Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give anything to see a leaf - a twig - or a blade of grass. Pretty tough slogging through the wood lot right now. Added about 40" of white gold in the last few days, with another foot on the way. Ain't I the lucky one.View attachment 399879
Wish you could send some of that white stuff up this ways. Its been a terrible winter, not enough snow to insulate things, on the verge of atv or snowmobile, varies daily. Praying for more snow. Only benefit is the ice is thick and dark, just gonna be a pain harvesting any this year.

We had a good snow in Nov, then Dec was fairly warm. Been cold enough in Jan, and a good amount of snow recently. Hi temp has been under 20 on several days, and a lot of wind also.

Seems like a lot of years recently we have a White Thanksgiving and a Green Christmas! Mother Nature is going through the "change"!

We had a good snow in Nov, then Dec was fairly warm. Been cold enough in Jan, and a good amount of snow recently. Hi temp has been under 20 on several days, and a lot of wind also.

Seems like a lot of years recently we have a White Thanksgiving and a Green Christmas! Mother Nature is going through the "change"!

I'm cool with it as long as we don't get any severe "hot flashes" ;)

Just got done plowing another 8", but it is still coming down, in the teens & windy! And I got appointments later.

Finally had a few flurries of white dirt this morning, but nothing major. Freaking cold now though, temp dropping fast.

Never any road plowing around here, when it comes down, it stays until driven over and melted. One exception, but I didn't see it. Boss told me storm of the century in 93 he took his own road grader and did the road all the way to the interstate (about 5 miles) so the chicken feed trucks could get in.

I think the state sands bridges and down in atlanta they have plow trucks.

When I worked for the moving co (mid 1970s) I was driving an 18 wheeler down in Atlanta when they had one of their 1st snows in years, those people did not have a clue! Cars off the road all over the place, was like they thought they could just drive normal in it. Very Scary!

FYI, we were transporting museum paintings (from NY to Atlanta) for an exhibit. The only reason they used 18 wheelers (only 4 paintings per load) was for the increased insurance. There was a rash of art thefts at the time, and we were ordered not to leave the truck unmanned for any reason. My 870 literally rode shotgun with us.

When I worked for the moving co (mid 1970s) I was driving an 18 wheeler down in Atlanta when they had one of their 1st snows in years, those people did not have a clue! Cars off the road all over the place, was like they thought they could just drive normal in it. Very Scary!

FYI, we were transporting museum paintings (from NY to Atlanta) for an exhibit. The only reason they used 18 wheelers (only 4 paintings per load) was for the increased insurance. There was a rash of art thefts at the time, and we were ordered not to leave the truck unmanned for any reason. My 870 literally rode shotgun with us.

Ya, there's just not enough snow for anyone to really get used to it.

Vehicles here are equipped to drive on hard surface roads, and then in the mud..but not snow. And ice, fergit it....

I did last year during the big snow/ice storm just for a hoot, to see if I could still do it, up to the country store and back..took me a long time, too. And if I had waited 1/2 hour or so more, nope, couldn't have done it, except maybe with chains.

I'm a fan of the new cable chains. Got the previous Mustang stuck down a long dirt uphill driveway when an unpredicted snow came a few years ago.

Put the cable chains on it, and it went up like a tractor! And now they make them with an extra break in them to make installation easier.

They go into the trunk of the Mustang every winter, even though I only needed them once.

I've also used them on the 4wd to get to my upstate property (2 mi in on a 4wd rd) when the rd is icy. They work well.

Okay I need a real honest answer. I know there's a lot of variables involved but what kind of time frame am I looking at to cure white oak? The lady I contacted months ago through a local forum finally responded to my last message and told me I can make a time to cut up all her downed oak trees. Also has several dead standing ones I can have.

Hey Zog, enuff already
You can turn off the Polar Vortex anytime.
Cold and windy, what the Vikings and Yoopers call Sweater weather.
I'm burning anything I can get into the stove, Ash, Maple, Palonia and ice covered Oak. from the ice storm couple weeks back.
Love that Palonia, high heat, low ash, nice coals and nobody wants it. orignally planted for fence posts to relace cedar.
My first load came from a pile buried in a bog, bark had slipped and soaking wet, was in there over five years.
Dried it, split it, stringy fiber, and burned it. What a surprise. better than maple. almost like oak.
It has a very shallow root system and get blown over easy.
Time to leave, have to feed the smoke dragon, can feel the chill coming.
Hope that woodchuck don't see his shadow tomorrow, had enuff sweater weather.
My pine is burried and more snow tonight, something to look for after the thaw.
Got another load of pine, just across the road, neighbor had four big ones removed.
All mine, all 36"x 20', come and get them. Have to cut some cookies, he wants to make some table tops.
Time to break out Dolly 7900 with the 32" bar, just happen to have fresh chain.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to be still needed and wanted.

You know I really like your sentence/writing structure. It feels like I'm reading a poem. Keep up the good work sir.

Okay I need a real honest answer. I know there's a lot of variables involved but what kind of time frame am I looking at to cure white oak? The lady I contacted months ago through a local forum finally responded to my last message and told me I can make a time to cut up all her downed oak trees. Also has several dead standing ones I can have.
this will go against the "grain" of what most say but i had access to some W O tops that were cut late spring 2014. i cut them in Oct. and split some in Dec. checked the with the meter last week and they were running in the 12-16 % range.just threw some in the stove a few minutes ago. your results may vary depending on the type of saw you use.:crazy2:

Latest posts

Back