Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah.....I'M OFF TOMORROW!!!!!! GOING TO RUN THE CHAINSAW TOMORROW!!!! Hide your kids, hide your wife, Makita 6421 will be fueled tonight!

Sorry, just a little excited. I've already gone through a gallon of fuel mix tuning the carb. I can only imagine the amount of fuel I'll burn through actually cutting logs.

Oh yeah.....I'M OFF TOMORROW!!!!!! GOING TO RUN THE CHAINSAW TOMORROW!!!! Hide your kids, hide your wife, Makita 6421 will be fueled tonight!

Sorry, just a little excited. I've already gone through a gallon of fuel mix tuning the carb. I can only imagine the amount of fuel I'll burn through actually cutting logs.

What have we done? Created a monster, with a chainsaw?
OK, have a blast. Keep that chain sharp and take a break often. When you get tired, you get sloppy.
Work safe.

What have we done? Created a monster, with a chainsaw?
OK, have a blast. Keep that chain sharp and take a break often. When you get tired, you get sloppy.
Work safe.

lol, yep. Scrounging tomorrow then bucking up the poplar and oak logs on Saturday at the in-laws. I worked the Fiskars yesterday for about 3-4 hours. All I need is more fuel and somewhere to buy Stihl HP Ultra or whatever it's called mix. Can't find that stuff anywhere. May need a new chain soon too. Oh yeah, also need a raker gauge.

I'll alternate with the chainsaw and the log splitter, that should keep me fresh. Then smack the Fiskars right before lunch to work up an appetite.

I feel like I scored today. A while back my daughter asked if I could get 2 cord of wood for one of her friends. I told her to have him call me. There was no call for a few weeks, so I brought most of my remaining wood to my daughter. Well, then the guy calls me and wants the two cords. I've given him some wood (enough for now), but was running out of sources close by.

I live in a thickly settled area. Almost every 1/3 acre lot has a house on it, with few exceptions (mostly non buildable for one reason or another). There is one undeveloped wooded lot that is about 2 blocks away, I walk the dogs past it all the time. It has several Ash leaners that are not on the ground. Well, today I saw the owner and asked if he minded if I take them for firewood, and he told me I could take whatever I want out of there! Wood shortage problem solved! I'll likely start on it next week after MZ season is over (runs through Tue).

It is nice to have good neighbors!

Mike, that is a real good score locating that source a couple blocks away. Especially in your neck of the woods, because well................. you really aren't in the woods. :) I'm lucky that I pretty much live in the forest, and I don't take it for granted.

Funny, but yesterday as I was driving around I was noticing just how much storm damage wood is still laying all over town waiting for some one to clean it up and put it to use. Leaners, hangers, stuff on the ground. Enough to heat the entire town for a couple 3 years if it was harvested. As you know, this is a heavily wooded area and it's just everywhere. We had Irene, then Sandy, and a couple of seriously nasty thunderstorms. People who think like we do have been cutting this stuff for the last couple years, and plenty of it is being turned into firewood. Some guys figure they have a few years worth of wood from those storms. But sadly, an awful lot of it is just going to rot where it is.

Latest posts

Back