Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellers,

My old man has been and will be off scrounging duties for a while. He hit a big wombat (aka tree stump on legs) riding his pushbike 6 weeks ago, went over the handlebars and fractured his pelvis. Unfortunately the break went through the hip socket and is about 10mm (a little under half an inch) wide which is bad. He can expect to require a hip replacement in the nearish future but first the fracture has to heal. He had a month non weight bearing and is now near the end of two weeks touch weight bearing with a frame. He then has two weeks 50% weight bearing on that leg with the frame then an attempt to fully weight bear and see how it goes.

He's 81 but was in excellent condition, riding 50-60km most mornings and the enforced layoff has not gone down well. It remains to be seen how things go as he attempts to return to normal function. We did get some good scrounging together in back in October so at least there is no shortage of wood for the coming winter.

11th Oct 4.jpg

G'day fellers,

My old man has been and will be off scrounging duties for a while. He hit a big wombat (aka tree stump on legs) riding his pushbike 6 weeks ago, went over the handlebars and fractured his pelvis. Unfortunately the break went through the hip socket and is about 10mm (a little under half an inch) wide which is bad. He can expect to require a hip replacement in the nearish future but first the fracture has to heal. He had a month non weight bearing and is now near the end of two weeks touch weight bearing with a frame. He then has two weeks 50% weight bearing on that leg with the frame then an attempt to fully weight bear and see how it goes.

He's 81 but was in excellent condition, riding 50-60km most mornings and the enforced layoff has not gone down well. It remains to be seen how things go as he attempts to return to normal function. We did get some good scrounging together in back in October so at least there is no shortage of wood for the coming winter.

View attachment 971459
That sucks Cowboy. Tell pops we're wishing him a speedy recovery. Do you know any "good" physical therapist's? :innocent:

That sucks Cowboy. Tell pops we're wishing him a speedy recovery. Do you know any "good" physical therapist's? :innocent:

:laugh:

Actually, the main thing I have been doing is trying to stop him doing silly things just because he can. Such as using his walking frame to do dips :omg:.

Jeez, that's lousy, Cowboy. It's hard for anyone to take a hit like that. But when you're accustomed to being active it's doubly hard.

All the best to your dad. Will be thinking of him, pulling for him.

G'day fellers,

View attachment 971459
Thank goodness it wasn't a drop bear! Hope he recovers quickly and fully!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your dad cowboy. Sounds like my mom one tough bugger . She got hit by a car walking her dog 2 years ago . Completely back to normal heating with wood and living on her own .
we had a nasty storm last night high winds hail and torrential rain . Had the generator going till 10 pm went to bed power came back about an hour later. Lots of downed trees and limbs added more to the power company pile I’ll be busy for the next few days DE0A70B6-E6B1-4CB6-B7F2-DB5E06A53ADF.jpeg

Good evening scroungers.
Nearly done cutting and splitting the pile. I think it's at least two cord now.
Then I was done splitting for the day, so I pushed a couple smaller cherry trees over, I'll dice those up tomorrow and split them. Its supposed to be a pretty nice day tomorrow, with a high of 39, great working weather.

20220308_182701.jpg20220308_182749.jpg

I always want to "like" your wheelbarrow posts . . . but hauling cottonwood just offends me--can't do it. Now if you haul cottonwood and dump it off a cliff . . .
No doubt cottonwood is at the low end. I figured that the only way to get the tree company to deliver the good stuff was to show that I was willing to take some of the junk too. 5 loads to get 18 loads of hardwood seemed like a decent trade off. And since I have to touch it, I may as well burn it. The OWB is honestly not that picky. I usually run out of the junk wood first since I almost feel guilty about burning the good stuff when it's not that cold. But I do understand your feeling - and I'm not hurt in the least. 😎

No doubt cottonwood is at the low end. I figured that the only way to get the tree company to deliver the good stuff was to show that I was willing to take some of the junk too. 5 loads to get 18 loads of hardwood seemed like a decent trade off. And since I have to touch it, I may as well burn it. The OWB is honestly not that picky. I usually run out of the junk wood first since I almost feel guilty about burning the good stuff when it's not that cold. But I do understand your feeling - and I'm not hurt in the least. 😎

I'm the same about willow. I suspect willow is probably even lower on the list than cottonwood. I burn quite a lot of willow during the entire season, mixed abouit 50% with black locust. The willow does give me an excuse to go scrounging - it is the onlyi species that is available here in abundance.

I'll burn cottonwood and willow. If it's free, it's free BTUs. If I have a pile of denser wood, I'll hoard it and sell the lesser wood for campfire wood. Folks are tickled not to have to pay $8 a bag at the campgrounds and I'll sell as little or much as they want. I wish I had some willow right now. When the temps start rising it's easy to cook myself out of the house with maple or ash.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back