Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deer are simple. They want food, a good bed, and some loving in the fall.
Simple like a woman LOL. When you think you have them figured out they throw something else at you.

I had the deer more or less figured out up by my cabin before the wolves cleaned them out. Then my now neighbor started camping near one of my deer stands and coupled with a new beaver flowage it changed everything. They are back to their old routes again but there are so few of them that it still makes things tough.

I have shot one buck in the last 4 seasons. Last year I saw one buck in 10 days of hunting and he was running at high speed after I busted him out of his bed on a 20 degree day with 30 MPH winds. I kept seeing does with fawns so I though eventually a buck would come around but one never did. That is why I am moving operations south to where there are more deer this year.
If you can keep the does around you should have a buck in the area.

Simple like a woman LOL. When you think you have them figured out they throw something else at you.

I had the deer more or less figured out up by my cabin before the wolves cleaned them out. Then my now neighbor started camping near one of my deer stands and coupled with a new beaver flowage it changed everything. They are back to their old routes again but there are so few of them that it still makes things tough.

They are ever changing for sure. But the approach is a simple one. However that does require a population :) I've seen more big deer from 11 am to 2pm. Much of that is camera work and scouting. When your limited on your hunting time you find when they will be in an area where you can get a crack. The last 5 years my hunting has slowed down considerably so I spend more time scouting and less time sitting. Google earth is a phenomenal tool and you can see allot of stuff you had to walk on foot before.

STIHL Presets

(sorry to interrupt hunting stuff with chainsaw stuff)

Recently had to buy one preset (.325) to resize a STIHL chain for a friend. $1.50. Seemed like a lot, but . . . A week or so later I got a batch of similar loops to spin down from 81 to 74 drive links. Same STIHL dealer.

I asked about buying in quantity (used to sell in bags of 10, as I recalled). $3.99 for a bag 8 presets and 8 ties straps. Not a lot of complicated math, but neither of us was sure if it was a pricing mistake from the distributor, or just an unreasonably good deal for a STIHL product. Just to be sure, I ordered several bags.

BTW: MS 250 with 18" bar is also on sale for $299.95 till the end of October.

(Back to Bambi)

Philbert

The best buck hunting I have is when I have the area alpha doe hanging around. If you can keep the queen around bingo!
Only a couple times have I hit the rut dead on. When you have a doe with multiple bucks chasing. Crashing and grunting then all three of them run right by you.

Trouble at home is there acres and acres of alpha fields, interspersed with acres and acres of still standing corn right now. so every time a field gets cut patterns change. There was something out back this morning at 0400dark- pups gave what ever was there a good tongue lashing was to the south side. didn't go past the cams. 2 acres of alpha out back, 16 or so acres to my north of corn half knocked down by storms. Some corn at the end of my alpha field then the creek. They like using the creek area for passage lots of cover. creek runs north south, more corn on the flip side of the creek, south side corn field was cut about 2 weeks ago. 200+yards to creek from my deck, 175 yards of that is mine. slightly down hill , other side of creek goes up hill not sure of the elevation change but about 75 ft minimum rise in 150 yards. I can cover 75 yards width wise at 175 yards nothing behind safe shot unless I hear a combine or so running then I have go look first can't see past the creek in the spotting scope, toothick tangle wise, leaves are down for the most part. 60x spotting scope- can see a 30 cal hole at 200 yds with it. Residuals left from years of competitive shooting.

Being in agreement it’s @James Miller, this is generally the safest thread to ask advice. No, I’m not a snowflake, just don’t like idiots. I have a pair of Stihl chaps, can’t stand how the section below the knees always turns exposing the calf. Anybody wear full wrap lower chaps that they would recommend? As of now I’m looking at Echo and Labonville. Any suggestions? And yes, I do own 2 Stihl products, the chaps and a peavey, I like the peavey.

I really like my labonville wrap chaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my labonville wrap chaps.
Labonville has received very good reviews here on AS. And I like their construction. But they just did not fit me for some reason!

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/labonville-wrap-chaps-mod.312320/

I also had to stitch the leg straps on my Husqvarna wrap chaps to keep my calves covered:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husky-wrap-chaps-mod.126733/

There are some zipper chaps, but I have not tried them.

Some things you just have to try on.

Philbert

Labonville has received very good reviews here on AS. And I like their construction. But they just did not fit me for some reason!

