Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people consider Red Squirrels as pests, they are not protected in NY, and can be destructive. They are far more aggressive than Grey Squirrels, and generally keep them away (even though they are smaller). Red Squirrels are also not common in this part of the State (more common upstate).

However, a family took up residence near my house about two years ago, and I have left them be. They periodically chatter at me, and I chatter back at them. They have not done any damage to my house (although they made a hole in the shed next door), but they are wonderful at helping clean up the Black Walnuts, and we get tons of them! Damn things are like big marbles in the driveway in the fall. Red Squirrels are kinda like Superman Chipmunks!

Many people consider Red Squirrels as pests, they are not protected in NY, and can be destructive. They are far more aggressive than Grey Squirrels, and generally keep them away (even though they are smaller). Red Squirrels are also not common in this part of the State (more common upstate).

However, a family took up residence near my house about two years ago, and I have left them be. They periodically chatter at me, and I chatter back at them. They have not done any damage to my house (although they made a hole in the shed next door), but they are wonderful at helping clean up the Black Walnuts, and we get tons of them! Damn things are like big marbles in the driveway in the fall. Red Squirrels are kinda like Superman Chipmunks!

I hate them dammed red squirrels. We moved into the log home we bought in January. The previous owner had let them get out of hand. I shot 16 or so from the front door.

Be careful with the walnuts. They do clean them up, but the hulls from those nuts are used to make ink. Some red squirrels stuffed the attic of a single car garage on our property with them. I didn't realize they were even in there until I started getting a sticky greasy black tar dripping down onto my tools. :(

First pic is what the tree company left on the front lawn. I hand picked the pieces I wanted from the pile.

Ah, I see. cough *wood snob* cough.

I've been busy this weekend. Scrounging, of sorts. We have quite a few silver wattles on parts of our property. They're a hardwood and they do burn but very ashy which is my pet hate when it comes to firewood. Great kindling though from the dried out twigs. I use the wood in the firepit. I've been starting to clear some of them, channelling @dancan dropping 10cm stalks. We also have some pittosporums on the block. My reference book tells me that they have a dry density of 850kg/m which is a little better than most of the local eucalypts. There are a few that have become very overgrown and I hacked them back this weekend. Mostly, they are brush with the biggest of the stems being 5 inches. All the same, I have kept the stems and will test them out as firewood next year. Pics tomorrow.

I've been busy this weekend. Scrounging, of sorts. We have quite a few silver wattles on parts of our property. They're a hardwood and they do burn but very ashy which is my pet hate when it comes to firewood. Great kindling though from the dried out twigs. I use the wood in the firepit. I've been starting to clear some of them, channelling @dancan dropping 10cm stalks. We also have some pittosporums on the block. My reference book tells me that they have a dry density of 850kg/m which is a little better than most of the local eucalypts. There are a few that have become very overgrown and I hacked them back this weekend. Mostly, they are brush with the biggest of the stems being 5 inches. All the same, I have kept the stems and will test them out as firewood next year. Pics tomorrow.
it's a Pennsylvania thing Cowboy.:surprised3: it's something we learn in school at an early age. "repeat after me" oak,hickory,locust .......... :laugh:

A word of warning Cowboy, Pittospurum is an absolute shocker for ash, at least the ones I’ve burnt were.

I don't descriminate. Free wood is free wood. Most in my area burn for leisure and not heating purposes. On Halloween, you'll see dozens of firepits in the front yards with chairs around as homeowners hand out candy, drink adult beverages, and burn wood. Easy money for me......

Same here. I go high unless its on ground they'll never be running ground-engaging implements over anyway, in which case I might go very low so they don't even feel a thing when they roll over it. They decide before I cut anything or my default setting is high until told otherwise.

I don't ever scrounge for firewood, but sometimes I cut it down for ground clearing. Unless requested otherwise, I always leave about 5' stumps, so the excavator or bulldozer has something to grab.

It's a lot easier to come back and cut it lower than it is to return & make it taller.

Steak on the fire beats fish hands down every day.
I'm with you most of the time, but if you ever get fresh Mako Shark steaks, they are something else. They take no back seat to beef. Mako, Yellowfin, and Wahoo on the grill 3-4 hours after caught, heaven.

Latest posts

Back