Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin' good. I was pushing for a new 400 for my real job...just found out that I'm slated to get it, I just gotta give back one of our work saws...I hate the 441's with a passion, so I think one of the old 441s will turn into a new shiny 400 lol. IDK if that will include the wrap kit, but I have a budget for that...it will get it regardless, probably some real falling dogs and a barf box(unless I feel like making my own for the work saw.)
Thanks man! Would they let you run a homemade muffler on a work saw? I thought we decided on TT that the official name for your mufflers were fartboxes?! Lol

Thanks man! Would they let you run a homemade muffler on a work saw? I thought we decided on TT that the official name for your mufflers were fartboxes?! Lol
Yeah, I can pretty much run whatever I want...nobody is going to stop me at least.

Lol, I forgot about the fartbox name.

Any of you change your own tires on rims? I need new tires for my scrounging trailer and I can order tires cheaper than buying locally. Plus shops add on so many extra charges. I've started to look at the HF version:
https://www.harborfreight.com/manua...NypduNIaXamdCxnwBnli6aX-t5csSV3AaAhxpEALw_wcB
Any one have this?
I have one for ATV tires, it's junk, soft metal and the base isn't big enough to support it. It's currently in the scrap metal pile, I'll find a use for it some day.
Just cut the old tires off and then use a 2x8 to reinstall, I use ether to seat the bead, but...
I was real disappointed with the title of this one.

I have one for ATV tires, it's junk, soft metal and the base isn't big enough to support it. It's currently in the scrap metal pile, I'll find a use for it some day.
Just cut the old tires off and then use a 2x8 to reinstall, I use ether to seat the bead, but...
I was real disappointed with the title of this one.

Didn't know if I'd be stupid trying to put a new tire on a rim without a device. I have 14" car tires on the trailer so they're not that big. And I have cut off a blown tire with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel. So all I'd have to do is put it on.

Any of you change your own tires on rims? I need new tires for my scrounging trailer and I can order tires cheaper than buying locally. Plus shops add on so many extra charges. I've started to look at the HF version:
https://www.harborfreight.com/manua...NypduNIaXamdCxnwBnli6aX-t5csSV3AaAhxpEALw_wcB
Any one have this?
Never used one. We charge $20 each mounted and balanced for 14 to 17" tires. We just charge time if you don't want them balanced. .3 hours at $85 an hour so about $25 for a pair. Disposal is an extra 3.00 per tire.

Any one have this?

I just use tire spoons and bars for smallish tires. The hardest part is breaking the bead. For this I use the bucket on my tractor. Crude, yes, but it works.
Once the tire is back on if you remove the Schrader valve in the valve stem you can place your air hose quick connect fitting (no air chuck) directly on the stem for quick blast of air to seat the bead. Once you do one or 2 you'll find it's not all that bad.

I've done a lot of things because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do them. I change my wheels for winter/summer, change my own oil, do brakes etc. I even find and cut my own firewood for Pete's sake! However, having changed a tire by hand with spoons, the couple bucks to the guy with the machine is money well spent!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Oh geez, no! I'm not burning multiple wheelbarrows per day. These loads are going from my front yard wood processing area to the wood stacks. I have 23 dump trailer loads from a local tree service that I am working my way through - and I still have a LOT of logs. Most loads are stacked, some of the bigger bummer pieces are piled on pallets for overnights, and yes, occasionally a few pieces are burned right away. For example, I have a small stack of dead pine from this year that I use to get the fire going if I let it burn down too far. I should be three years ahead or more when I'm done.
Thanks for the explanation. That's a bunch of wood! Wish someone would deliver some to me (but not 23 dump loads). I only burn about 3 cords a year and next years is ready and waiting, probably half of the following years as well.

I've done a lot of things because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do them. I change my wheels for winter/summer, change my own oil, do brakes etc. I even find and cut my own firewood for Pete's sake! However, having changed a tire by hand with spoons, the couple bucks to the guy with the machine is money well spent!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
For me it depends on the size and how many. If I need to change a whole set of tires I agree with your assessment. But as an example, I just put an inner tube in one of my utility trailers last weekend. Took about 20 minutes start to finish. I can't even get to the nearest tire dealer in that amount of time let alone wait for them to get around to doing the job and then coming back home.
So I agree it really does depend on the circumstances, but the little machines linked above doesn't make the job any easier from my experiences.

Back