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/labonville-wrap-chaps-mod.312320/

I also had to stitch the leg straps on my Husqvarna wrap chaps to keep my calves covered:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husky-wrap-chaps-mod.126733/

There are some zipper chaps, but I have not tried them.

Some things you just have to try on.

Philbert

I read your thread. I guess I’m just lucky that my labonville chaps fit me without modification the way yours fit after your modifications.

Might be due to a personal size difference. I’m 6’1” 240 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have shot one buck in the last 4 seasons. Last year I saw one buck in 10 days of hunting and he was running at high speed after I busted him out of his bed on a 20 degree day with 30 MPH winds. I kept seeing does with fawns so I though eventually a buck would come around but one never did. That is why I am moving operations south to where there are more deer this year.
I just looked up the regs for deer in my zone of MD, for farmersteve, one buck each for Bow, Muzzle Loader, and Firearm. One buck has to have at least 1 spike 3 inches long, the other has to have at least 3 points on one side. Doesn't matter what order you take them. You can buy an extra buck tag, but you have to take two Doe before you can use it. Doe season with Bow has a 15 deer limit, Muzzle Loader has 10, and firearm has 10. I didn't look at the other zones or Sika and Fallow.

I can't believe I actually scrounged two trees in less than a week. This is a big Oak that was splitting. The home owners are friends. I gave them a price of $1600 to take it down and haul every thing away, back in the spring. I told them before I started it to call the power company, the split part was right over their home service. The same day they called the power company came out, and the next morning there was an Asplundh bucket truck in the front yard. They took the tree down and ground up all the brush for free. I told Al I'd get the log cleaned up for him as soon as the lawns slowed down. Yesterday his son in law and I bucked the log up, 39" at the stump, noodled what we couldn't lift or roll, and took one heavy load home. I left the MS290 with Brian when I left with the trailer. That evening he stopped by and dropped my saw off, and handed me a check, said it was from Al. I glanced at it and it looked like it was for $100. I was going to ask him for $50 for gas when I finished up Wednesday. Last night my wife said the credit card bill for my truck came and did I have any extra cash to put toward it. I said sure, get that check from Al, out of my wallet, and deposit it. She stuck her head in the shower and said, "you do realize Al gave you $1000". In good faith, I can't keep that check. I only have 2 1/2 hours in, with maybe 3-4 hours more, including chatting with Al and Jan. If he insists on me keeping it, I'll mow his lawn for him next year. Right now he has a stiff mowing and the guy only mows every 2-3 weeks. Yard looks like rotten hay. He's next door to my MIL, with no fences in the way. I can just keep going when I mow her lawn. I mowed it a couple times when the stiff let it go too far, and it only took about 30 minutes. Anyway here's the log.
QCgiOdh.jpg

Started the day by gluing down a cylinder I ported on a Asian 440 BB. Thought I would get it running today, but then the phone rang.

One of my Landscaper friends calls me and asks if I can come over with a big saw. Says he has to take down the large Tulip and none of his saws are big enough. I tell him no problem, soft Tulip should be easy. But just to be on the safe side, I threw 2 660s w 36" bars and 2 Hybrids with 28" bars in the trailer. Good thing I did!!! The large Tulip turned out to be a large Smooth Bark Hickory that had twisted about 30' up and looked like an inverted V.

There was so much tension within that wood that your bar would get locked in place even when stuff was completely off the ground and looked to be tension free. Had to cut bars out with other saws about 4 times. By the time 4:00 rolled around (I got there before 1:00) I was down to one good running hybrid. The other saws, chains dulled, or jumped, etc.

The first thing I did was cut the top end of the V so it was hanging off the ground. Then figured I would take another round off of it to lighten it up some more. My 36" bar got locked solid in place, had to cut and chisel it out! I will be honest, I never saw a pinch coming from trying to cut a round that is not making any ground contact! And it was a solid pinch, worst one of the day!

My 660s and Hybrids all ripped through that Hickory pretty fast, but Hickory is tough stuff and with all the pinches, chains dulled and stretched really fast (and I run Stihl chain).

So I ended up going home with one dump truck load, and one trailer load of Hickory! Numerous other loads went elsewhere. Sorry, no pics, the 4 man crew cleaned it up about as fast as I could cut it, plus they helped me roll logs and unstick the bar. In addition I did not have any time, was just trying to finish things up!

Back