Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bahaha nice Phil...

Here's is some back yard ice racing that takes place every weekend back in my home town. The studs they use in their tires are special ice screws.

This will be the first pair of boots I've had studs in. We'll see how well I like them.

19EE177B-7FAF-4074-977F-1BE640356DB8.jpg

Electric company took down a hard maple on my property next to my drive way. Look like I'll be running a saw today. :)

I just started to burn wood this year after installing an Enviro Cabello 1200. I found someone with an ad on craigslist that had 10 trees cut down. I didn't get it all but, I have pulled 6 trailer loads out. He had a couple others come before me and they got the really easy stuff and never came back. Mostly it is was ash. I talked to his neighbor who had more taken down and working on pulling those rounds out.
8714b9f55f7b231f53eaf483ef5aa095.jpg

I travel around locally for my job and at our site closet to our house I saw the Parks dept and a tree company taking down a tree between the road and side walk. I stopped asked them if they wanted someone to take that because they were just piling it up. They said sure. So scored two trees. This one I cut up last evening and loaded in about an hour. Cant beat pulling up right by it. I think it was a sugar maple.
b01a00c82d1eb1ad8327fd26042f3ce1.jpg

This is the damage I did yesterday. The semi chisel rips through large white oak so I don't really see a need for chisel.
IMG_20150227_144517_653_zpsggejsupr.jpg

A close up:
IMG_20150227_144656_902_zpsowjtf5ko.jpg

Still have a bunch of trees waiting for me. As I walked away for the day, a thought came to me. How in the hell am I going to get all this stuff in the van?

Welcome back, scroungers. Got out and ran a few saws today. Got four big oaks felled and bucked up over at Dad's house. It still needs to be split, but it sure is a mess load of BTU's on the ground. My back isn't too happy with me right now, but the Aleve will help with that. Ran the Dolmar 5105, the Makita, and the MS441 until it puked out the spark plug again. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I have a new oem cylinder to put on it, but haven't taken the time to do it yet. Snow fell most of the time we were out today and accumulated just shy of two inches while we were cutting. Supposed to keep on falling until sometime tomorrow. Hope everyone is staying warm.

This is the damage I did yesterday. The semi chisel rips through large white oak so I don't really see a need for chisel.
IMG_20150227_144517_653_zpsggejsupr.jpg

A close up:
IMG_20150227_144656_902_zpsowjtf5ko.jpg

Still have a bunch of trees waiting for me. As I walked away for the day, a thought came to me. How in the hell am I going to get all this stuff in the van?

You are this close to scoring a trailer..all of us know this.....

Well, again no scrounge, but dug out my 394 to see wazzup with it, and I *think* I have a clue why it is so hard and impossible to start..severe lack of spark. Unfortunately another saw that was stacked over it tipped over and drained bar oil on it so it's a slimy mess. Hopefully a new unlimited coil and some more cleaning I'll be ready to...

...go lift weights and drink gallons of protein stuff to get strong enough to hump this thing! HAHAHAHAHAHA I had forgotten how stout it was.

I got the second tree today, which was an ash. I cleaned it up and then went back to the first tree because I had left the big trunk. I had already changed my chain earlier and i was on my last cut with only like 3 inches to go. The chain some how slipped off the bar, but I didn't notice it being loose before this happened. When I inspected the chain sprocket teeth were broke. This was a brand new Stihl chain. Luckily I had another one still in a box.
458b25544aba2c05655ed64bb246c405.jpg
21d624fa2a4790e4805a24ec6d908364.jpg

That's because you've never tried full chisle. Once you go full chisel you won't go back. Everything your cutting is clean and so the edge would last as long as you can keep it ou of the dirt at the end of your cut.

Today's load. Ironically the tree that has been dead for two years was solid and the 3/4 live tree was core rotted badly. Day ended hitting a snow covered rock that was directly under one of the cuts. I will say the Carlton teeth hold up much better than Oregon. I cut a few limbs after the hit and it did throw uneven chips where a LGX/LPX would have been out of commission. Although LPX does cut a lot faster so I'll always have a few loops on hand. :)
The X27 took this load down to size with ease.
image.jpg

We've got another nice day in the forecast for tomorrow and I know where there's another big spruce that died last spring , Pioneerguy600 has a few saws that he just built and wants to run them so I think that big spruce is gonna come down .
svk , Oregon bought Carleton a few years ago .
On a side note , if the site crashes, some of us are regulars on the pig site as well , so we're still around and easy to find on the world wide web .

svk , Oregon bought Carleton a few years ago .
On a side note , if the site crashes, some of us are regulars on the pig site as well , so we're still around and easy to find on the world wide web .

I've got different vintages of Carlton and it seems to all hold up better. It's slower cutting than even LGX though.

The piggy site. ;). Stopped in there once and seemed a little rough lol.

Back