Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a scrounger I'll take most wood, but I try to avoid willow. Glad a load once and learnt why it's used for cricket bats. It's got an elastic property, great for rebounding balls from bats.... Also great for rebounding axes without splitting. It was like swinging at a piece of rubber. I know trees vary and the next willow could be different, but with its low density I'm not incentivised to try again.

Willow is high on my list of don't-want-it (along with cottonwood, of course).

Interesting tree, though. A guy I used to know was a banker/financial affairs type, and one place he worked for a while was Willow-wood (sp?), a maker of prosthetic body parts. The company name originated from back when artificial limbs were made from willow. I believe because it's light and flexible.

View attachment 971550
First time boiling maple sap for me. Had about 2.5 gallons of sap (I threw the ice out before I started) which boiled to a bit under 1/2 pint. Delicious! I tapped a little early. The sap has just started running well here.
Looks good to me :sweet:.
Wonder if cherry syrup is any good.
Taking a quick break, then heading back out to split this one, and dice up the next one. The next one is smaller and more branches, I broke the top out of this one when I dropped the elm so that was already cleaned up. Then a smaller one yet will get pushed over, after that a nice sized black locust, that wood will go in the woodshed for next yrs wood.
I've already got a few people wanting to buy wood this spring, folks are wanting to be ready for higher gas/oil prices. These cherry are going on the for sale pile.
20220309_100658.jpg

And the other cherry.
View attachment 971711
And the smaller cherry and some mulberry and a couple pieces of black locust.
View attachment 971714

I have what looks to be an older version of your splitter. Probably 12 or 13 years old now. The only thing I've had to do to it is replace the return hose. It was a terrible set up returning to the top of the tank with just a straight hose barb. The hose kinked after a few years so I welded a jic onto it and added an elbow so it doesn't kink everytime I stand it up which is how I do all my splitting. I see they changed up the plumbing on yours which is a good thing. All in all it's been a great machine.

I have what looks to be an older version of your splitter. Probably 12 or 13 years old now. The only thing I've had to do to it is replace the return hose. It was a terrible set up returning to the top of the tank with just a straight hose barb. The hose kinked after a few years so I welded a jic onto it and added an elbow so it doesn't kink everytime I stand it up which is how I do all my splitting. I see they changed up the plumbing on yours which is a good thing. All in all it's been a great machine.
My return line is about ready to fall off :crazy2: , I should probably tighten it lol.
The problem I have with it is the muffler has a cheesy cage on it and it gets splitter litter(from the back side of the wedge) dropped onto it and trapped between the cage and the muffler, then it burns. Sometimes it smells real nice, others times not so much, but my concern is that I have a nice coal burning and then i refuel it and spill a bit :blob2:. The other thing is that little pieces fall between the intake and the muffler ot the fuel tank and then the governor will not work properly. That one isn't too major, but I do make sure nothing is smoking and look around to make sure I don't start a fire when I refuel.
Got a bit more done.
Almost forgot to take a picture of this one but remembered right after I started lol.
20220309_144314.jpg
20220309_145307.jpg
Then I did forget to take a picture of a bucket, so here's a picture of one of the mulberry rounds I noodles as a substitute.
20220309_152142.jpg
Here they are ready to split :).
20220309_153124.jpg

Mmmm Yellow sawdust!
Dust?, lots of chips and noodles, nice husky x-cut chain :).
Have to go to @Cowboy254 to get a ruling on whether that substitute picture will be allowed.
Okay, I'll wait on the ruling.
But in the meantime...
More mulberry,
20220309_160530.jpgand I got the other/last tree i had planned on for the day, one of my vertical woodpile, of black locust :sweet:.
Both these buckets went right to the woodshed, finished refilling next yrs side, and now I'm starting on 2022/23 season. I have one more nice sized BL in the area that I plan on taking down, may do that tomorrow.
20220309_174800.jpg

20220309_181409.jpg

Back