Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it depends on the size and how many. If I need to change a whole set of tires I agree with your assessment. But as an example, I just put an inner tube in one of my utility trailers last weekend. Took about 20 minutes start to finish. I can't even get to the nearest tire dealer in that amount of time let alone wait for them to get around to doing the job and then coming back home.
So I agree it really does depend on the circumstances, but the little machines linked above doesn't make the job any easier from my experiences.
That's basically where I'm at. Just a couple of tires now and then lawnmower tires now and then (damn Honey Locust spikes.) Most stores want $25 per tire to change. Ridiculous for just a pair of small trailer tires. So if you didn't use a machine, how did you do it for your trailer?

an honest firewood scrounge post!!!

the storm blew thru hard enuff around my place to drop some good, ez pickins campwood. and i helped neighbor finally cut up some pecan that we talked about last summer. small limb. widow maker potential, though. back yard. so far a good 10 cu ft of stix. hr's work or so. all within 150', well one 250. all in all within easy walking distance 1/2 cord, maybe bit more....and made contact with another neighbor who dropped some nice oak. and has a load or two of no-need-to- split campwood. i like fireplace-ready stix... saw and rackin' only.... :)
that and a cold :givebeer:

View attachment 975309
Started on another pile of tops today. Oak and hickory. I'll be pulling some of these with the tractor tomorrow cause its safer then just cutting through the pile and having something unload in a way I didn't expect. Been there prefer not to have the cuts and bruises again.
nice foto trik, JM... guess i will have to toss my Echo up on my pile from today...

but, sorry will be 4-color lol

Oh geez, no! I'm not burning multiple wheelbarrows per day. These loads are going from my front yard wood processing area to the wood stacks. I have 23 dump trailer loads from a local tree service that I am working my way through - and I still have a LOT of logs. Most loads are stacked, some of the bigger bummer pieces are piled on pallets for overnights, and yes, occasionally a few pieces are burned right away. For example, I have a small stack of dead pine from this year that I use to get the fire going if I let it burn down too far. I should be three years ahead or more when I'm done.
i think H-R prob is the winner in fullest wheelbarrow loads on a single front tire...omg! ~

but, am thinking if i was walking in his boots... a double wheel 10 cu ft barrow would be my ideal... given a wb is my preferred prime mover...

Yes I know what you mean. I liked to have lost an ear like that. Cut one branch and another one flew up and pulled my ear with it. A bloody mess I tell you. Won't do it again.
hi tm - ur description is enough for me! glad to hear you healed up ok

Barkbox and 3 point dogs got here today. As soon as the snow melts let the scrounging begin! Lost the muffler bolts and waiting on the bottom 2 to show up.
OK! them dogs should be able to bark at the bark!!

hate loosing nuts or bolts! did a DIY homerepair nite before... small allen set screws... the kind u dont want t loose.... iukwim!
P1010010.JPGP1010011.JPG

Any of you change your own tires on rims? I need new tires for my scrounging trailer and I can order tires cheaper than buying locally. Plus shops add on so many extra charges. I've started to look at the HF version:
https://www.harborfreight.com/manua...NypduNIaXamdCxnwBnli6aX-t5csSV3AaAhxpEALw_wcB
Any one have this?
once you get the hang of it, it will go pretty ez. plenty small mom/pop TexMex tire repair/resale used tires, etc shops down there bust tires manually.....

I have one for ATV tires, it's junk, soft metal and the base isn't big enough to support it. It's currently in the scrap metal pile, I'll find a use for it some day.
Just cut the old tires off and then use a 2x8 to reinstall, I use ether to seat the bead, but...
I was real disappointed with the title of this one.

videos like that are always amazing and quite entertaining... sorta seeing is believing. but pays to have some exp!!!

1648013421589.png

tractor tire rimmed right on up... and then the house rimmed on down!

Never used one. We charge $20 each mounted and balanced for 14 to 17" tires. We just charge time if you don't want them balanced. .3 hours at $85 an hour so about $25 for a pair. Disposal is an extra 3.00 per tire.
beats a skinned knuckle or a pinched finger... they can hurt!!

I've done a lot of things because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do them. I change my wheels for winter/summer, change my own oil, do brakes etc. I even find and cut my own firewood for Pete's sake! However, having changed a tire by hand with spoons, the couple bucks to the guy with the machine is money well spent!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
as far as i go with spoons and rims... is a bicycle wheel/tube/tire....

1648013852268.png

i think H-R prob is the winner in fullest wheelbarrow loads on a single front tire...omg! ~

but, am thinking if i was walking in his boots... a double wheel 10 cu ft barrow would be my ideal... given a wb is my preferred prime mover...
I agree, and his stacking skills are top notch. A delicate balance between form and function is achieved with each load.

I got a text over the weekend from a buddy saying his neighbor had a locust tree cut down and the wood was sitting in his yard free for the taking. I borrowed a skid steer and a dump truck from another buddy that I do work for on the side. The grain elevator scale near my house said I had just over 7000 pounds of wood. The two largest parts of the trunk are still there. They would need cut up some more for me to be able to load them.

B2C2BD50-BF49-40B2-A99A-FC72FF7DACB3.jpeg

OK! them dogs should be able to bark at the bark!!

hate loosing nuts or bolts! did a DIY homerepair nite before... small allen set screws... the kind u dont want t loose.... iukwim!
View attachment 975604View attachment 975605
Oh yeah! I keep waiting too hear em howling outside.
nice! i see that... 4 at a time!! :surprised3: :numberone:
Yeah, imagine how fast you could split wood like that… if it wasn’t so expensive i might save a little and buy one.

Back