Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer my surprises first on laying down trees with rootball attached. I cut at the rootball to release as much as I can immediately. Had a bunch of poplar blow down the last ice storm and I cut them all the same and had no problems. If you start at the top you have no idea when you have cut enough weight off to cause it to spring back up. They were laying almost flat on the ground. You can see how much the stumps settled back vertical. Can you guess when they would have lifted if you started at the top? I actually think I could have stood these stumps back up and they would have continued to grow back. I wish I would have cut them off about 20' high and stood them up to see what would happen.
ice4.jpg ice2.jpg

Hey, Zogger... could you turn the settings down a bit? I need an hour or two warm enough to melt the snow off the barn roof.

I've got some friends from Maine and it's always a good time visiting with them. Got to thinkin about one of them today and ended up listening to some Maine humor. Here's a couple quick ones might cheer up a few people tired of cold and snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLDE1D39A1CFD3571A&v=Ecg_WizWicQ

(Gotta click on that second one)

My wife and I have been in NH since 98. We have two children, both born here, and a cat named Biscuit.

Hey, Zogger... could you turn the settings down a bit? I need an hour or two warm enough to melt the snow off the barn roof.

I've got some friends from Maine and it's always a good time visiting with them. Got to thinkin about one of them today and ended up listening to some Maine humor. Here's a couple quick ones might cheer up a few people tired of cold and snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLDE1D39A1CFD3571A&v=Ecg_WizWicQ

(Gotta click on that second one)

My wife and I have been in NH since 98. We have two children, both born here, and a cat named Biscuit.

HAHAHA! Good one, cool to hear the accent.

I was hitchhiking one day up there and some geezer picked me up. Now I had seen this guy drive by numerous times over the years. I get in, he goes "Well, I guess you ain't a tourist.."

Oh, the machine..well, OK, took the jumper cables off, there will be a slight lag time wise...coupla months at least...

I was hitchhiking one day up there and some geezer picked me up. Now I had seen this guy drive by numerous times over the years. I get in, he goes "Well, I guess you ain't a tourist.."

Good one.

One of the stories I remember from a visit goes like this: A friend of a friend had a shop that was quite a ways from the highway. People from a popular vacation area used to get lost getting back to the highway and would frequently ask for directions at the shop. The shop owner got frustrated with people not knowing how to read maps, not knowing the road they were looking for, and for being tourists in general. One day a fella came in looking for directions so this guy gives him a fairly complicated set of instructions, goes over the instructions to make sure he has them down pat, then sends him on his way. About 40 minutes later the guy's back at the shop. "I don't know what happened" he said. "I'm sure I followed your directions perfectly but somehow I ended up back at your shop. I must have made a mistake." The shop owner replied "No mistake. I wanted to see if you could follow directions so I didn't waste my time trying to get you back to the highway."

Good one.

One of the stories I remember from a visit goes like this: A friend of a friend had a shop that was quite a ways from the highway. People from a popular vacation area used to get lost getting back to the highway and would frequently ask for directions at the shop. The shop owner got frustrated with people not knowing how to read maps, not knowing the road they were looking for, and for being tourists in general. One day a fella came in looking for directions so this guy gives him a fairly complicated set of instructions, goes over the instructions to make sure he has them down pat, then sends him on his way. About 40 minutes later the guy's back at the shop. "I don't know what happened" he said. "I'm sure I followed your directions perfectly but somehow I ended up back at your shop. I must have made a mistake." The shop owner replied "No mistake. I wanted to see if you could follow directions so I didn't waste my time trying to get you back to the highway."
:rock2: :ices_rofl: i'll have to try that one some time. i get "lost" people all the time at my produce stand in the summer. my usual response is "i'm sorry but can't get to there from here".goes right over the top of some of them.

IMG_20150221_132443.jpg

But , that was a rotten old pffttt fir so I junked it up and into the bonfire pile it went .
I had a few leaning and dead spruce in this clump .

IMG_20150221_130157.jpg

Even had a helper today , came with his own Kubota he did :)

IMG_20150221_151404.jpg

We hauled out two dozen trees between that clump and one on the other side , a mixture of dead and green spruce , a few dead birch and a few for the bonfire pile , it was a great afternoon .
Brought a bit of dead spruce home .

IMG_20150221_171017.jpg

I got them split up and tested some with my low tech moisture meter .

IMG_20150221_170955.jpg

It said it was good to go :)

Me and Pop's got out in the woods today to tackle that big black oak, and I took my big bore Makita, and the 5105 Dolmar. The maiden voyage for both saws and neither one disappointed. The Makita is a screamer. I had a **** eatin' grin on my face the whole time it was in my hands. My ms271 will likely hit the road now that I've run the 5105 as well. If the weather holds out for another day, I'll try to get some pics of it after the split session. It was a great day for cutting today with temps around 35.

Latest posts

Back