Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:happybanana:Were having a heat wave .
Yesterday morn -10, this morn +16 deg F, woohoo
My wood is still buried under four feet of snow. Hope Billy comes thru with some wood from his prosseser.
Still have enuff till next week, then the digging starts. Have to find which pile is the splitter. then start burning PINE.
Retired.
After fourty years working, I retired.
Yesterday, I hauled wood into the house, shoveled snow, sanded the drive, took the dog out and kept the stove fueled.
This morning I woke up tired, duz that mean I retired ????

Whatcha gonna do today?
nuthing
You did that yesterday.
Ya I know, I never finished.

Over and out.

I am going to buck some aspen logs this weekend from when we cut in January and try out both models of Leveraxe. What's the plural of Leveraxe? Leveraxen LOL.

I still need to drop some birch and maple before sap starts moving.

Why are you still using those crappy axes? Just relent and use the tried and true X27.

On another note, can't remember if it's you or @Philbert that is the axe freak. I started to watch a documentary about a group of people living in the Taiga: http://www.fandango.com/happypeople:ayearinthetaiga_143134/movieoverview

Extremely cold and remote. They use chainsaws a lot but a lot of axes. I wish I could sharpen an awe like these guys. One guy kinda looks like a rugged version of Liam Neeson. He made wooden splitting wedges on the spot and wedged out some slabs to make his own skis. Really impressive

Why are you still using those crappy axes? Just relent and use the tried and true X27.

On another note, can't remember if it's you or @Philbert that is the axe freak. I started to watch a documentary about a group of people living in the Taiga: http://www.fandango.com/happypeople:ayearinthetaiga_143134/movieoverview

Extremely cold and remote. They use chainsaws a lot but a lot of axes. I wish I could sharpen an awe like these guys. One guy kinda looks like a rugged version of Liam Neeson. He made wooden splitting wedges on the spot and wedged out some slabs to make his own skis. Really impressive
LOL I split plenty with my X27.

After lackluster results last fall, I had really good luck in frozen wood with the LA2 earlier this winter. I think the original is going to work better but we will see.

Regarding the axe freak on this forum, well that's neither of us :dancing:

LOL I split plenty with my X27.

After lackluster results last fall, I had really good luck in frozen wood with the LA2 earlier this winter. I think the original is going to work better but we will see.

Regarding the axe freak on this forum, well that's neither of us :dancing:

No way, you're it. You're the one with the axe thread right!? You're also the guy that's always finding some old rusty looking axe heads and putting new handles on them.

Ya left out the Rope Puller, and I still only have 4 saws!!!

Oh yes, forgot the rope puller! lol. I need one. Anyway, don't you think that machine would be cool? May help to keep the chain out of the dirt since the bar wouldn't be able to go below parallel. No bending down, taking a knee to buck logs on the ground. Less chance of a kickback, I think. More visibility.

I'm still hitting the iceage good hardwood stash pretty hard...need some more tweaks on that machine, we ain't supposed to get full yankster effects!
I know that folks down south don't understand why us northeasterners are grumpy all the time. We're not, actually. It's just that we only have four months a year to be happy. So consider this a climate exchange program to help everyone understand how bright and optimistic a yankee's outlook really is.

No way, you're it. You're the one with the axe thread right!? You're also the guy that's always finding some old rusty looking axe heads and putting new handles on them.
Isn't that CTYank?

Yes that's me. But if I develop a vehement dislike for anything doesn't have a hickory handle and claim all of my tools will outsplit a Fiskars please institutionalize me. :D

Remember how I said I got my sled fixed? Well I decided to try riding out to the trail head but the problem was it hadnt been touched for quite some time. I had to (attempt to) break a trail through the woods. Well, the only way to keep from sinking is to carry enough speed to stay on top of the snow... (mind you, I already knew this was a bad idea before I started and knew exactly how this was going to end.)

So Im about 3-400 feet into the woods on the neighbors property and its a newly marked trail this year and I was slow to negoatiate a slight turn and had to stop to avoid confrontation with a tree. So what happens is you have to get off the sled and lift the front end and drag it over and get it pointed in the direction you want to head. Keep in mind, while that sounds simple, the probability of burrying the sled when you take off is 200% unless to walk and pack a path in front of it as wide as the sled for ~20 feet, the longer the better your odds are at making it out. That gives you enough traction and speed to get back on top of the snow, usually. So I hop off the sled and immediately sink up to my belly button in snow and the only reason I stopped there is because the snow pack around my crotch. So I take the next half hour breaking the snow down in front of the sled and getting it lined up where I need to go. Take off and get about a sled length past the section I walked out and get my sled burried.

