Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrounging firewood

Don't know wat has happen to the website but must have had some maitance done too the site
Anyway the letters are in big bold as I type them I guess it's good for those who need reading glasses
I don't know why it's doin it everyone else's is the normal size letters bugger it's changed again. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_O:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Back to scrounging wood got some redwood that had died in the guts and was in risk off falling over so will be good once dryed for kindling and burning in the fireplace image.jpgimage.jpg shame to have had to cut it up for firewood but was buggered

I put my high performance summer tires on wider wheels, so the Blizzaks are on the original wheels. Lucky for me, the 2006 was the last year before they put the tire pressure sensors in, so I don't have to deal with that when I switch them.

I think the Blizzaks were the first, but several companies not making good winter tires. They claim that even on dry roads, they grip better than all season tires if the temps are under 40 degrees. If you run them in the summer, I hear they wear very fast, but they last well in the winter. I'm on the 3rd or 4th winter, and they still look almost new. (I do about 4,000 miles each winter).

They do wear faster in the summer, especially on the front. They also do a lot of "talkin" if pushing them hard in corners or heavy right foot'ed.

Mainewoods:
I had a Heart Attack at 46 years old.
Had to have a stent put in.
Dry, Non -Dairy Coffee Creamer is the worst thing ever.

Be careful with your meds for the next few weeks.
Blood thinners and Bata Blockers will make you light headed.
They will also make you Cold. Be careful going outside.

David
I had a stent put in 7 years ago. They put me on Plavix as a blood thinner. Hated the stuff (a scratch and I'd bleed like a stuck pig), but the nurse said take it every day, miss a week and you will be back to visit me, guaranteed. She wasn't that nice so I obeyed. Do the cardiac rehab, I did some at the hospital gym. Got to see guys that had bad heart attacks. Couldn't do 10 minutes walking slow on the treadmill. Real eye opener.

Mainewoods glad to hear everything is ok. Take care of yourself.

Also thanks for the scary reminder that we all need to take care of ourselves. It was an little extra motivator for me. I am 31 and out of shape from my wonderful desk job. I started exercising and eating healthier 5 weeks ago just to help deal with some of the stress that comes with work. Exercising is great as long as it is something that can be sustained long term. I have done this before and burnt out in 4-8 weeks. I feel better about it this time and your scare has reminded me to make sure I keep it up.

Biggest offender---- sodium. Biggest producer of sodium---- processed food and restaurant meals.

I know this is not a nutrition forum/thread so this will be my last rant on this subject lol. Check this out:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

Your sentence in bold sounds exactly like the CDC's blurb.

Avoid processed meats. Almost all the studies that have concluded that red meat is bad for you classify a hot dog the same as they do a lean steak, which is nonsense.

Venison Backstrap will always be one of my favorites, cooked very rare! I cut it like Fillet Minot! (about 4" length). I also always eat plenty of veggies, I see the wife has a nice spaghetti squash from my garden on the counter to be included with tonight's dinner.

Glad they caught it early Clint, good on your wife! Tell her we thank her for keepin U around!!!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14998608

There's a plethora of studies that show saturated fat is actually GOOD for you! Because of flawed studies we have the nation trimming off fat from steaks, spending more to buy lean meats, people like my ex-wife that believes only white turkey meat is good for you, etc. There is so much BS in the world of nutrition.

I've had to watch my sodium for a while now , Wendy's are the best for a fastfood place , baked taters are safe and some of their salads are safe , what and how much you put on them is what you have to watch out for .
Venison and other wild meats are lean so they are the healthiest , keep of feeding them "pets" but don't get them too fat LOL

See the link about sodium above. What if the sodium is of little significance and it's actually the carbs/taters? Carbs are converted to glucose in your body. So you may be limiting your table sugar intake but if you're eating a lot of carbs then you're really doing nothing. From what I've read, we don't need to eat carbs. We could just eat veggies and good ole meat to acquire everything our body needs to be strong and healthy.

do yourself a huuuuge favor,,and dump all margarine in the trash. muh SIL,told me,,after I read a bunch of articles,,that that junk,,was one molecule off of plastic.......set a tub of that trash outside,,and not one animal on any type will touch it.. try that with butter.. he told me,,that they are sure that that is whats causing hardening of the arterys.........I wont let female use that junk in nothing............

I stopped using margarine about 2 years ago, right after I started researching what REALLY constitutes a healthy diet/food. Butter is actually good for you. So is lard even though to think my grandmother was taking her life in her hands by cooking with it.

Last health related link:

http://lifehacker.com/why-theres-so-much-confusion-over-nutrition-and-fitness-1572870867

If you're really interested in health, read the books written by Gary Taubes. It's really in depth and looks at the major scientific studies that shaped our current knowledge/beliefs about a healthy diet. There are many flaws with the studies that has been a major contributor to the fattening of America.

