Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow and steady wins the race! And hope you feel better soon buddy, thanks for sticking it out and keeping us supplied with pics!
Yep! That's why I try to do a little every day (doesn't always work out that way.) I post the pics as my motivation to work on it. I'm OK, just not quite 100%, thanks though.

Neighbor asked me to look at a few trees she is concerned about in her yard and tomorrow is the day. There are a few dead standing trunks with almost no branches and a couple with sparse growth. I told her I'd take anything down that didn't have a chance of hitting the house. Looks like some easy access, ready to burn wood will be coming home.

Funny, I’ve been researching on demand tankless water heaters the last couple days. I stumbled across Navien, it’s more than I want to spend on a small cabin. Right now I’m liking Excel.
That's a boiler. A tankless or on demand water heater is just designed to supply domestic hot water. A boiler is capable of running several different circuits. Mine runs floor heat, forced air and hot water for a 4500sq ft, 6 bedroom house with 3 full baths and keeps up quite well. However efficient, free wood is more efficient! Hence my wood stove 😜

Happy to hear you guys have good things to say about the Navien. We didn’t discuss brands beforehand just that he recommended this boiler above the others he had access to.

I’m 42 so if this one can get me half way through the rest of my life I’m happy. Obviously I doubt we’ll see 41 year of service like we did with the Sears boiler.

The stuff I got was brought up from Georgia to the GTG. He had some a few yrs ago but I forgot to get some, then when I was picked in the raffle this yr(I didn't even know I was entered in it), I made sure I grabbed a chunk.
Some of the red pine here will leak like that out of the stump or the branches :rare2:. I always bring WD-40 with me on pine jobs. It's usually in the truck, but not a big deal if it isn't, but when I got to cut pine I check a few times to make sure. I hate that stuff on my saws, nothing worse here. I like pine pitch about as much as I like rust 😣.

Also known coloquially as Lighterknot, or Light or Not. Pines in the south used to be harvested for Turpentiine Production, but like many manufacturing processes, is hard on the environment, and is now almost exclusively done in Central and south america where they dont have an EPA as strong as the US.

A walk in the woods, will reveal lighting struck pines that has killed them, and the standing dead is likley to have a trunk FULL of resin. IF you have a piece 4 inches long and a half inch square, it will get your fire started. One piece that size will get your storebought .75 cu ft bundle going with no other size kindling. Any of our pine species in the south produce splits that burn bright and hot, great for campires and gtg's, just one split on the fire makes it smell good, and be bright, you really dont want to burn the whole chimenea full of Pine only.

Band saw millers who make alot of beams and fence pickets add an amounbt of PineSol to ther blade coolant to keep the pine sap from guming up the band, cuts right through the resin quite well.

Also known coloquially as Lighterknot, or Light or Not. Pines in the south used to be harvested for Turpentiine Production, but like many manufacturing processes, is hard on the environment, and is now almost exclusively done in Central and south america where they dont have an EPA as strong as the US.

A walk in the woods, will reveal lighting struck pines that has killed them, and the standing dead is likley to have a trunk FULL of resin. IF you have a piece 4 inches long and a half inch square, it will get your fire started. One piece that size will get your storebought .75 cu ft bundle going with no other size kindling. Any of our pine species in the south produce splits that burn bright and hot, great for campires and gtg's, just one split on the fire makes it smell good, and be bright, you really dont want to burn the whole chimenea full of Pine only.

Band saw millers who make alot of beams and fence pickets add an amounbt of PineSol to ther blade coolant to keep the pine sap from guming up the band, cuts right through the resin quite well.
That's pretty cool.
So far I've used 2 pieces to start fires, both about 1/4" wide based 1/8" thick and 3" long. This chunk should last me a few yrs lol.

