Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the tree company left wood on the property I go ask the property owner for permission to have it. I have had several give it to me and that is where the majority of my scrounged wood comes from. If the tree company wants the wood they should take it, not leave it for a day or days. IMO its forfeited to the property owner if left and the only permission I need is the proeprty owners. The electric company has right of way to the property to maintain it fit for use however the property owner is not obligated to surrender the wood to the town/county/contractor that is maintaining the right of way. I would have to resort back to the fine print in the contract with the power company but believe the property owner would win if contended.
me thinks you are very correct,,in dealings ive had.........

The property owner clearly had a sign up to not take the wood. It lasted all winter, maybe the d.o.t had issues with it over the winter and now that the snow is leaving the wood was able to be removed. I would love to know what they do with it when removed.
took it home, for their own use.........

Happy Easter Everyone.

After my appt this morning (yea, I even had one this morning), took the wife and dogs on a Hike up Anthony's Nose (East side of Hudson at Bear Mtn Bridge).

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• April,5-2015 016.jpg
    April,5-2015 016.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 53
  • April,5-2015 018.jpg
    April,5-2015 018.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 52
  • April,5-2015 020.jpg
    April,5-2015 020.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 54
  • April,5-2015 021.jpg
    April,5-2015 021.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 53
  • April,5-2015 023.jpg
    April,5-2015 023.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 51
  • April,5-2015 022.jpg
    April,5-2015 022.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 46
Got a sunny break today so I went and fired up the skidder .

Porcupines are a scrounges friend LOL

IMG_20150405_141726.jpg

I grabbed 4 spruce and went home , 3 more there for another day :)

IMG_20150405_145756.jpg

IMG_20150405_152620.jpg

Small but free btu's and no splitting required :)

ahhhh to many high winds this weekend 1/2 knocked over two wood piles. I guess I get to start re-stacking. boooo.

That freaking sucks! I hate stacking to begin with and feel like kicking my dog when I have to restack. Just dug up some metal poles/stakes the idiot former owner inserted into the yard at various locations. I'm going to use them to secure my wood piles. After that, I need to figure out a way to keep the piles covered. I'm using tarps on the tops but would like to make up some plywood covers covered with roofing shingles. Just need to find a good way to keep them secured in case of high winds.

Oh ya, the rain and warm WX have beat the snow back, only some where the snow was piled.
And my wood pile showed up. Fired up the splitter and saw and went at it. Cut a grove down the bark of the pine and it slipped right off, they dry much quicker that way, couple days next to the stove and they're ready to burn.
Ran out of noodles for tinder, so I tried dry pine bark. Broke it up and it worked great. Another source of BTU's?
A lot better than RR ties or telephone poles.
Sitting there durring one of my many breaks, I looked at that pile of pine bark, and I saw shingles. Then I surmised, bet thats what they used for roofing in times gone past.
I'm getting funny in my old age.
I think I'll work on the hardwood today,save the pine for latter, lot of that and also have those four logs across the road.
If I had a mill, those logs would make fine lumber. Another wood shed? then use the pine bark for roofing ?
Na, don't have the get up and go I used to have. Twenty min jobs take me two hours. Not counting rests and maybe a nap.
Time for lunch, CUL

MustangMike, I got a ton of Porky stories.
How 'bout when they eat the handle off your axe, or the bow off the only boat on the lake ?
Had to sit on the rear seat to keep the water out. No handle on the paddle either.
My old Maine buddy, the late good old Bud, would pee on a stump and the porkies would remove it.
Now you need a machine and big bux to get the same job done.
Maine did or used to pay $0.50 bounty on porkies, cut off the four feet and turn them into the town clerk.
Bud feed the family one winter on bounty money. Turned them in and offerd to drop them into the trash. No way, he kept them and went to the next town and cashed them in and again offered to trash them. worked until one of the clerks noticed they were the same feet in the same bag.
I got a million of them, stay tuned.

Embrace the CAD
Resistance is futile

Back