Mainewoods glad to hear everything is ok. Take care of yourself.

Also thanks for the scary reminder that we all need to take care of ourselves. It was an little extra motivator for me. I am 31 and out of shape from my wonderful desk job. I started exercising and eating healthier 5 weeks ago just to help deal with some of the stress that comes with work. Exercising is great as long as it is something that can be sustained long term. I have done this before and burnt out in 4-8 weeks. I feel better about it this time and your scare has reminded me to make sure I keep it up.

I have a desk job as well. It's kind of depressing when you read how sitting down for long periods of time will actually lower your life span. Also, if you sit for prolonged periods even exercising will not stop the deteriorating effect. Or something like that at least lol. I just make it a point to stand up every hour and move around. I work at a large building on the 4th floor so I'll walk all the down to the 1st floor and back up every other hour. It helps keep my legs from feeling great and is good prep for humping logs out of the woods.

Ambull,
I am not afraid of salt. I like the Himalayan sea salt my wife buys. I use a little when I feel the need. I am not afraid of fats etc. I use coconut oil or olive oil in most of my cooking and it tastes pretty good. Finally, a friend convinced me to try grass fed butter because the fats in it are good for you. I have to tell you I am hooked on it. I don't eat very much butter but when I do the grass fed butter tastes better.

I work from home so I get up every hour to feed the wood stove. I am usually up more often than than that since I drink a ton of water so I gotta go. When I am on the phone I like to walk around the house or at lease stand as anything I can do helps.

I am 5 weeks into an exercise program and hauling the wood in has gotten easier. Actually everything has gotten easier. I feel better and cant wait for the weather to break so I can start cutting for next year.

Ambull,
I am not afraid of salt. I like the Himalayan sea salt my wife buys. I use a little when I feel the need. I am not afraid of fats etc. I use coconut oil or olive oil in most of my cooking and it tastes pretty good. Finally, a friend convinced me to try grass fed butter because the fats in it are good for you. I have to tell you I am hooked on it. I don't eat very much butter but when I do the grass fed butter tastes better.

I work from home so I get up every hour to feed the wood stove. I am usually up more often than than that since I drink a ton of water so I gotta go. When I am on the phone I like to walk around the house or at lease stand as anything I can do helps.

I am 5 weeks into an exercise program and hauling the wood in has gotten easier. Actually everything has gotten easier. I feel better and cant wait for the weather to break so I can start cutting for next year.

Good deal. I use coconut oil too. Always thought veggie oil was the better alternative but nope, I was wrong about that too. I love butter and now don't feel bad eating it.

I'm still waiting to work from home, my boss is a serious procrastinator. You need to fill your stove every hour? Why are do you drink so much water? Surprise surprise, I have an issue with the whole drink before you're thirsty thing too lol. Turns out a lot of that nonsense has been put out by a Gatorade funded organization. In boot camp, we were forced to guzzle canteens of water all the time and right before going to sleep. Evidently our bodies, after thousands upon thousands of years, is pretty good a pretty efficient machine. We don't really need to force ourselves to drink like the Marine Corps seems to think. So much BS I tell you. Now I double/triple check everything I read or hear.

I've heard if you think of exercising as practice then it will be easier. I like to watch You Tube videos of power lifters right before I lift weights. I'm not a power lifter by any means but it pumps me up. Check out Dan Green and Benedikt Magnusson. Those are some big bad dudes. I love their intensity. If that doesn't pump you up to exercise then you may want to check your pulse.

Be careful with excessive amounts of fat, almost all meat is marbled anyway, so you can't trim it all. However, in today's environment, there are toxins in almost everything, and animals store toxins in the fat.

The toxins in beef, fish & poultry can increase your risk of cancer a lot, as can the junk they put in processed meats. I avoid the dark meat on fish (generally along the backbone of the fillet), skins on chicken, and the border fat on red meat.

Although my total cholesterol level is "border line", my good cholesterol is very high, so the doctor says I'm good.

Regular workouts and keeping the wt in check make a big difference, and I avoid eating the bread at restaurants, even though I love it!

No need to feed the stove every hour but I just get up and check on it. I drink lots of water because if I dont make a point of it in the morning I will find that I dont drink any all day. I dont drink crazy amounts of water but in the a morning I drink a 32oz water between my 16oz coffee's just to make sure I am hydrated for my lunch time workout. I have well water and it is delicious so I tend to drink only water after the coffee.

Best think that is working for me is I am doing one of the beachbody programs , T25 which I can do in my basement at lunch. So no traveling, no excuses. Just go to the basement and do it. Seems much easier to fit it in mid day. I miss weight lifting but there is not a gym within 30 minutes of my house.

