Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New bar dropped my saw weight by almost 1/2 pound - perfectly balanced now. Makes my 562xp feel closer in weight to my 346xp and is easier to maneuver in tight spots. Power without the extra weight is a nice bonus when working all day long.
new-saw-bar.jpg
I'm pretty easy on my gear compared to daily use professionals, but I'll be interested to see how it holds up over pinches and my general use. Not sure what the material is they've plugged into the bar where you see the light coloured oblong ovals, but that's where the weight savings have occurred.

Yesterday's small scrounge (noodled the larger rounds):
small-scrounge.jpg

-

Yes, I know. The only difference is a bigger cylinder and piston to make it a 2100. They both share that same sound at idle that sounds like a CR500 ping. I have a 2100 too but its technically my fathers and it needs work so Im not counting it. I REALLY would like to own a 298XP, as far as I can tell its a 2100 but a higher reving saw, and lighter... The 285 will get a 8 pin rim and a 24" bar for now. I wont get into anything bigger than that in most cases. If it pulls the 8 pin rim like a boss I might try a 9 pin rim. Eventually I want to get an Alaskan mill and rip some lumber to build my wife a lean-to for horses.

You going to the upstate NY GTG? I'm planning on bringing my 285 and other saws of that era.

I got to run a 2100 at the Georgia GTG and liked it *a lot*. I can see the cult status with it as a classic muscle saw. It didn't seem all that heavy in the hands and had as much power as most guys or situations would ever need.

I have never run a 285, 288 or a 2100 yet though.
I haven't run one yet but come this Friday that will change. From what I've read, the 285 is a 8K RPM motor and the 2100 is 8.5K RPM. The 288 is a whole different animal and is a 12.5K motor. What Im not sure about is if that is under load for the 285 and 2100 or under load. The 288 ways 12,5 WOT and 9,300 under load.
You going to the upstate NY GTG? I'm planning on bringing my 285 and other saws of that era.
Probably not. Going to be a hard sell to my wife who stays at home with our 2 kids every day (ages 18 mo and 3 yrs)... I'm just not that keen on driving that far either. Try to imagine that convo, "hey babe, Im going to be gone all day on this day, driving out to Albany area to play with chainsaws. Have fun with the kids, love ya".

I'd be more than twitchy if I went 6 months without running a saw. That's much too long for me. :)

I've been lucky that I'm helping on that hillside clear cut we've been doing. I've been running saws every weekend lately. More than just scrounging some wood it gives me the chance to run projects I've built over the winter. Not to mention it's the only form of excersize I get during the winter.
I've got to hand it to you. One of the few sellers of equipment who actually is a "do-er" also

During the summer when its really hot all we drink is ice water all day, nobody has flipped over and died yet. All that other crap has too much sugar in it.

Youth is wasted on the young :)

Water soluble Electrolytes are essential for everyone and there is a delicate balance between sodium and potassium that under extreme stress, the body can lose in significant quantities, putting all muscle function (including the heart) in jeopardy. The health of the Kidneys and Adrenal glands and often times a persons age, will determine how you hold onto your water soluble minerals and why one person can manage heat exhaustion better than another.

you don't "need" a new saw you have to "have" a new saw. tell her it's an AS requirement. :crazy:

But I want an MS441CM or MS461 and neither of those are cheap. Not that I cant swing it I am just having a hard time justifying the need for it since the little 50cc MS271 has gotten the job done with out an issue for the last 3 burning seasons. Thought you guys would have better excuses as to why I have to have a new to me saw.

Water soluble Electrolytes are essential for everyone and there is a delicate balance between sodium and potassium that under extreme stress, the body can lose in significant quantities, putting all muscle function (including the heart) in jeopardy. The health of the Kidneys and Adrenal glands and often times a persons age, will determine how you hold onto your water soluble minerals and why one person can manage heat exhaustion better than another.

That is really interesting. I never thought about that, I just guzzled water. I am going to have to look into getting the stuff mustang mike is using for scrounging/splitting and the other very hard work I do during the warmer months since I sweat like pig and drink water. If I can get more of the good stuff to stay inside so I can keep working I will give it a go.

Interesting. I need to read up on the sodium and potassium balance.

