Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polar Vortex has hit zogger, 12* now and winchills are supposed to be -22* tonight, YIKES! Thank goodness there is plenty of wood stacked and ready to burn.

Well, ya'all just have some fun then! hahahaha!

That would chill my blains, that cold.. double yikes!

I'd be hibernatin hard in the chair...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Here, today, first frog of the year, heard it in one of the rut puddles in front of the barn.

c4ae8f3c84f6f2421378b5e517125b94.jpg

550xp ****... score from thuis morning after work

I'd give anything to see a leaf - a twig - or a blade of grass. Pretty tough slogging through the wood lot right now. Added about 40" of white gold in the last few days, with another foot on the way. Ain't I the lucky one.View attachment 399879

The dairy I worked on up there had all the buildings except the haybarn connected, so you didn't have to go outside much when it was super nasty. The first building you hit from the house (via enclosed walkway/mudroom) was the woodshed, around 15 or better cord inside.

I'd give anything to see a leaf - a twig - or a blade of grass. Pretty tough slogging through the wood lot right now. Added about 40" of white gold in the last few days, with another foot on the way. Ain't I the lucky one.View attachment 399879

Don't have to worry about the septic freezing with a good blanket of insulation like that Clint.:D

I actually don't mind the cold, its just been non stop windy for two days now, I'm so sick of the wind drifts. Must have shoveled my sidewalk 20 timesin two days.

Yep. Plow snow to the end of the lot, back up for another pass, wind has blown snow right back into parking lot. I finally got a break, plowed the whole thing, and took a picture to prove it was done at some point. Wind was blowing again as I left.

I'd give anything to see a leaf - a twig - or a blade of grass. Pretty tough slogging through the wood lot right now. Added about 40" of white gold in the last few days, with another foot on the way. Ain't I the lucky one.
No chance of doing anything with scrounged wood right now except maybe burning it. I think I'll take the family down to breakfast while I'm planning what species to burn in sacrifice to the gods of sun and heat

"What it's like to be from Maine"

Hey Zog, enuff already
You can turn off the Polar Vortex anytime.
Cold and windy, what the Vikings and Yoopers call Sweater weather.
I'm burning anything I can get into the stove, Ash, Maple, Palonia and ice covered Oak. from the ice storm couple weeks back.
Love that Palonia, high heat, low ash, nice coals and nobody wants it. orignally planted for fence posts to relace cedar.
My first load came from a pile buried in a bog, bark had slipped and soaking wet, was in there over five years.
Dried it, split it, stringy fiber, and burned it. What a surprise. better than maple. almost like oak.
It has a very shallow root system and get blown over easy.
Time to leave, have to feed the smoke dragon, can feel the chill coming.
Hope that woodchuck don't see his shadow tomorrow, had enuff sweater weather.
My pine is burried and more snow tonight, something to look for after the thaw.
Got another load of pine, just across the road, neighbor had four big ones removed.
All mine, all 36"x 20', come and get them. Have to cut some cookies, he wants to make some table tops.
Time to break out Dolly 7900 with the 32" bar, just happen to have fresh chain.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to be still needed and wanted.

Hey Zog, enuff already
You can turn off the Polar Vortex anytime.
Cold and windy, what the Vikings and Yoopers call Sweater weather.
I'm burning anything I can get into the stove, Ash, Maple, Palonia and ice covered Oak. from the ice storm couple weeks back.
Love that Palonia, high heat, low ash, nice coals and nobody wants it. orignally planted for fence posts to relace cedar.
My first load came from a pile buried in a bog, bark had slipped and soaking wet, was in there over five years.
Dried it, split it, stringy fiber, and burned it. What a surprise. better than maple. almost like oak.
It has a very shallow root system and get blown over easy.
Time to leave, have to feed the smoke dragon, can feel the chill coming.
Hope that woodchuck don't see his shadow tomorrow, had enuff sweater weather.
My pine is burried and more snow tonight, something to look for after the thaw.
Got another load of pine, just across the road, neighbor had four big ones removed.
All mine, all 36"x 20', come and get them. Have to cut some cookies, he wants to make some table tops.
Time to break out Dolly 7900 with the 32" bar, just happen to have fresh chain.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to be still needed and wanted.

Ha! Weather guessers had it pretty close here, estimated start of polar...err..monsoon was 1pm, started at 1:07. Had all my chores done, all critters fed, wheelbarrow and a half more wood brought in. Put some flat rocks then covered with pea gravel in front of the ratsun and drove it up on it to give me a little back slope so the bed doesn't fill up anymore, this is cool....

I am not going out cutting until the old donkey knee heals up better though. The cutting part I could probably handle (as long as I am not a tard and don't need to jump outta the way..), the humping rounds out..no, not yet, too easy to get a little off and maybe lose the whole leg, pop the kneecap off or something. It's healing, so gonna leave it alone and not push hard, as long as it takes.

Sunny here today but the temps and wind sure bring the windthrill down to the "It Sucks !" themps of --10 to -15F in the open :(
Only a couple of inches of snow so I made a beeline for the treed area to block some of the winds , there I found some leaners so I dropped and winched them out to the road .

IMG_20150201_125238.jpg

Nice!! I planted two varieties of garlic this year. My first time, so hoping for some success. Nice wood haul as well.

Ahhhh, good, another garlic grower in our midst :) I've been growing garlic as a hobby for about 25 years now. Tried about a dozen varieties over the years and always come back to my BIG,HOT, Russian Purple Stripe that evidently was smuggled into Canada as seed in a grandmother's stockings around 1900 (or so the story goes from a decendent great grandson I got my original garlic from). What varieties did you plant?

HotRussian2.jpg

Latest posts

Back