjustments when I’m filing, only problem is they are unintended LOL.

Gotta love those finds, just not as much fun as cutting it yourself but the wood is a bonus.

I get the majority of my wood this way.....cut. All I do is split with the maul then I resell. Turned out to be .12 of a cord as per an online calculator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Back