Steve, its all your fault. You started this about your boiler and I commented. I should of kept my mouth shut. My heat pump went out and its going to cost me $6K to replace. I knew when I bought the house the heat pump was old and the outside evaporator would make a noise on occasion. It also had a tendency to freeze up, usually when I had a house full of company and it was 100f outside. The inside fan blew a bearing and is making a screeching wail when running. It almost 20 years old, I can throw money at it and keep it going for a while longer, or replace. Wife said she wasnt putting up with it so, she made my decision to go all new. Supposed to install next friday, wife has bought all the fans in town and its like living in a tornado.

Saw this at the farm store/ stihl shop yesterday. Prolly would haul at least a 1/4 cord with the big tire.:rolleyes:
View attachment 986459
Saw this one at the auction yesterday, end of the row, and we left long before they got to it...

20220506_074322.jpg

Here's one I saw on the way to a job, looks like they got stuck on the log lol.

20220505_190035.jpg

One of my high school friends collects scrap metal so he came and picked up all of the remnants last night. Sure was easy to just drop the stuff on the lawn and he did the rest.
Your friend on the scrapping forum in the scrounging metal thread "man guys, this one was real easy, drove right up to it and grabbed it out of my buddies front yard".
All the other guys in the thread; :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures::heart::heart::heart::heart::happybanana::cheers::rock2::clap::rock::baba:.

:laughing:.

View attachment 986667
Hand splitting red oak at the lake. I usually split it and store it at another location before bringing it to the lake. In this case I had to move it fast and didn’t want to handle it twice… from here it gets burned!
Looks ready to burn.

Looks ready to burn.
It pretty much is… the tree was felled by a tree service 14 months ago and I bucked it shortly after.

I had a painful reminder today about the need for PPE while working… Much of this wood I split with a Bison splitting axe. However, rounds with knots often needed the application of a steel wedge. Upon hitting the wedge one time I had a sudden sharp pain in my upper lip. A piece of the top of the wedge became shrapnel and was stuck in my lip. A bit higher with no glasses and that could have been as serious eye injury. As it was the shrapnel was easily removed with my fingers… the bleeding stopped quickly.

What is somewhat annoying is I had recently ground the mushroom off the wedge to prevent such a thing from happening. Upon inspection it turns out there was a fracture a bit back from the edge that broke. Grind those mushrooms off guys… and inspect what’s left!

2EABFCF0-74A9-495A-A80F-F19D6B617987.jpeg

That's a boiler. A tankless or on demand water heater is just designed to supply domestic hot water. A boiler is capable of running several different circuits. Mine runs floor heat, forced air and hot water for a 4500sq ft, 6 bedroom house with 3 full baths and keeps up quite well. However efficient, free wood is more efficient! Hence my wood stove 😜
What type of setup do you have to use it with the forced air?

It pretty much is… the tree was felled by a tree service 14 months ago and I bucked it shortly after.

I had a painful reminder today about the need for PPE while working… Much of this wood I split with a Bison splitting axe. However, rounds with knots often needed the application of a steel wedge. Upon hitting the wedge one time I had a sudden sharp pain in my upper lip. A piece of the top of the wedge became shrapnel and was stuck in my lip. A bit higher with no glasses and that could have been as serious eye injury. As it was the shrapnel was easily removed with my fingers… the bleeding stopped quickly.

What is somewhat annoying is I had recently ground the mushroom off the wedge to prevent such a thing from happening. Upon inspection it turns out there was a fracture a bit back from the edge that broke. Grind those mushrooms off guys… and inspect what’s left!

View attachment 986680
That was a close call, would have sucked if it broke off a tooth :surprised3:.
Metal on metal can be a dangerous combo. Thursday I found a dang nail in a piece of black locust, what's funny, is I was making sure I didn't hit the large lag that I had put in it when I hit the nail. That chain may get touched up one more time, then its junk. It's a stihl chain on my ms201 rear handle that was new this yr. I use the heck out of that saw :yes:.
One time I was prying on a round and had a large piece of wood fly up and hit me near the eye pretty hard, very odd situation, it shot out like a rocket when prying :rolleyes:. Then you have times like today when I was helping a neighbor drop two trees "real quick", that something happening like that would have been much more expected. One just doesn't know when something is gonna happen.

Latest posts

Back