Well it looks like I won't be doing any scrounging for a while. I just got home, after 2 days in the ICU, from a darn heart attack. Had to have a stent put in due to an 80% blockage of one of my arteries. Please do yourselves a big favor and have your cholesterol checked. It isn't called the silent killer for nothing. I had no idea mine was as high as it was. But I have been one of the lucky ones, so far! Still a long road to recovery ahead when a heart muscle gets damaged. But I'm still alive, so you aren't getting rid of me that easily!!;):D

Be careful with excessive amounts of fat, almost all meat is marbled anyway, so you can't trim it all. However, in today's environment, there are toxins in almost everything, and animals store toxins in the fat.

The toxins in beef, fish & poultry can increase your risk of cancer a lot, as can the junk they put in processed meats. I avoid the dark meat on fish (generally along the backbone of the fillet), skins on chicken, and the border fat on red meat.

Although my total cholesterol level is "border line", my good cholesterol is very high, so the doctor says I'm good.

Regular workouts and keeping the wt in check make a big difference, and I avoid eating the bread at restaurants, even though I love it!

The whole eating animal fat is pretty interesting to me. The book I read and many studies point out heart disease, cancer, etc are referred to as western diseases. They pointed out how there's cultures around the world that only eat animal flesh/fat, drink whole milk, and in general digest high levels of saturated fat. These cultures are almost totally devoid of the so called western diseases. Once members of these cultures start to eat western/modern foods they all develop the same amount of risks.

I eat the skin on chicken, love animal fat, love read meat, and I'll eat just about every part of a fish except perhaps the head. I love bread but I know it's not great for me.

No need to feed the stove every hour but I just get up and check on it. I drink lots of water because if I dont make a point of it in the morning I will find that I dont drink any all day. I dont drink crazy amounts of water but in the a morning I drink a 32oz water between my 16oz coffee's just to make sure I am hydrated for my lunch time workout. I have well water and it is delicious so I tend to drink only water after the coffee.

Best think that is working for me is I am doing one of the beachbody programs , T25 which I can do in my basement at lunch. So no traveling, no excuses. Just go to the basement and do it. Seems much easier to fit it in mid day. I miss weight lifting but there is not a gym within 30 minutes of my house.

I see. I used to drink copious amounts of water thinking it was extremely healthy. Then I learned I'm just making myself pee too much basically lol. You ever hear if you're thirsty then you're already dehydrated? Well that's more or less BS too! Drink until you're not thirsty is supposedly the best thing to do in most circumstances. Stupid freaking Gatorade and their "scientific" marketing org.

Never heard of the beach body programs. I'm just doing Starting Strength. Nice and simple routine where the main concern is lifting heavy. I don't go to the gym either. Used to but found a lot of people just stand around talking and usually gravitate towards the bench press and other main stream machines. I'm lifting ghetto style right now in my basement but I'm planning on upgrading. Do a search for homemade power rack. The build looks simple and you could do all of the major multi joint exercises with it.

Well Done Clint .... you were one of the lucky ones who survived your heart attack :numberone:
"1.5 million Heart attacks occur in the United States each year with 500,000 deaths."

When it comes to nutrition and meds, one size does not fit all, so find out what works for you and stick with it.

Here's my severe heart attack survivor menu for today ... (off all meds for over 4 years now and back to running with the dogs)

Breakfast: Blueberries/Whole Orange/Greens/V8 Juice/no fat Whey protein/Ginger (thins blood naturally) making a BIG quart smoothie, with ground pumpkin seeds. Fat splitting enzymes.

Lunch: Curry Egg Whites (cooked with no oil) on Whole Rye bread with apricot jam and an apple or two after. Fat splitting enzymes.

Dinner: Wild Salmon (blood thinner) lightly grilled (no oil) with tahini sauce and nuts with apple sauce over low fat yogurt. Fat splitting enzymes.

Bedtime snack - Heaping scoop of pea protein powder with banana and low fat kefir - Fat splitting enzymes.

I eat pretty much all I want of anything that doesn't come out of a package and doesn't have eyes or a mother.

Resting Blood Pressure same as when in my athletic 20's: 116/72 - resting pulse 54
Cholesterol in perfect range according to doc.

= = = =

Fell, bucked, loaded and unloaded a full load of wood off the mountain yesterday. Forgot to take camera.

Take your time ... breathe deeply .... with some research into what works for your body and a little discipline, things will improve. Don't let anyone tell you heart disease can't be reversed.

Well Done Clint .... you were one of the lucky ones who survived your heart attack :numberone:
"1.5 million Heart attacks occur in the United States each year with 500,000 deaths."

When it comes to nutrition and meds, one size does not fit all, so find out what works for you and stick with it.

