Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out to the farm again this arvo. Put a tank through the 241 and got the rest of the nice peppermint stem cut up.

7th Apr 1.jpg

I chucked a cube or so in the ute, there's stihl another mebbe half a cube there plus probably 1.5 cubes of the dry but termite chewed wood from the other day.

7th Apr 2.jpg

I considered leaving it in the ute and just driving around for a few days so people could admire my scrounge and boost my cred a bit but then decided to just stack it in the shed. I have moved wood around in there so I can get started stacking a couple of rows in the back then progressively fill it as I burn my way forward.

7th Apr 3.jpg

Went out to the farm again this arvo. Put a tank through the 241 and got the rest of the nice peppermint stem cut up.

View attachment 979512

I chucked a cube or so in the ute, there's stihl another mebbe half a cube there plus probably 1.5 cubes of the dry but termite chewed wood from the other day.

View attachment 979514

I considered leaving it in the ute and just driving around for a few days so people could admire my scrounge and boost my cred a bit but then decided to just stack it in the shed. I have moved wood around in there so I can get started stacking a couple of rows in the back then progressively fill it as I burn my way forward.

View attachment 979515
That 241 is a little beast.

My brother has a 241 ... nice little saw ... but I consider my 261 Ver II light enough for liming, and since it is ported it has plenty of snot to pull an 18" 3/8 with square file.

IMO the 241 is pretty much a dedicated liming saw, but the 261 is very capable of also handling small bucking chores.

My brother has a 241 ... nice little saw ... but I consider my 261 Ver II light enough for liming, and since it is ported it has plenty of snot to pull an 18" 3/8 with square file.

IMO the 241 is pretty much a dedicated liming saw, but the 261 is very capable of also handling small bucking chores.
I run a 20 on my ported 261, I mainly buck with it. I prefer the handling of my huskys for limbing, but the 241 is into the category of light enough for me not to care about the handling characteristics as much. But I do agree that the largest bucking I want to do with a stock 241 is around 12", but his was ported by Randy iirc, so it probably would do well up to 16-18 I'd guess depending on the wood.

Looks like your mother is getting her firewood early this year. Or are you going to stack it against the front of the house like last year?
Aren't you up pretty early :oops:.
Edit, just looked, 6:30am. Earlier than I like to get up, then again I'm up then quite a bit, not that I want to be though.

That 241 is a little beast.
It's a great little saw, complete with Randy's herbs and spices, 16" bar and 0.325 full chisel chain. It was a line-ball decision vs the 261 but since I wanted it specifically to dock up small stuff up to 6" and weight was the deciding factor I went with the smaller saw. Then I found out that it'll happily zip through most of the wood that I cut. Yesterday's biggest rounds were close to 20". I generally use the 241 until I can't get through rounds by overbucking the far side first then go to the 661 after that. The poor old 460 doesn't get much of a look in these days.

How about the Dyson Ballbarrow?
View attachment 979260
Ah the ballbarrow, I remember it well. Got given one with a flat tyre. But there was no way it would pump up, or come apart to expose a tube, if there is one. So I had the idea to use some of that aerosol expanding foam, which I'd never used before. No indication on the can about how much it expands, so I had to guess - maybe half the can will do? :omg:

That was a few years ago. There are still hundreds of gobs of the stuff stuck all over the inside of my garage. Went off with quite a bang.

I saw that. It was one of those " take down my tree for free firewood ". Got spensive quick.
I was just telling the gal at t-mobile that the phone they wanted to give me wasn't free or without a contract :nofunny:.
Free means I don't pay anything for it ever, and without a contract means I can leave anytime without having to pay extra for leaving :dumb:.
I'm not opposed to the deal, just the way they make it sound, it's kinda like when the government gives us something free :buttkick:.

The fleet, Some of the last Gray Elm I'll prolly ever burn on the barrow, had that one over 30 years, mixed hundreds of loads of mortar in it. Made the middle cart 20 years ago, holds more and is more stable than the wheel barrow, like today it's often used to drag stuff round the farm, when it's too wet for the mower. Love the little trailer, converted from a jet ski trailer, 275 pounds, hauls motorcycles behind the Prius, brush, firewood and dirt behind the zero turn.
KIMG0832.JPG

Looks like your mother is getting her firewood early this year. Or are you going to stack it against the front of the house like last year?
Oh indeedy, mum doesn't know yet but she may be getting a couple of years worth delivered. Given the way gas is up in price and the extra interest it's caused in wood, I'm not going to stack out front this year, it might grow legs.

Back