Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Depending where you live, and the population density, I've read that there can be quite a few restrictions. One being that chimney height needs to be ten feet or so higher than highest roof top of your neighbors within X number feet to the burner. I'm basically in the middle of nowhere. Looking straight out the back of that picture, there's nothing but woods and fields for a few miles. I have another neighbor to the right, but he probably 200 yards that direction.

Yes. Depending where you live, and the population density, I've read that there can be quite a few restrictions. One being that chimney height needs to be ten feet or so higher than highest roof top of your neighbors within X number feet to the burner. I'm basically in the middle of nowhere. Looking straight out the back of that picture, there's nothing but woods and fields for a few miles. I have another neighbor to the right, but he probably 200 yards that direction.

Umm, guess that's a No Go with me then lol. There's Victorian style homes near me. That means really high roof tops. Ten feet higher may mean a freaking 30 foot chimney. That would look ridiculous on a OWB that stands 6-7' tall. Not to mention the stability of said chimney in high winds. Look out, stainless steel spear coming through.

I don't know that ten feet is an actual required number, or if your stack just needs to be higher than the roof. That was just a swag number. You'd have to check with your local community folks to find out real numbers.

I scrounge every day all day. I cover a 100 mile x 40 mile area locating fiber optics.

Are you the guy that lucked out on whole logs from a golf course? Paid someone a few bucks to load the logs onto your trailer? I can't remember who it was.

Nope.....they bring them to the parking lot. Waiting on ground to freeze so they can go back out and get more off the course. I'm not him, but am working on it.....lol

I know our county offers limited firewood permits. For something like 25 bucks you get to cut up to 4 cords per year.

It's interesting that good wood like maple and birch have no value to the loggers as they only want aspen and pine.
I don't think its the species of tree as much as health and/or location. A lot of the trees the FS marked were either going to be a problem (fall across road), were in stages of dying, or were never going to amount to timber. The birch were growing into the road, the maple were essentially big suckers from a previous cutting, and the Sassafras was dying...they don't mark timber trees, but those they do mark are good firewood trees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Latest scrounge with the kids: birch and oak
783ecfe1c2db0b78800bd6e76cf44ed3.jpg

In the evening using some of last years beech
da5def6dfabf2f3bb009fd8374bc9faa.jpg

and waiting for a french speciality to finish in the oven: la tartiflette!!
7e88a43155ce5c90b7d63a4f42d84efb.jpg

Seasons greetings from this side of the pond:)

Johan

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

I don't think its the species of tree as much as health and/or location. A lot of the trees the FS marked were either going to be a problem (fall across road), were in stages of dying, or were never going to amount to timber. The birch were growing into the road, the maple were essentially big suckers from a previous cutting, and the Sassafras was dying...they don't mark timber trees, but those they do mark are good firewood trees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk
I think we are talking about different permits. Ours are just general permits. No marked trees.

Put my saws and ATV to some good use today. Was going to use a wheelbarrow, then I figured I could just put the basket on the back of the ATV instead (no room for a trailer). Got the job done! It is a combo of Ash & Elm, now I just need to split it and deliver it. I also took a pic of that big Elm branch that drooped down hard yesterday (pic #2), it is all cut up now.

U asked for pics?

Attachments

• 2014-12-19 001.jpg
    2014-12-19 001.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 2014-12-19 002.jpg
    2014-12-19 002.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 2014-12-19 005.jpg
    2014-12-19 005.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 74
  • 2014-12-19 006.jpg
    2014-12-19 006.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 2014-12-19 007.jpg
    2014-12-19 007.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 2014-12-19 009.jpg
    2014-12-19 009.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 61
Put my saws and ATV to some good use today. Was going to use a wheelbarrow, then I figured I could just put the basket on the back of the ATV instead (no room for a trailer). Got the job done! It is a combo of Ash & Elm, now I just need to split it and deliver it. I also took a pic of that big Elm branch that drooped down hard yesterday (pic #2), it is all cut up now.

U asked for pics?
Good looking wood!

Back