Here's my severe heart attack survivor menu for today ... (off all meds for over 4 years now and back to running with the dogs)

Breakfast: Blueberries/Whole Orange/Greens/V8 Juice/no fat Whey protein/Ginger (thins blood naturally) making a BIG quart smoothie, with ground pumpkin seeds. Fat splitting enzymes.

Lunch: Curry Egg Whites (cooked with no oil) on Whole Rye bread with apricot jam and an apple or two after. Fat splitting enzymes.

Dinner: Wild Salmon (blood thinner) lightly grilled (no oil) with tahini sauce and nuts with apple sauce over low fat yogurt. Fat splitting enzymes.

Bedtime snack - Heaping scoop of pea protein powder with banana and low fat kefir - Fat splitting enzymes.

I eat pretty much all I want of anything that doesn't come out of a package and doesn't have eyes or a mother.

Resting Blood Pressure same as when in my athletic 20's: 116/72 - resting pulse 54
Cholesterol in perfect range according to doc.

= = = =

Fell, bucked, loaded and unloaded a full load of wood off the mountain yesterday. Forgot to take camera.

Take your time ... breathe deeply .... with some research into what works for your body and a little discipline, things will improve. Don't let anyone tell you heart disease can't be reversed.

What's fat splitting enzymes? The egg yokes are packed with nutrients. Saturated fat does not increase your risk for heart disease/cholesterol. Eating dietary cholesterol does negatively affect your blood cholesterol. I'm kind of curious, have you counted the amount of carbs/sugars you're eating?

What's fat splitting enzymes? The egg yokes are packed with nutrients. Saturated fat does not increase your risk for heart disease/cholesterol. Eating dietary cholesterol does negatively affect your blood cholesterol. I'm kind of curious, have you counted the amount of carbs/sugars you're eating?

Lipase worked wonders for me, but like I said, each body is different. I loved eggs but am very cautious now - One heart attack makes you keen/paranoid to not have another ;) I've heard the latest controversy about fats and simple sugars, but know my own body - the older I got, the less I utilized fats properly. Complex carbs I can deal with. Artificial carbs in fizzy pops are not worth ingesting. I keep it simple - just eat real food off the land as much as possible, keep fats low, and supplement what my body is lacking. Chat more later if you like - have to run off to meeting -

Inbox me.

TTYL

I've got naturally high cholesterol. Bad
Desk job. Bad
Way too much fast food. Bad

The good thing is I'm extremely active from April through November. Lots of walking and physical work around the property. Then there's the firewood I do by hand. Processing 25 plus cords a year can't hurt either.

It's too bad that they don't a carnival at work. I'm sure I could hustle a few pretty boys at the ring the bell with the hammer game. LOL

I've got naturally high cholesterol. Bad
Desk job. Bad
Way too much fast food. Bad

The good thing is I'm extremely active from April through November. Lots of walking and physical work around the property. Then there's the firewood I do by hand. Processing 25 plus cords a year can't hurt either.

It's too bad that they don't a carnival at work. I'm sure I could hustle a few pretty boys at the ring the bell with the hammer game. LOL

So far my health has been good. You ever look at the sugar content in sodas? Holy crap they are loaded with it. Just happened to glance at it one day. Then I looked at the Ginger Ale I was about to give my kids. Always thought that was the better alternative vs a soda but nope, wrong about that too. Bought them some water instead.

You split 25 cords a year by hand!? How many cords do you go through every winter?

So far my health has been good. You ever look at the sugar content in sodas? Holy crap they are loaded with it. Just happened to glance at it one day. Then I looked at the Ginger Ale I was about to give my kids. Always thought that was the better alternative vs a soda but nope, wrong about that too. Bought them some water instead.

You split 25 cords a year by hand!? How many cords do you go through every winter?
I kicked real soda ten years ago. Aspartame may kill me but I'd be 500 lbs by now drinking sugared soda.

Yes 25 cords last year. Put it this way: I put an axe through about 15 cords (what I consider as hand split), another 5 cords in smaller rounds that didn't require splitting, and about 5 with a hydro. Plus several cords that are bucked but awaiting splitting. This year I'm off to a faster pace than last and have streamlined my processes.

Well it looks like I won't be doing any scrounging for a while. I just got home, after 2 days in the ICU, from a darn heart attack. Had to have a stent put in due to an 80% blockage of one of my arteries. Please do yourselves a big favor and have your cholesterol checked. It isn't called the silent killer for nothing. I had no idea mine was as high as it was. But I have been one of the lucky ones, so far! Still a long road to recovery ahead when a heart muscle gets damaged. But I'm still alive, so you aren't getting rid of me that easily!!;):D
Clint, I'm sorry to hear of your recent health issue and wishing you a speedy recovery. John

Back