50FA86AB-90CE-4ED4-AE47-62A9BA68ED6B.jpg

All bets are off now, Im stuck and headed slightly up hill to make matters worse. Only option now is to get turned around and head home. So now, to get unstuck you have to trample around the sled to give it some room and get the snow unpacked, lift the rear of the sled out of the hole it dug and drag the sled back. Trample an area of snow down off the to side and drag the rear of the sled into it like a "K turn".

Got turned around and headed out but only made it another 20 feet before getting stuck again. This time it was the worst. When the rear bumper is flush with the semi-packed snow your standing on its a bad day and very hard to lift out. To make matters worse snow does some funny thing when you start disturbing it. It acts like concrete and starts to harden up. So 30-40 minutes into trying to get this out again and the snow is starting to setup. I managed to get it out but I was exhausted after all of this and moving 2 face cords earlier. My wife was not impressed with me taking so long.

I've been there before, more than once.

I discovered it was much easier to tramp down a bit on the sides, then roll it completely over on one side. Jamb snow in the hole under it where the track was. Tip it upright again, then roll it completely over the other way. Jamb more snow under. Roll back up again and it's now sitting up in the air on solid snow. Then you can usually slide/swing it around & get it pointed in the other direction. It's still a lot of work, but about the best way I found to get unstuck if it's stuck like that.

I've been there before, more than once.

I discovered it was much easier to tramp down a bit on the sides, then roll it completely over on one side. Jamb snow in the hole under it where the track was. Tip it upright again, then roll it completely over the other way. Jamb more snow under. Roll back up again and it's now sitting up in the air on solid snow. Then you can usually slide/swing it around & get it pointed in the other direction. It's still a lot of work, but about the best way I found to get unstuck if it's stuck like that.

Thats what I had to do the second time because the skid was so deeply buried I could not lift the rear of the sled using the rear bumper. Thats not normally how I do it though. I typically just grab the rear bumper and lift it up to knee high and swing it over to the side then kick snow down under the track, then swing it to the other side and repeat. Then I go and kick out under the belly pan and the skis and trample the snow down infront of the sled. From there I usually drag the sled back as far as I reasonably can so I can get some momentum build up.

Yes that's me. But if I develop a vehement dislike for anything doesn't have a hickory handle and claim all of my tools will outsplit a Fiskars please institutionalize me. :D

Hey, could you give me a recommendation for a general all purpose axe right quick? I don't need a felling axe, have a Makita. Most likely will use it to fix my bone headed mistakes, namely getting the chainsaw bar stuck in a kerf. Also limbing up to 2-3" diameter stuff. I would like a narrow head to really bite into the wood, the Fiskars X27 has saved me a few times but the head isn't ideal for cutting.

Also, just saw this: http://hiconsumption.com/2015/02/best-axes/

Leveraxe is at the bottom. Didn't realize it is considered one of the best

Hey, could you give me a recommendation for a general all purpose axe right quick? I don't need a felling axe, have a Makita. Most likely will use it to fix my bone headed mistakes, namely getting the chainsaw bar stuck in a kerf. Also limbing up to 2-3" diameter stuff. I would like a narrow head to really bite into the wood, the Fiskars X27 has saved me a few times but the head isn't ideal for cutting.

Also, just saw this: http://hiconsumption.com/2015/02/best-axes/

Leveraxe is at the bottom. Didn't realize it is considered one of the best
I'd really like to try that Wilton Bash maul with the 36" handle. Only question is, 6 or 8 lbs? F*** the lever axe, Im highly sceptical that you could split anything other than toothpicks. I need manly chunks of wood not some kindlen.

I would not go by articles like that - written to please the companies that advertise in their magazines.

I have a couple of the Fiskars chopping axes that I like to take for limbing small branches and driving bucking wedges. Different shaped head. A lot of guys here on A.S. have had nice things to say about the Husqvarna traditional axes. For what you describe, a basic hardware store type axe (Plumb, Collins, Stanley) would probably be OK, especially if you narrow out the cheeks a bit, like in the USFS axe videos.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back