Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1500 or 2500/3500? I've got a 3rd gen Ram 2500 with the 6.7 diesel and a 6 speed manual, a load of wood like that in the back, is the only time it rides nice lol. In its case, Dodge was very conservative in the payload capacity rating.

I agreeMy 2016 srw 3500 has a payload 4440lbs in the bed. Iv had that in there and she was just past level. Plenty of room before it was on the axle bumpers

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

View attachment 978508
Got the OK on the wood in town. Noodled a whole tank on the 4910. Definitely loosening up and not bothered by the 8 pin sprocket. View attachment 978509Been cleaning up and hauling out noodles and chips. This is the second pile I swept up.View attachment 978510First round loaded. Probably get 3 rounds per truck load, this stuff is huge.

If you know of anyone who has chickens or other type animals that need litter, they will be extremely happy to relieve you of those piles. I keep my neighbor supplied with my noodles. She just called and will be delivering my supper - potato soup.

Scrounging my own tree. A mature Chestnut Oak that has been slowly dying off and base rot is now showing up. With most winds from the west, there was a good chance of it falling on my house if left too long and it was too tall to fall in any direction. I used the 2511 for a few cuts on the trunk until the diameter got to big for the 12" bar. My son was helping on the ground and he hauled up the Makita via a pulley I had attached to my harness for the rest of the cuts. That was nice on my arms not having to pull it up. I just went low enough to safely drop the tree.
I used flat cuts with mini wedges to keep the bar from binding at the end of the cut, chunking down either 16" or 32" lengths.

Oak.jpgP4020147_RO.jpgIMG_20220402_131002_R.jpgVID_20220402_132524_MomentR.jpgIMG_20220402_134558_R.jpgIMG_20220402_134638_R.jpgDone.jpgP4030001.JPG

Congrats on the new ride.
Been working mine hard lately.
I couldn't roll this one over, so once I got it on its side I used the little tractor to hold it, then adjusted the big one to roll it onto the cut side. Once it was there I lifted the side that was in the hole as much as I could, then turned it on the flat so it rotated out of the hole.
Not sure what to do with it now lol.
View attachment 978389View attachment 978390
If it's a walnut stump clean it up and mill it... some of the best looking walnut for shop made veneer and gun stocks comes from the stump!

Cutting for a friend who had a 4 oak domino windfall across one of her nature trails, coincidentally the trail that leads to a fire pit. Anyway, the bottom tree made it to the ground, the rest are in various stages of hung, or stressed or pinched against other trees. It was quite a mess. I took both my Dolmar PS 421 for limbing enough to get into the meat of the tree. Then switched to the PS 6100 for walking the trunk back.

View attachment 978399

I was able to sort out and relieve the stress on two of the trunks, but one is still hung and powerfully stressed on a standing tree. I finished up the tank on some easy cuts on this trunk that was held up off the ground and let that final one there for some additional thought, and to consider when I am less tired. Here is the 6100 in it's element: (21 seconds)

Chewing gum to filter the saw chips, and still puzzling over the trunk hung above

It's all about figuring where the stress is, and calculating where it's going to go 'cause there's no way to stop something that heavy if it makes up its mind to move :)

Hey guys.

Last night the gf and I went to a burlesque show. It was really good and very entertaining (both comedic as well as the dancers). Today we slept in and then I did a little vehicle maintenance-put the summer tires on my truck, a trip to town to attempt to grab groceries and wash the car (car wash was closed), and walked the dogs a few times. Spring is coming, slowly.

84DDA9FC-2047-4D7D-9D86-2AF60FEEE478.jpeg

If it's a walnut stump clean it up and mill it... some of the best looking walnut for shop made veneer and gun stocks comes from the stump!
It's elm. It was a double stem, and there is a seam with inclusion pretty close to the middle. I'll probably clean it off a bit with the hose and then cut from the middle out on each side as I could probably move half of it "pretty easily" in comparison to the hole thing lol.
I was talking to a guy at church tonight and he said a friend of his has a machine that makes stocks. He sold him walnut trees that were hollow and the guy would use the crotch wood and leave the rest, then he would make firewood out of it. I never knew there was a machine like that an individual could buy.

