Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got one more gift to go with yesterdays maple syrup. I wake up this am and a tick had dug in deep on my side. Had my wife get it off but it was in there. So spring is here with maple syrup, frogs calling in the pond, my wife's daffodils are coming up and the first tick.
hi h - wish i had a huge pasture full of daffodils. a lovely flower, imo. good to hear u got the tick out. not a user-friendly pest!

1616682346205.png

would be ok with me:

1616682388255.png

I had a could of British coworkers over the years. One of my favorites was "rubbish".

Also when a British person says the F word it sounds so much better. I watch Gordon Ramsey's cooking videos and he is good at dropping those too.

when I live in England.... 'will knock you up!'... meant, give you a ring on the tele-fone! ~

:yes:

Tends to be a problem whe you use a thermometer to test it's done 7° over the boiling temp of water at your elevation. Ive overdone some and you get very thick syrup with sugar crystals on the bottom like rock candy i scrap it out and munch on it , If you use a crappy thermometer it's a crap shoot. The hydrometer works all the time
as a younger man i worked for a company that made them. all sizes. lots of glass based scientific instruments. and a shop full of glass blowers, shapers. first the tubes were blown, then made, scaled, sealed and calibrated, etc...

1616683211355.png

I had a guy from India on my shift who made a several year pit stop in the UK before coming to the U.S., he drove taxis in London. I was the supervisor, he called me govnurr. Ha ha. Interesting combination of accents and terms.
'govnurr'.... lol, right! everyone over there is a govnurr... right, govnurr? ;) 'cept maybe the Queen :givebeer:

and love! well, tell you what love.... them da'm Yanks! over paid, over sexed... and over here!

"right, govnurr!?"

Maybe the new owner also needs wood? Stop by, or send him a note, telling him that you are 'the guy', and would like to keep being 'the guy'.

Philbert
yeah, leave a note! someone i know... wanted a lil piece a land up by the lake. likes to fish. spotted 4 ac. he liked. 'nope, not for sale!'... not to be outdone, he went next door, introduced himself... and no, not for sale! so left his card... time caught up with them both. smaller land owner died recently, and daughter found the other guy's card n note in his belongings. had no idea the card was there. so called the first guy! a sale took place a few days ago... and he could almost cast into the lake from his new place. more or less unimproved, plans to build and move there.

a note can work well....

Yes maple sugar candy is like crack!!!
crack seems to all about. today on the morning tv news the new Chief of Police, HPD said... he comes from a neighborhood full of crack... and that the HPD also has many cracks... and he intends to fix them both!

time will tell, i guess. but remain doubtful...

Yes maple sugar candy is like crack!!!
Speaking of, I just ordered 4 ounces of maple sugar candy as well as maple cream, maple syrup, and bourbon barrel maple syrup from a friend up in the western Catskills. His prices are a lot higher than my old friend in Vermont but hopefully it is good stuff.

i had an idea and it led me to scrounge up a mobile fuel farm. handy! i hate to run out of gasoline when using my walk-behinds... wanted a high sided box and i added some slip in dividers... now all i gotta do is load up... and pour! :cool: no fuss, no mess... and no spills. thinking one fuel cell marked MXD mite work for me, too... when doing them long pasture line fences.... has a funnel kit, too for ez pour convenience.
View attachment 896641
View attachment 896642View attachment 896643View attachment 896644View attachment 896645
You may wish to straw away from using those bottles for fuel, when they begin the breakdown you get all sorts of nasties mixed into your fuel mix, messes saws up good.

Got over to my mates place again tonight. Took a twisted nasty poplar down for him and a little beach. I really should have snatched a picture of the poplar it was a little sketchy, leaning the wrong direction and a few heavy branches with the lean I couldnt reach. (Should have brought the pole saw with) add on to that we weren't able to get a rope as high as I would have liked, but hey I like a challenge. Debated on an open face but settled on a std face cut. Started the back cut, pounded my pocket wedge in, watched the tree tension to the right direction, started another wedge, cut a bit more, pounded on the wedge a bit, more made my last cut and decided to wedge it over. Stuck the third wedge in and got it gone. Couldnt have been happier with the cut. Had a solid inch and a half of hinge wood, wedges worked perfectly, aside from me getting 2 if them with the saw from pounding them in a bit too far. Oh well, philbert has shown me a good way to clean them up, and honestly the one was too long any way.
Got a 1/4 ish cord of beach in the truck amd some of the poplar. Not crazy about the poplar but it makes for nice shoulder season wood.

Attachments

• 20210325_173227.jpg
    20210325_173227.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210325_173122.jpg
    20210325_173122.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back