Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the maple being cut by the tree crew was pretty wet. It has begun up here to some degree. Still 3 ft. of snow in the woods, looks like I won't get any down in time. ****** it.
It's amazing how quick it starts. Last weekend everything was frozen solid and I was even getting ice pockets in the aspen I was splitting. I guess you can't win them all.

I've got about 3.5 cords of aspen on the ground in 100" lengths. That stuff splits so easy when frozen. Not that it's difficult thawed but still a little more work.

Seems like we're in the midst of a spring warm up here in mid-mo. It's been warm enough that the mud and slop has firmed up quite a bit. I didn't get any wood cut this weekend, but I did manage to get in 27 holes of golf with my buddy yesterday. Hoping the rest of ya's get some relief soon.

Definitely a pain to limb. But that white spruce I scrounged up last fall burned great. Had been uprooted for at least 5 years and needles were long gone. 14% moisture all the way through.

Oh yeah. All the wood in the pictures burnt very nicely. I just hate all the sap that gets everywhere from the pines. I call them all pines since I do not know the difference. I do know once dried they burn just like anything else.

Oh yeah. All the wood in the pictures burnt very nicely. I just hate all the sap that gets everywhere from the pines. I call them all pines since I do not know the difference. I do know once dried they burn just like anything else.
And after a summer or three of being dead the sap dries up pretty well.

I think the worst of winter in behind us, and we will see more melting than snow accumulation from here on out, but everything is frozen again this morning, and it will be a while before this snow pack is gone.

Yeah, I think we've turned the corner. Snow piles are really going to go down this week. This weather is nice enough that I don't need to load the stove in the morning to keep the fire going during the day. Just evening fires necessary, provided it's sunny out.

Yeah, I think we've turned the corner. Snow piles are really going to go down this week. This weather is nice enough that I don't need to load the stove in the morning to keep the fire going during the day. Just evening fires necessary, provided it's sunny out.
Our heat has been shut off since yesterday at lunch. House held high 60's overnight with a low of 30 degrees.

Its official. I'm taking Wednesday-Friday off work to go to the cabin and cut wood. Hopefully the three plus cords of logs sitting on the ground will have started to free themselves up in the nice weather.

3 days of peace and quiet, except for the saw noise. Beer and cheap microwave dinners will be consumed.

Its official. I'm taking Wednesday-Friday off work to go to the cabin and cut wood. Hopefully the three plus cords of logs sitting on the ground will have started to free themselves up in the nice weather.

3 days of peace and quiet, except for the saw noise. Beer and cheap microwave dinners will be consumed.
beer,,meh..tv dinners may make you fat.................:laughing:

No 50 degree weather here, but it hit 36!! Many scroungers at the local transfer station today, picking over the wood piles. Kind of surprising how much wood there was, for winter time. Seems the tree crews were asked, by numerous home owners, to remove the big wood from their lawns.Nice sugar maple and oak for the taking. Check those transfer stations!!!

Back