Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere around 100" for an average snowfall.
That's pretty high. Some of the low mountain towns around Glacier Park in northwestern MT are only around 60" annual snowfall.

Looks like we've already got the max snow they were predicting for this storm. Wonder how much more we'll get before it stops around 7:00 tomorrow morning.

I love my Maasdans Rope puller, and Like Matt said, get the good rope that they recommend, it is 3X stronger than the HD stuff of the same diameter.

Because U can feed the rope through it, it is much more versatile than the cable come along. In fact, I don't remember the last time I used the cable one.

My brother & my friend Harold told me the rope would stretch too much also, they were wrong! This is over 1,000 lbs. 6.5 X 6.5 Ash, 12' high, 27' long top piece.

Attachments

• Cabin31028 002.jpg
    Cabin31028 002.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Cabin31028 003.jpg
    Cabin31028 003.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Cabin31028 006.jpg
    Cabin31028 006.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 75
The Mustang has been doing well in the snow this year with the Blizzaks, but I really tested it tonight. A few inches of unplowed snow, and it felt like ice under it. A few of the hills were in doubt, but I made it! But now, I know where it's limits are. Anything more than this, I'm taking the 4wd.

Somewhere around 100" for an average snowfall.
We get about a 130" average snow fall as advertised by the local new station which is based on the data collected at the airport an hour south of me. The airport is out of the way of the weekly localized lake effect snow bands we get from Lake Ontario. The larger ones still stretch down and reach the airport but If I had to guess my local town sees more like 150" annual snow fall. And it goes up the further north and north east from me.

You guy's are really making me not miss living in the snow belt. South central Pa only has a little on the ground. Maybe 6-10 inches on the ground from the last 2 months of snow/ice with very little melting. Heck I can still drive my truck to the wood pile to haul wood to the house. I sure don't miss living in the snow belt of oh and NY.

The Mustang has been doing well in the snow this year with the Blizzaks, but I really tested it tonight. A few inches of unplowed snow, and it felt like ice under it. A few of the hills were in doubt, but I made it! But now, I know where it's limits are. Anything more than this, I'm taking the 4wd.

With the trunk and backseat filled with firewood, it will undoubtedly do even better.

I love my Maasdans Rope puller, and Like Matt said, get the good rope that they recommend, it is 3X stronger than the HD stuff of the same diameter.

Because U can feed the rope through it, it is much more versatile than the cable come along. In fact, I don't remember the last time I used the cable one.

My brother & my friend Harold told me the rope would stretch too much also, they were wrong! This is over 1,000 lbs. 6.5 X 6.5 Ash, 12' high, 27' long top piece.

Nice. I may buy a couple if I'm unable to find a used superior model.

Ambull, those things are awesome. Got a couple myself and they are worth their weight in gold.

Do you use them in falling or just as an aide for difficult/dangerous trees?

I use one anytime I'm cutting a tree without a positive lean that could cause damage to an immovable object within its vicinity. The few minutes it takes to hook up a come along is well worth it.

I finally had to park my 2WD Ranger last week and start using my Trailblazer. I had my mustang out 1 time in snow and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Any time there is any doubt in my mind about which way it would go when cutting, I break out one or two. Get a throw line and get that rope a good 30 or 35 feet into that tree and you'll be surprised what kind of leverage you can get once you tie a recovery strap around an anchoring tree. You can completely reverse a fall if you need to. Use a good 3 strand rope like New Englands 3 strand safety blue. I tried using my half inch Yale bull rope on it and it just slipped on the spool! Talk about frightening. 3 strand is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back