Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ambull01

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would not go by articles like that - written to please the companies that advertise in their magazines.

I have a couple of the Fiskars chopping axes that I like to take for limbing small branches and driving bucking wedges. Different shaped head. A lot of guys here on A.S. have had nice things to say about the Husqvarna traditional axes. For what you describe, a basic hardware store type axe (Plumb, Collins, Stanley) would probably be OK, especially if you narrow out the cheeks a bit, like in the USFS axe videos.

Philbert

I wanted a Fiskars chopping axe but they're kinda short. Looks like the longest is only 28". I want a full sized axe, 36". Don't ask me why though because I have no idea. Just feel like I'll have more power, axe head will be further away from my soft body, etc.

I can't be caught carrying around a regular ole department store axe!

My semi-chisel WP chains from Bailey's just arrived today. I'm fixin to kick some tree asses.

olyman
And here I thought I was missing something not having a snow mobile!!!!

I think I'd rather cut wood!!!
when my bro,,had his 800 deere, with bogeys, I got it stuck one tooo many times,, and said that's enough,, and didn't ride it again........and yes, I know, the new ones are much better!! and a h of a lot higher priced!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ambull01

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
@Philbert , you think this could be used as a multipurpose firewood tool?
No.

I did some work with commercial roofers many years ago. They use axes occasionally for removing old, built up, tar roofs. We looked at a bunch of tools, including fire fighter axes - different tool, made for structural work, not chopping wood.

Bailey's does have other axes in the length you want - Husqvarna axes only shown to 28 inches. Not familiar with the other brand.

Philbert

Hey, could you give me a recommendation for a general all purpose axe right quick? I don't need a felling axe, have a Makita. Most likely will use it to fix my bone headed mistakes, namely getting the chainsaw bar stuck in a kerf. Also limbing up to 2-3" diameter stuff. I would like a narrow head to really bite into the wood, the Fiskars X27 has saved me a few times but the head isn't ideal for cutting.

Also, just saw this: http://hiconsumption.com/2015/02/best-axes/

Leveraxe is at the bottom. Didn't realize it is considered one of the best
Leveraxe is a specialty splitting tool. Its probably less useful for felling/chopping than an 8# maul. That article isn't that good as it is comparing apples to oranges to kiwis.

I can personally attest that Leveraxe works fantastic in certain situations and terrible in others. That's as unbiased of an opinion as I can give.

As Philbert noted, a regular hardware store axe will serve you well. I'd offer to mail you one of mine but the cost of shipping is probably more than you would pay locally. FWIW I picked up a nice DBA last fall at a yard sale for $1.

SteveSS

SteveSS

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'd really like to try that Wilton Bash maul with the 36" handle. Only question is, 6 or 8 lbs? F*** the lever axe, Im highly sceptical that you could split anything other than toothpicks. I need manly chunks of wood not some kindlen.
I think that's what @SteveSS just bought.
Yep. That's the one. I posted some pics of it in the Splitting Tool Review thread. Haven't had the chance to use it yet. Soon though. I bought the 6 pounder and think it's heavier than 6 pounds, but I don't know for sure. I should bring it to work and put it on the postage scale.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
I just installed some studs on my new Husqvarna chainsaw boots. Cant wait to use them this weekend on the log pile. I as out there last weekend on the logs and fell once... not no more!

Ya, let us know how they work out. I didn't get them for mine, didn't think I cut in the ice that much (about...never) to make it worthwhile.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Speaking of 'Scrounging' . . . .

I got a robo-call from the electrical utility today. Said crews would be in my area trimming and removing trees near power lines; that brush would be stacked near the curbs for a few days; and that larger pieces of wood would be left on the property. Sounds like an invitation?

I have no need for wood right now, and no place to put it. But if I did, I might call the contact number and follow the crews around with hot coffee and doughnuts.

Philbert

Ambull01

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
No.

I did some work with commercial roofers many years ago. They use axes occasionally for removing old, built up, tar roofs. We looked at a bunch of tools, including fire fighter axes - different tool, made for structural work, not chopping wood.

Bailey's does have other axes in the length you want - Husqvarna axes only shown to 28 inches. Not familiar with the other brand.

Philbert

Forgot about looking on Bailey's. They have a nice cheap Council Tools axe for less than $30. 36" handle. That should do the trick. Thanks

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
I wanted a Fiskars chopping axe but they're kinda short. Looks like the longest is only 28". I want a full sized axe, 36". Don't ask me why though because I have no idea. Just feel like I'll have more power, axe head will be further away from my soft body, etc.

I can't be caught carrying around a regular ole department store axe!

My semi-chisel WP chains from Bailey's just arrived today. I'm fixin to kick some tree asses.
I went with a fiskars x15 for fixing my stupid mistakes and to drive felling wedges. Don't underestimate the power you can get behind those short handled axes. I like the short handle as I can keep it with me as I fell and buck without it getting in the way. If I need more power I keep the. X27 in the truck

Latest posts