Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ambull, do you have any military bases near you? We have one close by and I was talking to a guy who cuts wood on the base. It cost him a fee of about $50 for one months cutting and hauling. This base has a lot of woods.
Yeah I do. I have several nearby. I'll check with them. Thanks

Sure would have helped a little, along with the bigger wedges and better cuts, to have used one of my bigger saws. Was using the 371 with a 24, should have grabbed one of the 80s or the 394, wouldn't have had to cut from both sides then. Might have helped, not sure though. Am sure the tractor would have worked better...

Was thinking about this stuff, despite necessity, for a lot of us this is sport,and that's how it goes, skiing, dirtbike riding, superbike nutso highway cruising, scuba diving, etc. Sports all got risks. Hard physical employment has risks, too, everything I have ever done. Heck, I am bout..still 1/3rd gimped up from a work accident 20 years ago.

There's a lot of blowdowns in my woods that are barber chaired about 10-20 feet up that I will not touch.

And they are Sugar maples. I have studied and studied them during dog walks. I am not comfortable with them and just not worth it. They can bio down. The way she goes.

I read the tension on a blowdown wrong this past winter and the 394 saved me from getting a set of Hollywoods.

When I made the cut, the 6" branch wanted my face. I threw the saw up and it took the impact.

Good learning experience.

And I do understand about having a wilder yout and how it impacts your body later on.

Yellowjacket.png

Is the come-along for falling, or to pull down hung up trees? (serious question - I realize in these forums how things could be taken sarcastically!).

Philbert

You can use them for both, quite handy. Also po mans real slow winch to pull logs up and out where they are medium inaccessible.

Although those pullers are even slicker. I don't have one yet.

You can use them for both, quite handy. Also po mans real slow winch to pull logs up and out where they are medium inaccessible.

Although those pullers are even slicker. I don't have one yet.

Now that is awesome! I need that, more than I need another saw.

I use my Maasdam for both. My brother, who though I was foolish to buy it at first, later bought one for himself and another for his son (MechanicMatt). They may be a little slow, but U can choke up the rope real fast, and U can use them about anywhere. It pulled both leaners down for me yesterday, and I was doing it alone. On larger trees (leaners) it has helped to have someone near the base of the tree with a crow bar to coax it along. Sometimes, the tree wants to dig in.

Sometimes I'll just move the rope from the bottom to higher up and just pull the thing over. It can work a lot of ways, but it is a useful tool to have.

Those come-alongs are the best at helping guide a tree in the right direction! But I did drop one big ash this fall in the opposite direction of its lean, for that a bigger rope me in the gaffs and my buddies 3/4 ton chevy plus a good running husky did it in. I've been playing around with my hinges after watching my uncle and was VERY happy with how this tree fell.

AND (of course) one of these:

Philbert

That there's just plain cheatin! HAHAHAHA! Every boy needs one!

If they had a snowplow or blower attachment, they'd sell a lot more of them I bet. Plus, heck, a rototiller for gardening, plow, disc, etc.

Just that stand alone rear log lift/transported dealie is cool, I could see something like that for a tractor. Not a full arch, just something cheap for the other end of the log, the three point could lift the front.

I blame it on me, wasn't that windy. Just bad planning. I did live, and certainly learned. Now I have done this before, always worked, just this time..it didn't, just not enough beef behind those swings and could have used much bigger wedges, or stacked them, or something, and need to do more research on proper felling cuts for that sort of fell... but...a little rope action and the tractor would have been better all around.
I might not be telling you anything you don't already know but too much wedging (primarily on smaller diameter trees or ones with little holding wood) could put enough tension on the hinge wood to break the fibers. Sounds like this was a monster so might not be applicable. Deep face cut is helpful on heavy leaners but sometimes they just go where they want to with out any help from a rope or equipment. Be careful out there.

Earlier this week I decided to be like Cantoo , while at the shop I tripped backing up , I landed on my arse but when it was all over I took a shot in the back on the ribs and a kidney when I landed on my tire changer , not my first rodeo on both counts lol
This morning things were feeling pretty good so I loaded the van and off I went :)

IMG_20141220_104336.jpg

U-Build kit .

IMG_20141220_111222.jpg

All together and ready to roll .

IMG_20141220_120545.jpg

IMG_20141220_132203.jpg

IMG_20141220_132810.jpg

IMG_20141220_133633.jpg
IMG_20141220_133650.jpg

I had enough , hurts when I cough , bend down , start the saw , take a deep breath and get off the tractor so I called it quits :(
Trailer and tractor are parked , got a few from the script for the ankle and a beer into me just waiting for a bit of relief to kick in LOL
We'll see how I feel tomorrow , may go buck up that load and drag it home , just not today ;)

Back