Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same that I do. I keep the ball on my Honda just hand tight when I'm puling the splitter around the yard. When I need to hook up my little trailer, I just unscrew the ball and pin the trailer. The ball fits in the little trunk under my tail light until I need it again. It's surprising how much those little Craftsman trailers can carry for as light weight as they are.

View attachment 388548 This fellas is how to properly abuse one of those tin box trailers. This was not a one load and done deal for that trailer, she probably made twenty loads like that last fall. Now it only hauls splits over at my BIL Kent's house. Ill see if I can get a good pic of the new trailer tomorrow.
Now that's a load good thing u got chains on for traction

Oh yeah chains are a must when playing with garden tractors. I had killed my quad up at MustangMikes upstate property that summer going through the mud pit, so ole red got called into firewood duty. Poor mower deck takes a absolute beating, but oh well.........

Oh yeah chains are a must when playing with garden tractors. I had killed my quad up at MustangMikes upstate property that summer going through the mud pit, so ole red got called into firewood duty. Poor mower deck takes a absolute beating, but oh well.........
U could always take it off for more clearance

Hey mustang.

I have the same trailer :) works well.

I also had to figure out how i was going to hook it up to the atv 2" ball.

Bought a cheapo hitch and and bolted it to the trailer. I used about 20 washers as spacers. Hard to describe but works great for getting through the woods.

Noce haul o ash!
I have the same trailer, pull the little Z-bar deal off the tongue and install a cheap ball coupler. Both my lawn trailers and tractors use a 1-7/8" ball. I got tired of losing hitch pins because there is no tongue weight on those dumps.

Have any of you PA guys been up through Pennstate, or over towards Somerset? It pains me to see the acres and acres of dead oak just going to waste, from the Gypsy Moth caterpillar about five years back. Some of those trees have to be nearly four feet across the butt, and a hundred feet tall, and mostky debarked!

Santa came a few days early!!!! I have been waiting patiently for the local Lowes to get a DHT 22 ton in stock. I went there today and finally picked 1 up. TSC had theirs on sale for 950 Lowes price matched and I got 5% off using the Lowes card. I put oil and gas in and it fired on the first pull. I did a few spits to make sure everything was working properly. It had no problem with the red oak and hickory we threw at it. It started raining so we couldn't play too long. I took a pic of a portion of the wood pile too. We are looking good into next season.
1221141528.jpg 1221141533.jpg

Have any of you PA guys been up through Pennstate, or over towards Somerset? It pains me to see the acres and acres of dead oak just going to waste, from the Gypsy Moth caterpillar about five years back. Some of those trees have to be nearly four feet across the butt, and a hundred feet tall, and mostky debarked!

The reason the lumber co sold the land that I own upstate (they sold a 2,200 acre mountain) is because in the mid 80s the gypsy moths hit it so bad 2 years in a row that all the Hard Maple died. We had one really bad infestation after that. My wife and I went up in the spring to do some hiking and we had to come home. You could hear them eating, and we tried to walk through a trail and it looked like we were decorated for Halloween with all the webs on us.

The trip home was 2.5 hrs, and the car was still covered with webs when we got home, never saw anything like it before, and don't want to see it like that again!

View attachment 388548 This fellas is how to properly abuse one of those tin box trailers. This was not a one load and done deal for that trailer, she probably made twenty loads like that last fall. Now it only hauls splits over at my BIL Kent's house. Ill see if I can get a good pic of the new trailer tomorrow.
Winner!! Love it! :rock:

Hey Matt, that is some nice load of wood U put on that trailer!

But U forgot to say that going through the mud puddle on the logging road was UR choice, we have a trail around it. It is so bad that 4wd ATVs have gotten stuck in it, but that did not stop Matt from attempting it with a 2wd!

