Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was rough on it all last year, then built a bigger trailer. I have it over at my bil's house. He uses it a lot to move his splits up to his house. Yeah bushings, and yeah it was a flexable piece of trash before welding everything solid. I spent twenty bills at a yardsale so I wasn't too upset with it.

That's what I've been waitin' to see! Looks real good in the woods,Dan.View attachment 388335

IMG_20141220_132810.jpg
Clint ,I was happy that it worked lol
Sure speeds up scrounging when you're fax from the area that you're parked .

I load them by hand , I just pull out the upright posts off the side I'm working and chuck the small ones on , I'll lift one end of the bigger ones on the cross piece a then lift the other end but 1o" are getting close to the limit depending on the species and water content .
I will be fabbing up a lift with a hand winch for it soon .

I needed a larger trailer than the two wheel cart I had been using with the ATV.
I saw some trailers in the NT catalog. I liked the poly tub, two wheel 1 k or the 1.5 k four wheel walking beam.
I opted for the four wheel model, I bet I loaded much more then the 1500 lb rating, But even overloaded, it just floats over the ground, wet , mud, or dry. If I can get the ATV through, the trailer will follow.
Only prob is the trailer is wider than the ATV, had it stuck between couple trees. Chainsaw, don't leave home without it.
If you try to climb an obstruction to high for the wheel to climb over, the axel may flip and now you have no ground clearance on that side. A real AwwChit situation to say the least.
I still can't back up the blasted trailer. Even using Zogger's advice, no steering wheel on the ATV.
Still better than a hand truck or wheelbarow, let the machine do the work.

I'm likely doing more work than the wood is worth, but it keeps me out of trouble and in shape, and hopefully some of my stuff will be useful in the future.

Modified the hitch on my ATV (drilled a hole) so that I could attach my lawn tractor cart to the ATV. (I'd seen someone else was using one). It hauls more wood than the basket on the back, and I can still steer! It is also thin enough to go anywhere the ATV goes, the basket was hitting a few trees (it is wider than the ATV). Had to reinforce the little cart, but it has wide tires so it does not sink in, but U have to go easy, no suspension!

I then cut a circular path around the wood lot so that I don't have to back up. I then hauled all the Ash I cut up yesterday, and found another leaner that was solid today. (Well, most of it was solid, so the 362 got a little workout). Still had to carry the cut pieces across a stream to put them in the ATV trailer, but hey, it keeps me in shape. I just can't resist scrounging some good Ash! Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• 2014-12-21 001.jpg
    2014-12-21 001.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 51
  • 2014-12-21 002.jpg
    2014-12-21 002.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 2014-12-21 003.jpg
    2014-12-21 003.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 51
Got 10 bins filled and still have a big pile left standing. Maybe half of the pile left? Have to make some more bins I guess. Bins are 48x48x 30" deep and 24" splits in them. Planning to put scrap plywood on the top of them. I could tarp them pretty easy too. Doesn't take long to stack big 24" long splits.
IMG_00001867.jpg IMG_00001869.jpg

Hey mustang.

I have the same trailer :) works well.

I also had to figure out how i was going to hook it up to the atv 2" ball.

Bought a cheapo hitch and and bolted it to the trailer. I used about 20 washers as spacers. Hard to describe but works great for getting through the woods.

Noce haul o ash!

2014-04-06 09.29.18.jpg I have one of those trailers too, must have picked it up at a sale one time. I use it behind the Steiner or the 4 wheeler. Only carry saws and gear in it though. I welded up a hitch so that it sits level now. I also have a real nice heavy one but someone borrowed it and never returned it.
2014-04-12 18.35.57.jpg

Latest posts

Back