Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks beautiful up there Dan.
After the video it should have said "no spruce were harmed in the making of this video" lol.
That's a very nice 44cc creamsicle :sweet:. Looks like it's a bone stock arctic version, makes cutting in the winter like :havingarest:.

I find that the wh or arctic the best from 45 down to about 27 , at those temps and dampness or wet will suck the heat right out of my hands even at around that 27ish mark because the snow will stick and melt on your gloves or mitts .
After the 25 mark the snow gets lighter and fluffy so it doesn't stick and melt as much .
The coldest I've ever been was when I was clearing a houselot a few years ago one October , it was around 40* and overcast with a little drizzle , it took me about 3 hours to get warmed up after I got home , I'd rather be cutting on a sunny 20* day in a long sleeved shirt than 40* and wet .

I find that the wh or arctic the best from 45 down to about 27 , at those temps and dampness or wet will suck the heat right out of my hands even at around that 27ish mark because the snow will stick and melt on your gloves or mitts .
After the 25 mark the snow gets lighter and fluffy so it doesn't stick and melt as much .
The coldest I've ever been was when I was clearing a houselot a few years ago one October , it was around 40* and overcast with a little drizzle , it took me about 3 hours to get warmed up after I got home , I'd rather be cutting on a sunny 20* day in a long sleeved shirt than 40* and wet .
Most hypothermia cases occur at above freezing temps.

I think it was a big Hickory I was milling for my BIL. It was so loaded with tension that the far side was curling Up, and the near side was pinching Down. I had to tap wedges in just so the chain could cut. Every piece warped and twisted. Wound up cutting it up for firewood. That was a Shagbark.

Started the day by gluing down a cylinder I ported on a Asian 440 BB. Thought I would get it running today, but then the phone rang.

One of my Landscaper friends calls me and asks if I can come over with a big saw. Says he has to take down the large Tulip and none of his saws are big enough. I tell him no problem, soft Tulip should be easy. But just to be on the safe side, I threw 2 660s w 36" bars and 2 Hybrids with 28" bars in the trailer. Good thing I did!!! The large Tulip turned out to be a large Smooth Bark Hickory that had twisted about 30' up and looked like an inverted V.

There was so much tension within that wood that your bar would get locked in place even when stuff was completely off the ground and looked to be tension free. Had to cut bars out with other saws about 4 times. By the time 4:00 rolled around (I got there before 1:00) I was down to one good running hybrid. The other saws, chains dulled, or jumped, etc.

The first thing I did was cut the top end of the V so it was hanging off the ground. Then figured I would take another round off of it to lighten it up some more. My 36" bar got locked solid in place, had to cut and chisel it out! I will be honest, I never saw a pinch coming from trying to cut a round that is not making any ground contact! And it was a solid pinch, worst one of the day!

My 660s and Hybrids all ripped through that Hickory pretty fast, but Hickory is tough stuff and with all the pinches, chains dulled and stretched really fast (and I run Stihl chain).

So I ended up going home with one dump truck load, and one trailer load of Hickory! Numerous other loads went elsewhere. Sorry, no pics, the 4 man crew cleaned it up about as fast as I could cut it, plus they helped me roll logs and unstick the bar. In addition I did not have any time, was just trying to finish things up!
MORE HICKORY!!! You guys suck, 99% of The hickory around here doesn’t get cut. I have 8 at edge of the yard, 15”-20”, can’t bring myself to cut them, saving them for when SHTF.

I think it was a big Hickory I was milling for my BIL. It was so loaded with tension that the far side was curling Up, and the near side was pinching Down. I had to tap wedges in just so the chain could cut. Every piece warped and twisted. Wound up cutting it up for firewood. That was a Shagbark.

My bar was only an inch down, so I could not even insert a wedge. Just made cuts next to it and hammered and chiseled em out, no other choice! But the B+C still cut well after we got it out!

Honda G200 on the splitter lost spark the other day between loads. Took the recoil off was full of grass n stuff. Cleaned that out still no spark.

Finally got back to it today. Pulled the flywheel off looked like a food processor full of salad fixings. Got all cleaned out and filed the points a bit. Tightened the gap to about .012 put the flywheel on pulled it over fired right up. Pulled it down put the cover back over the points reassembled. Back in business. Split a wheel barrow of cherry just before dark.

Wish I had took a photo of how bad that mess was. Was beginning to think the old honda was crapping out. I shoulda known better. Its a Honda.

This might make a few here just a little jealous, but my friend just bagged this one today. 45 points.
44731952_969516809916645_8882748608789610496_n.jpg

You are missing the point completely. You can't count the points, these may be very mature bucks that I can't take because they stay in thick cover (mature bucks do that) and won't hold still enough for a point count.

Back to saws and wood!

Meat has nothing to do with point counts, must be an American thingy.

I had one one time, I figured it would be great for cutting in the shoulder season when it was wet out as gloves can be a pain. Usually when it's colder I just wear gloves.
That kind of weather doesn't make you a sick kind of cold, it was that way here last week :baba:. The best way to get warmed up after that is a nice toasty :blob2::cheers:.
Funny you say it that way, I always tell folks that id rather have it 25 and snowing than 35 and raining, the only people who get it are those who have worked outside :yes:.
Most hypothermia cases occur at above freezing temps.
Makes sense especially if it's wet as the water will transfer more BTU's, just like we were talking about last week in regards to getting heat moved around the home. Damp cold is bone chilling :cold:.

Honda G200 on the splitter lost spark the other day between loads. Took the recoil off was full of grass n stuff. Cleaned that out still no spark.

Finally got back to it today. Pulled the flywheel off looked like a food processor full of salad fixings. Got all cleaned out and filed the points a bit. Tightened the gap to about .012 put the flywheel on pulled it over fired right up. Pulled it down put the cover back over the points reassembled. Back in business. Split a wheel barrow of cherry just before dark.

Wish I had took a photo of how bad that mess was. Was beginning to think the old honda was crapping out. I shoulda known better. Its a Honda.
How the heck did all that crap get in there o_O.
Yes, you should have known better :happy:.

Mice that weren't nice!
What we use around here, especially when those little fur balls are looking for a winter home, is peppermint oil. Mice, chipmunks and any rodent hates peppermint. Put some on cotton balls a toss in sheds, campers, boats, etc. Has to be oil, not extract, extract evaporates. 2 plus sides, nothing toxic for kids and pets and everything smells great. Come spring we find no nests or droppings.

What we use around here, especially when those little fur balls are looking for a winter home, is peppermint oil. Mice, chipmunks and any rodent hates peppermint. Put some on cotton balls a toss in sheds, campers, boats, etc. Has to be oil, not extract, extract evaporates. 2 plus sides, nothing toxic for kids and pets and everything smells great. Come spring we find no nests or droppings.
That's what I put on the ballistic tips, stuff works excellent :laughing:.
The reality is we do use a lot of herbs, oils here, it's amazing how well some of it works. The bummer is most of the stuff that works real well I can't stand, echinacea :eek:.

MORE HICKORY!!! You guys suck, 99% of The hickory around here doesn’t get cut. I have 8 at edge of the yard, 15”-20”, can’t bring myself to cut them, saving them for when SHTF.
If there SHTF wood I'd cut them now so there well seasoned. Running a saw in that situation is gona attract attention you dont want.

Back