It's elm. It was a double stem, and there is a seam with inclusion pretty close to the middle. I'll probably clean it off a bit with the hose and then cut from the middle out on each side as I could probably move half of it "pretty easily" in comparison to the hole thing lol.
I was talking to a guy at church tonight and he said a friend of his has a machine that makes stocks. He sold him walnut trees that were hollow and the guy would use the crotch wood and leave the rest, then he would make firewood out of it. I never knew there was a machine like that an individual could buy.
Stock duplicators are pretty simple machines. Springfield Armory was using them by the time of the Civil War.

https://www.nps.gov/spar/learn/historyculture/machines.htm has a photo of a wooden duplicator at Springfield.

There is a video here of a metal duplicator.

A woman on YouTube makes airplane props on a homemade duplicator. This video shows a Sopwith prop in process

A couple of my associates at Colonial Williamsburg, VA made a duplicator that used two routers (one spun counterclockwise and one clockwise) so they could make two items at a time.

Stock duplicators are pretty simple machines. Springfield Armory was using them by the time of the Civil War.

https://www.nps.gov/spar/learn/historyculture/machines.htm has a photo of a wooden duplicator at Springfield.

A woman on YouTube makes airplane props on a homemade duplicator. This video shows a Sopwith prop in process

A couple of my associates at Colonial Williamsburg, VA made a duplicator that used two routers (one spun counterclockwise and one clockwise) so they could make two items at a time.

That's so cool!

Been kinda avoiding dropping this one for a while now.
signal-2022-04-03-11-16-28-223.jpg
KIMG0807.JPG
But after getting three other ash in this area down and cleaned up, crunch time had come.
KIMG0809.JPG
Gotta love it when a plan works! Removed the gate and fence wires then dropped it in the middle of all three posts and it gently rolled against the gate post. Zero damage. Also dropped another one a bit further back in the woods out between fence posts. That one was balanced to slightly back leaning, had to wedge it over.
KIMG0812.JPG
Allison helped haul the brush and it's all bucked up, fencing, gate back in place. Several more hours with the maul and hauling to the wood stacks to go.
A bit bigger than they look here, about 3 cord from 3 trees.

Here's a video with a better look at the stock duplicator at Springfield Armory. It is in the background in the opening scene:

I wasted 9 minutes watching that stupid thing. Part 1, where is part 2so we can see some thing actually happening to shape it?

Here's a video with a better look at the stock duplicator at Springfield Armory. It is in the background in the opening scene:

This video shows two generations of duplicators in use at Springfield Armory. I was amused the first time I saw this video as I recognized that the early scenes of blacksmiths and gunsmiths was filmed at Colonial Williamsburg, VA and that I knew people in those scenes... Lots of good tinder for fire starting coming out of those stocking processes! I used to go to the cabinet shop to get plane shavings to start our forge...

Patience is a virtue... See the next one I posted...
Who's got time for patience theses days lol.
Thanks for sharing the videos, never seen those used for stocks, but I've see similar for other things, especially lathes.
Didn't do anything with the stump today, no duplicator here lol. I did however think about bringing the hose out there lol. I need to figure out where the split is so I can clean that part of the back side of it, then flip it and clean the other side so I can cut it from the top.
Not sure I'll even be able to lift half of it, but half will fit in the bonfire pit, kind of.

My son’s and I removed a tree at the front corner of our house today. Over the years it grew up against the house, and made spooky haunted house sounds when the wind blew. It was one of the three forks of the trunk that was rubbing the house, and another was really close. It would have looked weird to leave only one, so we brought the whole tree down. It was a weird wood, so we didn’t keep any. Got the whole mess cleaned up already too.

Now that the wind and rain has stopped, I went back out to the farm to get started. One stem of this peppermint was long dead, and as it turned out, full of termite junk.

5th Apr 1.jpg

Some sections were ok but other bits had about 12 inches of a 16 inch round full of termite refuse and mud. Blurk. At least it hardly needed a touch to split and there will be some ok wood in it.

5th Apr 2.jpg

I then made a start on the other stem which was green and untouched by termites. Stihl a little bit to go there but I was running out of light so I chucked some bits in the trailer and called it quits. I'll be able to get out there and do a bit more in the morning.

5th Apr 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back