4x4 ATV's are made to pull 2x4's out of the mud, at least that's the way it works here.
A 1 7/8" ball hitch is installed on all my rolling stock, no hitch pins to lose, (mix and match).
I have one of them tin box trailers, light duty only since we bent the axle. Tires are starting to dry rot also.
My son's 4x4 Yamaya or my Honda 4x4 have taken care of all the towing, haven't had to use the Maasden or the snatch block so far, but it will happen one of these days. Murphy's Law.
Saw the sun for twenty min today, haven't had sun for more than two days in a row this month.
I hate wet wood, pulp hooks and hookeroons to the rescue. Cold wet hands hurt like a bxxxtch, got the white finger thing.
New rule, if the MM says 20% or less, in the stove it goes. Got to save the dry stuff for next month's really cold.
Gots to go feed the smoke dragon, need lots of air with that damp wood.

Good system, but I did not want to put a ball hitch on the little cart because I don't have a ball on the lawn tractor, and I may still pull it with that now & then.

That little cart may not hold a lot, but it is a lot more than a wheelbarrow, and the ATV pulling it saves a lot of time & backache! I'm going to reinforce that sliding back panel before I use it again. The wood knocks it out too easily.

It worked well for the circumstances I had, narrow path the ATV barely fit through, and soft (almost a swamp) soil, so the wide tires were appreciated.

Now I just need to figure out how to transport both that and the ATV on my 5X8 trailer!

By the way, where in CT R U at? I'm about a mile from the intersection of 684 & 84.

I don't have a pic, but my dad and I took an axle from a junk golf cart and built a frame and bed from treated lumber to pull behind the 4 wheeler. It is a slightly bigger than the metal dump cart. It gave extra ground clearance and wider tires that comes in handy in the woods.
I had a metal dump cart that I put many miles and smiles on pulling the kids around the old neighborhood. It was like a mini hay ride and they loved it.

the farmer on the adjoining property lets us cut all the dead and down trees we can. i was clearing a path into a downed ash tree while my buddy gassed up the saws. it just looked good when i got back up to the truck.2014-12-2209.04.54.jpg we ended up with 2 full truck loads of ash,oak and hickory before we got rained out.

Got 10 bins filled and still have a big pile left standing. Maybe half of the pile left? Have to make some more bins I guess. Bins are 48x48x 30" deep and 24" splits in them. Planning to put scrap plywood on the top of them. I could tarp them pretty easy too. Doesn't take long to stack big 24" long splits.
View attachment 388522 View attachment 388523

That is the nicest looking firewood setup I've ever seen! Guess you would need some kind of tractor/forklift thing to do that so a big No Go for me but still pretty cool.

I don't have a pic, but my dad and I took an axle from a junk golf cart and built a frame and bed from treated lumber to pull behind the 4 wheeler. It is a slightly bigger than the metal dump cart. It gave extra ground clearance and wider tires that comes in handy in the woods.
I had a metal dump cart that I put many miles and smiles on pulling the kids around the old neighborhood. It was like a mini hay ride and they loved it.
Back 35 years ago my dad built a trailer for the lawn&garden tractor that would haul a face cord. It was heavy angle, five lug axles, and flotation tires.

He then build the L&G tractor to pull it...dual ag tires filled and with chains, 150#s of weight on the nose. The dual adapters weighed nearly 100#s by themselves. The tractor had a limited slip, was an old wheelhorse 10hp. It would lift the front wheels before it would lose traction.

That setup hauled 10 cords of firewood a year (and rock, sand, and anything else needed) for 25 years. Not to mention it was my "4-wheeler" for a good many years growing up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

image.jpg I have put a few hundred miles on the old John Deere yard trailer in the woods behind my ATV. The Damn thing keeps tippin over in the worst places! In a stream, up a huge hill with a tight turn at the top etc. I have just bought a single axle ATV wagon made by Bosski. It has a torsion axle and a wider stance. The pic is from the net, not mine.image.jpg

Finally will be back in the woods on Saturday to take down more dying and dead trees on my property. Normal temps will finally return to the northland with 10 for the high and -1 for the low.

First to go will be the dead standing ash and birch. The ash will be burned this year after a little "toasting" in the furnace room. The birch will also probably go into the furnace room split on the small side for the last portion of this winter. Then I've got a lot of aspen to start taking down. 6 pickup loads are already spoken for so that will clean things up a little bit.

Latest posts

Back