Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just getting a fire going in the morning and letting it die by noon. Should be getting colder the rest of the week so I may have to keep the fire going all day.

Burning ???? I'm still on my first little box of matches from october , been shoving the coals and burning wood to the back of the furnace to shovel out the ashes , we've got more than 30" of ice in the lakes and polly 3' of snow in my front yard with more snow on the way .
I tried to find some total snowfall amounts but no luck , PEI got whacked in February with 88 inches for that month .

marcel-landry-s-shed.jpg

I bought my first transistor radio when I was 9. It was only AM and about the size of a pack of smokes.Took me a week of picking peas at .30 a bushel to save up for it. But when the 8 track players came out, I was first in line! Man did I crank up the Steppenwolf and 3 Dog night. Took a cuttin' torch to mount it into a '57 Chevy dashboard, but it was worth the effort. :D

Good bands and tunes fellas. Reminiscent of the old days. I remember my first 8-track...ZZ Top Fandango back in '75. We'd pipe everything through amps into Stillwater Kickers and Pyle Driver Pounders.

So for those of us who may be on the "little too late" list for some hearing damage, to what do you give the most credit: Loud saws, or loud music?

In my case, Husqvarna and The Allman Brothers probably have an equal share in that answer for me. But while I now wear ear plugs when running a saw, I still blast the tunes now and then.
Most of mine is attributed to duck hunting. We had some good years with several guys in the blind and you would use upwards of two boxes between pass shooting and killing cripples (early steel shot sucked).

And my Chevelle with straight headers didn't help either. I had a full dual 3" Flowmaster system with stabilizer pipe but straight headers sounded better. If you've ever flown in a de Havilland Beaver, my car sounded about like a beaver during takeoff LOL

Anybody still buring all day? The wife hasn't been keeping it going all day for about a week. I light a fire at night only half full stove in the a.m. I sure like this warmer weather, about time zogger took the vortex of doom off of us.
We haven't had any heat in over a week! 70 degrees here yesterday.

Clint, my 67 390 Stang had a built in 8 track, and a roller door storage area for the tapes (rare brushed alum interior). And I was one of the few with an 8 track recorder, was a big hit in the dorm.

Also liked some Tommy James, Jay & Americans, Creedence Clearwater, Moody Blues, Grass Roots, Cream, Black Sabbath, and the Stones. The 60s had some great music!

Anybody still burning all day?

You'll probably want to choke me out for saying this, but we've had 60+ degrees for over a week here now. 70's and 80's the last three days. My boiler is still burning because we're forecast for 40's in the next couple days. I seriously thought about just letting it go out and relighting if I needed too, but then I looked at all the big uglies that I had laying around and I just tossed one in every couple days. Worst case scenario is it kept my water heater from using any electric. The big uglies don't stack well any how. In this weather that we're having now, I'm getting 24 hours from one load of uglies. I'll burn them for another week and see what the weatherman has to say, but I'm ready to let it go out.

On another note......about half of my my garlic broke the surface over the weekend. Super stoked about that!

p.s.

Any of y'all jokers want to come get warm for a day or two and have a look see at some green grass, just say the word. LOL......ok, I admit it.......that was rubbing it in just a little. :D:lol:

Yeah it has been awesome here last week or so. 70 degree highs. Mud is drying up and no snow left.

What sucks is I got a blasted bird that tried to make a nest in chimney, fell all the way down and is flapping around. Good thing I closed the damper to stove. But we get a cold blast I might need to fire it up. Going to have to put some chicken wire up, talked about it before burning season when I run brush thru chimney, but never did. Going to freeze tonight, but will be 50 tomorrow with a little warmer all week.

A cold, wet, 36 degrees and rain this morning. Far better than a month ago, but I'll give the stove a full load before heading into the store. Had a couple days so far that only required evening fires, but that transition doesn't happen all at once and this week looks to be a wet and cold one. Got plenty of wood, so no reason to be shy about keeping the stove going.

Im out of c/s/s wood to burn. I'm cutting up logs that I bought this time last year just to be able to keep the fire going. I probably have another 4 weeks of wood burning. Fortunately it's been really mild and the wood seems to last a lot longer. It's not the most ideal moisture content but if I can get it in the basement with a small fan blowing on it for a week it's descent. Will likely give the chimney a sweep come this weekend.
Working 12 hr nights for the next 4 weeks. I'll get off shift wait for the sun to rise then go cut wood for '15/'16 supply out of the log pile. I've got 2 logging outfits within 5 miles of my house logging. I'm trying to get a delivery of logs for '16/'17 winter to stay ahead.

A cold, wet, 36 degrees and rain this morning. Far better than a month ago, but I'll give the stove a full load before heading into the store. Had a couple days so far that only required evening fires, but that transition doesn't happen all at once and this week looks to be a wet and cold one. Got plenty of wood, so no reason to be shy about keeping the stove going.

I'm burning fires in the morning here still. Using up what is in the house.

Clint, my 67 390 Stang had a built in 8 track, and a roller door storage area for the tapes (rare brushed alum interior). And I was one of the few with an 8 track recorder, was a big hit in the dorm.

Also liked some Tommy James, Jay & Americans, Creedence Clearwater, Moody Blues, Grass Roots, Cream, Black Sabbath, and the Stones. The 60s had some great music!
the only good music there was.. after that, it was all acid brains music:dizzy::dizzy:

So for those of us who may be on the "little too late" list for some hearing damage, to what do you give the most credit: Loud saws, or loud music?

In my case, Husqvarna and The Allman Brothers probably have an equal share in that answer for me. But while I now wear ear plugs when running a saw, I still blast the tunes now and then.

For me my sligt hearing loss probably came from too much Inna Godda Da Vida and similar music played as loud as I could tolerate.

I bought my first transistor radio when I was 9. It was only AM and about the size of a pack of smokes.Took me a week of picking peas at .30 a bushel to save up for it. But when the 8 track players came out, I was first in line! Man did I crank up the Steppenwolf and 3 Dog night. Took a cuttin' torch to mount it into a '57 Chevy dashboard, but it was worth the effort. :D

Good bands and tunes fellas. Reminiscent of the old days. I remember my first 8-track...ZZ Top Fandango back in '75. We'd pipe everything through amps into Stillwater Kickers and Pyle Driver Pounders.

images
wonder why?

Latest posts

Back