Since around 1957, there have been no major change in the amount of dietary sodium levels. All this in spite of all the anti-sodium advice. Supposedly this is leading researchers/scientist to believe people will automatically digest a baseline amount of sodium. This sounds very similar to the whole "if you're thirsty it's too late" crap the Marine Corps used to tell me. Turns out drink to your thirst is perfectly adequate. I've always heard a human body is a remarkable machine. When the hell did we become so inefficient we need Gatorade to help us get through a hot day? Do the Maasai warriors wear CamelBaks filled with sports drinks when they're hunting lions?

On another note, are you chomping at the bit about your upcoming scrounge fest?

Since you asked:
Truck is pointed north and I'm picking up 5 freshly sharpened chains from my local shop shortly.

I've already got over three cords of 100" logs laying on the ground ready to be bucked. Another 27 trees mentally tagged to fell.

This may be my Husky's last hurrah before getting a L77 top end. Compression (on original 1978 components) is getting low and it's about time for an overhaul.

Think I can do ten cords in three days?

Since you asked:
Truck is pointed north and I'm picking up 5 freshly sharpened chains from my local shop shortly.

I've already got over three cords of 100" logs laying on the ground ready to be bucked. Another 27 trees mentally tagged to fell.

This may be my Husky's last hurrah before getting a L77 top end. Compression (on original 1978 components) is getting low and it's about time for an overhaul.

Think I can do ten cords in three days?

Sounds awesome. I think you can do ten cords, IF you drink some type of sports drink to hydrate.

Just kidding lol. No way I could do 10 cords in three days. I move at a snail's pace.

Sounds awesome. I think you can do ten cords, IF you drink some type of sports drink to hydrate.

Just kidding lol. No way I could do 10 cords in three days. I move at a snail's pace.
Doing a cord of firewood is easy. It's having to funk around with brush and limbs that takes time.

LOL hardly. Think about how much of your day is spend actually on the saw trigger. It's not much.

I know, I was just messing around lol. Well, have fun and stay safe. I'm truly jealous. Missed running the saw this past weekend because of NG and may not be able to this weekend if the weather forecast is correct (expecting rain).

I know, I was just messing around lol. Well, have fun and stay safe. I'm truly jealous. Missed running the saw this past weekend because of NG and may not be able to this weekend if the weather forecast is correct (expecting rain).
I'll send some saw vibes your way when I'm rippin' it up tomorrow.

Don't the Maasai warriors drink blood mixed with milk??? Chocolate Milk is another "sports drink" some athletes use. Either that, or they take some beef jerky with their water (salt & protein).

When I was in college, they did not understand the importance of hydration. We did a 2.5 hour workout in a heated wrestling room, and were NOT ALLOWED to drink. You often lost 8 lbs between weigh in and weigh out. We often popped handfuls of salt in our mouths afterward to prevent (or get rid of) dizziness.

Also, something I have mentioned before, women are more susceptible to dehydration than men, they generally have less reserves. Keep an eye on them if they are working with you. Dehydration comes on fast, and it is scary. My wife needed an I V a few years ago. She forgot her water bottle & rode too hard, then could not keep it down when she tried to hydrate. Luckily, I called 911 (against her wishes), but if not treated immediately, organ damage will occur.

Don't the Maasai warriors drink blood mixed with milk??? Chocolate Milk is another "sports drink" some athletes use. Either that, or they take some beef jerky with their water (salt & protein).

When I was in college, they did not understand the importance of hydration. We did a 2.5 hour workout in a heated wrestling room, and were NOT ALLOWED to drink. You often lost 8 lbs between weigh in and weigh out. We often popped handfuls of salt in our mouths afterward to prevent (or get rid of) dizziness.

Also, something I have mentioned before, women are more susceptible to dehydration than men, they generally have less reserves. Keep an eye on them if they are working with you. Dehydration comes on fast, and it is scary. My wife needed an I V a few years ago. She forgot her water bottle & rode too hard, then could not keep it down when she tried to hydrate. Luckily, I called 911 (against her wishes), but if not treated immediately, organ damage will occur.

I don't know what the hell they drink lol. I know it's probably not Gatorade though. I've read they down a lot of blood and milk. Yep, heard chocolate milk is a great after workout drink.

2.5 hours of wrestling without drinking is freaking nuts.

You know that's weird about women being more susceptible. From what I've seen, more men fell out during ruck marches/in the field. I would think the bigger your body the more susceptible you would be. What does the typical endurance athlete look like?
With your wife, maybe over taxing herself was the main culprit and dehydration was a secondary thing . Maybe I'm just talking out of my butt again lol.

Back