Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That goofy bear. I had shooed him off 3 times already and the 4th time I heard him banging around out there I had had enough.
My friend used to camp on an island in northern MN. If a bear would swim to the island, it wouldn't leave. He'd talk to the warden and get the ok to dispatch but not until it significantly damaged his storage building.

Just scrounged a trailer load. Tree service buddy told me they were cutting lots of maple and ash. Mostly silver maple, but scroungers can't be choosers. Figure about a cord and a half. Trailer is 16' long and 8' wide, 5' sidewalls. Some nice straight grained rounds. Some of the ash was pushed up in piles, not fun digging out. Couple good logs tho.

20150317_172612_zps20daf912.jpg
20150317_172604_zps58745882.jpg
20150317_172549_zpse4dcb548.jpg

One thing I do like about spruce is that the chicks dig it when you come inside smelling like a Christmas tree, after cuttin' all day. Makes 'em feel all warm and fuzzy is my guess. That all fades quickly though, when they do the laundry!
? clint, you mean to say that the chick's don't like the smell of a cutter after cutting pin oak? maybe not as much as cedar hey or spruce! lol

Do ya'll cut/scrounge in the rain? Supposed to rain on Friday but I still want to get some scrounge work done. From what I've read the rain shouldn't harm the chainsaw

I dont mess around in the rain. It is to easy to slip and twist an ankle, knee, back etc. Last think I want to do is to fall carrying a saw. I have gotten caught in the rain humping out rounds and in those cases I finished hauling out my rounds so someone else didnt decide they were for the taking. I try to avoid the rain, I dont like drying out the saw and all my gear. Plus chaps are heavy enough without adding water to the mix.

Ultimately, I dont like working in the rain. I would find something else to do lord knows I have enough projects to keep me busy for years and years.

So I gave in and fired up my moisture meter - old smokey in the basement today. The yard was frozen from the wind and 17 degree temps last night from a high of 60. I was tired of the furnace running and being cold. Looks like I am going to be burning into April looking at the weather forecast.

Going off scrounging topic again just for one post.

Check this site out: http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/2011/04/foam-rolling-is-for-church-moms_24.html

Tells you how to make your own foam roller. This thing is freaking awesome to work out the kinks/soreness from your lower back after scrounging/sitting in a chair all day. No massage has ever really been able to get deep into my muscles to really loosen up my back except this. It's also great for hamstrings, quads, etc. The site also shows you how to build your own bench, squat stands, deadlift platform, etc.

Latest posts

Back