Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope someone is scrounging today. No cutting here as kids have soccer practice. Planning on taking a few days off next week to start laying it in

Just added everything up from my wood log. Since January 1 I've put about 13 1/2 cords on the ground and about 3 1/2 hand split so far. I've got some work to do.

10" of snow put the sawing on hold for a bit but splittin some we brought in earlier. could have sold 4-5 cords the last couple of days but can't get it split fast enough.

10" of snow put the sawing on hold for a bit but splittin some we brought in earlier. could have sold 4-5 cords the last couple of days but can't get it split fast enough.
If a wood seller played his cards right you could make a mint selling wood during mid winter. Those who need it will pay anything.

A friend of mine fell victim to the cord/face cord advertising. He needed a little more wood to get through the winter (he's several hours from me otherwise I'd bring him wood). Sees an ad for seasoned oak for $140 a cord. Tells the guy he'll take 4 cords. (I told him there's no way anyone would sell oak that cheap)

You guessed it, guy shows up with 4 FACE cords and it was split in August. He took it as that will tide him through the spring (he's got an OWB so it will burn) but certainly won't be buying any more from this dude.

If a wood seller played his cards right you could make a mint selling wood during mid winter. Those who need it will pay anything.
i have a 1/3 cord stacked out front of nice dead oak but not dry enough to burn. at least two people stop everyday inquiring about it. 2015-03-0111.49.34.jpg

Well , no scrounging today but Pioneerguy600 and I did have a chance to meet Cantdog (Robin) this afternoon .
It was a great afternoon with plenty of tales over a few beers so that trumps scrounging any day of the week :)
I sure hope that the rest of you Southerners are just as nice LOL

Finally broke freezing today, can't remember when I have seen so many people out scrounging firewood. I don't know how many even asked, but there is wood down everywhere. Tree co. is trimming limbs and problem trees in full force, and pick up trucks were lined up along side the road gathering it up. One guy had one of those truck bed mounted hoists and was loading up the big pieces. They work pretty darn good for getting a load of firewood. His had a 12v winch attached.

truck crane.jpg

Finally broke freezing today, can't remember when I have seen so many people out scrounging firewood. I don't know how many even asked, but there is wood down everywhere. Tree co. is trimming limbs and problem trees in full force, and pick up trucks were lined up along side the road gathering it up. One guy had one of those truck bed mounted hoists and was loading up the big pieces. They work pretty darn good for getting a load of firewood. His had a 12v winch attached.

View attachment 409673

Pretty slick hoist setup... Other than a tommy-lift tail gate, next best thing I would think. Good for those folks to get the wood.

Unfortunately all the scrounging I saw today was out of urgent necessity. Every one was out, or very nearly, out of wood. Stopped and took a little poll. Wasn't good.

At least the wood was gotten...surely was not enough to satisfy all...hopefully kids or the elderly will have heat tonight and for the next few days or so.

90% of the wood was sugar maple. The tree crews were pretty nice about it too. They dropped just about all the wood on the road side of the snow banks for easier pick up. Better than climbing over 6' snow banks. Temp was -6 when they started but most got there at day break. They knew there was going to be competition. Early bird gets the worm.;)

Found this tonight. (The thing for carrying logs, not the chest.)

View attachment 408337

Those tongs always make me think of the front legs on a woodtick.

You should cut off the handle and mount it on the wall next to a deer rack with the tongs sticking straight out. When someone asks you what it is, you can tell them it's a woodtick you shot a couple years back and had mounted.

Those MN woodticks.......they're huge.

90% of the wood was sugar maple. The tree crews were pretty nice about it too. They dropped just about all the wood on the road side of the snow banks for easier pick up. Better than climbing over 6' snow banks. Temp was -6 when they started but most got there at day break. They knew there was going to be competition. Early bird gets the worm.;)

Good for the early birds. Probably a sad deal for the late show ups. Temps -6...unreal. I've never seen nothing like temps that low and you folks are used to these extremes. I couldn't even imagine...

Those tongs always make me think of the front legs on a woodtick.

You should cut off the handle and mount it on the wall next to a deer rack with the tongs sticking straight out. When someone asks you what it is, you can tell them it's a woodtick you shot a couple years back and had mounted.

Those MN woodticks.......they're huge.

Good one...helluva blood suckin trophy...and no Lyme Disease. Lol

Last summer,my father hired MustangMike and I to run our saws all day clearing some land he was hired to build on. We dragged it all out to theside of the road, you shoulda seen the locals gobble it up. Free wood is hard to beat. If it wasn't two hours from my place, I would had two years of wood from that one job. I know my uncle has a pic of all the saws we brought to do the job.

Latest posts

Back