Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!
When you get on a roll, you gotta keep it going.
Well except like Nate's boss :laughing:.

I find that as no surprise, top heavy load, on hills, angles multiplied because of the converter dolly, and a huge spread between the axles, sure, that will work out well :omg:. I do get the purpose, not like it's easy to get them around on sites, and then you have axle weights to consider, just seems like there should be a safer way.
Funny the dog is just hanging out in the snow :).
I was a bit concerned about getting out of the site I was just on. It's right on the lakeshore which many times means a large hill either right before you get to the lakeshore, or just back a ways. This one was back a ways, down a one lane private drive that serves about 20 homes. When I drove in with the excursion and trailer with the tractor on it, it's a good thing I took it very slow as it was solid ice on a steep hill with nowhere to go, had I not been able to let off the brakes to keep traction on the steers I would have been in the trees. Nothing like you guys have out there for drops off the side, but those trees do a lot of damage even at 10mph with the tractor and trailer skidding behind. When I came home Tuesday I left the T&T there and I was just able to get out with the truck, I left early as I knew it would probably freeze back up since it was in the shade and there was snow above it and the cool air coming off it could refreeze it pretty quick(happens here at our place a lot). I made it out okay, but I hit it pretty fast for a one lane rd with a blind turn, especially considering if someone else came down they would have had nowhere to go :surprised3:. I could just see having to stop on the hill and after watching someone else smash into me or a tree, my whole rig sledding backwards into the trees:crazy2:. Glad no-one was there ;).
Looks like in the pic with the dog that your boss slid backwards :oops:, that could be real bad out there, can't make it up the hill means you also can't stop it from going down the hill. I used to run up north of here on a road that had a long steep grade(what I call a "Michigan mountain" lol), and at the bottom was a curve. I'd be fully loaded running 160k and hit the hill at 60-65 depending on what I could take the turn at/rd conditions, at the top I would only be running 15-20mph. I told a friend of mine, that if I lost traction I would set the parking brake and jump out with my stuff(I always stopped at the gas station just before the hill if the rd was bad), he said no you wouldn't, yes I would ;).
@Lionsfan knows the hill, m-37 just north of m115, now it's straightened out and the grade has been dramatically reduced.
It was quite an adventure for him, after dark, no cell service, closest town was about 20 miles. He walked about 1/2 mile and had enough service to call for a ride. Snow was only at the top, had less than a mile to dry ground, so close, lol. Picture was taken 4 days after he got stuck when we hauled cat up there to get it out, snow had melted quite a bit. Pretty crazy road, first 1/2 mile coming up from the hwy on the other side is very steep, if he stopped with the lowboy he would have spun out trying to go again on dry ground. Single lane gravel with no turn outs that first 1/2 mile. There wasn’t a good place to unload the cat at the top so he just drove it off the back

Sounds like you are a very good driver, 160K is a lot of weight.

Thanks, I'm boiling another batch tonight so I thought of your post. I boiled mine until it hit 219°. I was wondering, is there a way to tell when sap has gone "buddy"? Everything I read says to boil a test batch.
This maple syrup making is addictive. I think I will triple the number of taps from 5 to 15 next year.
Thanks!
I go for 215*. Best way I can describe when it is done is it goes to a mad boil frothing up let it go 1 min and that was 215 on my last batch of the year. Another good test is a metal spoon. Once it starts sticking you are getting close.

It was quite an adventure for him, after dark, no cell service, closest town was about 20 miles. He walked about 1/2 mile and had enough service to call for a ride. Snow was only at the top, had less than a mile to dry ground, so close, lol. Picture was taken 4 days after he got stuck when we hauled cat up there to get it out, snow had melted quite a bit. Pretty crazy road, first 1/2 mile coming up from the hwy on the other side is very steep, if he stopped with the lowboy he would have spun out trying to go again on dry ground. Single lane gravel with no turn outs that first 1/2 mile. There wasn’t a good place to unload the cat at the top so he just drove it off the back

Sounds like you are a very good driver, 160K is a lot of weight.

Dang, talk about a lot of weight, that's a heavy beast right there dropping off the trailer :laugh:. That's a sketchy rd too.
Did that beast pull him right out, or did he have to offload some logs first. I could use that right now for these stumps and my grading duties here, but turning it around would ruin what was gained in the little spot I'm working on lol. Was the top of the mountain open at that point, or was he just going for it. As long as he's not pushing you to do things you're uncomfortable with. I learned real quick driving that when someone asks me to do something that's illegal or not the best idea, I just tell them, I don't feel safe doing that. I've done some pretty crazy things, but theres always a dispatcher that wants you to "go the extra mile", and I had to learn to say something other than no, because as soon as you do they will give you nothing but grief :nofunny:. 160 was the average full load, many times we hauled more than that and we were legal for it gross, but you would be in some crap trying to axle it out, sometimes they were nice to you, other times not so much. My last ticket for being overweight was for 16k over :surprised3:. I had one 46k coil on a 50k truck/trailer and they voided my permit in ohio because I had the wrong number of axles on the ground(5 on the trailer, and the permit said 4), so 96k-80k=16k. The good thing was he wrote it to the company, it was only like 415, so way cheaper than it could have been at a buck a lb many places.

