Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing that you mean muffler to muffler facing opposite directions, when you say siamese. That was my thought process as well. Seems like it will maximize the space in the box, just like you're doing Mike. I'll have to fool around with it and see what works best

I feel like I scored today. A while back my daughter asked if I could get 2 cord of wood for one of her friends. I told her to have him call me. There was no call for a few weeks, so I brought most of my remaining wood to my daughter. Well, then the guy calls me and wants the two cords. I've given him some wood (enough for now), but was running out of sources close by.

I live in a thickly settled area. Almost every 1/3 acre lot has a house on it, with few exceptions (mostly non buildable for one reason or another). There is one undeveloped wooded lot that is about 2 blocks away, I walk the dogs past it all the time. It has several Ash leaners that are not on the ground. Well, today I saw the owner and asked if he minded if I take them for firewood, and he told me I could take whatever I want out of there! Wood shortage problem solved! I'll likely start on it next week after MZ season is over (runs through Tue).

It is nice to have good neighbors!

See that kind of post all the time...those and the "free tree for cutting", which is 300 feet tall, 6 feet in diameter, and two feet from eight houses...

lmao. I can understand people trying to recoup the cost to have the tree cut down and/or making a little cash but jeez, these people think firewood is a hot commodity. All you need is a chainsaw, van, and be in decent health to find free wood. Never noticed these crazy jokers as a oil burner.

If UR not pulling a trailer, just put one on those baskets on the back hitch. Worked great for me.

For transporting saws with the car, I bought a large Husky tool box at HD that will fit saws w/24" bars. I Siamese the saws (w/chain covers) and put 4 of them in the bottom of it, then foam cushions and other stuff on top (or in the holes). Had to widen the cargo basket, so I cut the rails and inserted steel rods and drilled holes in inserted pins. Works great, and the box is waterproof.[/QUOTE

Excellent idea, Mike.

I suppose I could always transport with the bars off and attach bars and chains in the woods to save the integrity of the box. Only take a couple minutes to put the bar and chain on.

Next door neighbor's. Both 24" bars. He cuts wood for a living and the woods roads he drives are pretty hard on chainsaws, if left in the back of a truck.

That's close to what Mike does, except he slips the saws bars inside the other saws wrap handle, locks them together. Uncle Mike, you talkin about Ryan? Those boys got it easy, they have you. I appreciate you helping with my wood, but your Son inlaw is spoiled with wood. Cut split and stacked........man did he pick the right girl to marry.

I figured, his pops has a homebuilt hydro splitter. I dunno I made it up and down the cabin trail once in feburary with the explorer, put snow chains on the front tires so I could steer. I think with the right tires we could make it, or bring a snowmobile.......

I suppose I could always transport with the bars off and attach bars and chains in the woods to save the integrity of the box. Only take a couple minutes to put the bar and chain on.

Or just mount them left and right and laying sideways on the handlebars sticking out the front, so you can just mini harvester slash your way through the woods....

...unfortunately, that is something stoopid I would try...hmmm

UncleMike, ryan is a nice guy, bit I think he is a little soft. Used to have a good lookin girl but lost her, then started dating that other girl that treated him like her lil b1tch. Nice guy but he's gotta grow some nuts. He has a decent job so don't be afraid to charge him for your time and services

Or just mount them left and right and laying sideways on the handlebars sticking out the front, so you can just mini harvester slash your way through the woods....

I have to say.....that idea ROCKS!! I might need a helper, though. Let me know when you'll be in town. We might even make the local news. :ices_rofl:

I have to say.....that idea ROCKS!! I might need a helper, though. Let me know when you'll be in town. We might even make the local news. :ices_rofl:

Fun to try once...good thing they have speech to text apps now, hard to type or swype with all your limbs and torso in a cast....

You could make one, sell it on ebay as a zombie apocalypse fighter ATV, then video that sucker..err.. "lucky winning bidder" using it.....heh heh heh

I can see the news report now.....[Newscaster] - Two idiots were sent to the emergency room tonight in a bizarre 4-wheeler accident involving chain saws mounted to the handle bars to speed up the harvesting of fire wood. The driver was quoted as saying "Hold my beer and watch this s###", before the accident occurred. It's unknown whether either of them "should" survive.

:numberone:

Latest posts

Back