I had considered pulling the tractor up the grade first hauling the trailer, if the tractor broke traction I could have just dropped the skidding winch blade and then lowered the trailer to the first spot it stopped and then tried with just the tractor and pulled the trailer up with the winch, then if the truck didn't make it I would have used the tractor/winch to pull the truck up. I'm just glad it worked out for me to leave the tractor/trailer there and then we had much warmer weather, otherwise I would have had to do all that shuffling, and that would have taken a bit of time/walking; but we do what we have to, although I had no idea it was going to be like this until I saw it, he did say there was a hill lol.

Isn't poplar like burning pine:crazy2::lol:.
You should bring that beast up here and I'll load it with the logs from the elm I just took down.
I'll probably end up just cutting a ton of noodles out of them for chicken bedding :).
It’s definitely not the best for longevity but I like it in the fall and spring and occasionally to get some petrified hickory going. I also sell a fair bit of wood to folks heading in to the state park. Our house is the last place before the park entrance so it works out pretty well!
City slickers like the poplar due to easy lighting.

Dang, talk about a lot of weight, that's a heavy beast right there dropping off the trailer :laugh:. That's a sketchy rd too.
Did that beast pull him right out, or did he have to offload some logs first. I could use that right now for these stumps and my grading duties here, but turning it around would ruin what was gained in the little spot I'm working on lol. Was the top of the mountain open at that point, or was he just going for it. As long as he's not pushing you to do things you're uncomfortable with. I learned real quick driving that when someone asks me to do something that's illegal or not the best idea, I just tell them, I don't feel safe doing that. I've done some pretty crazy things, but theres always a dispatcher that wants you to "go the extra mile", and I had to learn to say something other than no, because as soon as you do they will give you nothing but grief :nofunny:. 160 was the average full load, many times we hauled more than that and we were legal for it gross, but you would be in some crap trying to axle it out, sometimes they were nice to you, other times not so much. My last ticket for being overweight was for 16k over :surprised3:. I had one 46k coil on a 50k truck/trailer and they voided my permit in ohio because I had the wrong number of axles on the ground(5 on the trailer, and the permit said 4), so 96k-80k=16k. The good thing was he wrote it to the company, it was only like 415, so way cheaper than it could have been at a buck a lb many places.

I had considered pulling the tractor up the grade first hauling the trailer, if the tractor broke traction I could have just dropped the skidding winch blade and then lowered the trailer to the first spot it stopped and then tried with just the tractor and pulled the trailer up with the winch, then if the truck didn't make it I would have used the tractor/winch to pull the truck up. I'm just glad it worked out for me to leave the tractor/trailer there and then we had much warmer weather, otherwise I would have had to do all that shuffling, and that would have taken a bit of time/walking; but we do what we have to, although I had no idea it was going to be like this until I saw it, he did say there was a hill lol.
It pulled it out surprisingly. The road isn’t maintained. He had been going that way earlier when his trailer tipped over but started going another route that was longer but much better road, this was about a month later in October so didn’t know road conditions but after loading self loader there wasn’t a place to turn around to go back out the better road he came in on so he tried going out this way.
Yeah I’ve had to tell him no on a few things, he’s ok with it, pretty good about most things but I am keeping my eyes out for another job, your just a number there and I mostly work by myself and he’s only checked on me one time in the last year to see if I was ok at the end of the day.
Sounds like you had a good solid plan with your tractor and trailer, glad it went ok for you.

I'm just about to buy one of these for shifting logs. The problem I can see is that short logs will fall through the frame. Might have to add a plywood base to it.

https://thehandy.co.uk/product/log-cart-with-cover/
View attachment 974162
hmm, imgaine that! swell idea. cover, too. i see A-z sells them, too.... hmmm :)

thanks for the mention.

sometimes i don't particularly like going out in the dark cold, flashlight in hand to fill up for fire in fireplace bump...

Tell you guys what, I'll only charge you guys for fuel. The excursion should get about the same loaded with firewood as with the tractor on the trailer, on our way home yesterday I filled the truck and reset the lie-o-meter, when we got home it said 8.3mpg, so probably closer to 8mpg or less. You do that math lol.
I know I spent around 200 in fuel between filling the truck and the tractor on Tuesday and Wednesday.
lol, might could do it like on Shark Tank... 2 to go in on the deal.

:lol:

I'd like to build a wheelbarrow/ wood hauler with either spare tires(would need the hubs) or a set of motorcycle wheels(just need the proper sized axle). I think it would roll super easy with the tall tires and it would go over larger obstacles like a champ.
Garden-Way sold them as garden carts. back then $99... some were $79... spl deals.

1647621934353.png

Once so far😬View attachment 974217Boss was driving. Might have been little overloaded, he had a hard time getting the logs to fit on a full size self loader truck later. Then he got stuck going over a mountain with self loader, those logs didn’t want to leave the woods, lol. View attachment 974225He is a little on fast and wild side, been a few times going down hills around corners he said jake turned off because inside drive tires on truck came off the ground 😳
WOW! right out of Hiways Thru Hell ~

It pulled it out surprisingly. The road isn’t maintained. He had been going that way earlier when his trailer tipped over but started going another route that was longer but much better road, this was about a month later in October so didn’t know road conditions but after loading self loader there wasn’t a place to turn around to go back out the better road he came in on so he tried going out this way.
Yeah I’ve had to tell him no on a few things, he’s ok with it, pretty good about most things but I am keeping my eyes out for another job, your just a number there and I mostly work by myself and he’s only checked on me one time in the last year to see if I was ok at the end of the day.
Sounds like you had a good solid plan with your tractor and trailer, glad it went ok for you.
good pix! i could feel being up there on a chilly, snowy mountain pass... :) (Snoqulamie Pass, for one...)

Back