Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nate, congrats to your son on the Turkey, but sorry to hear about your loss!

Wish we had been that lucky with the hunting, seems like the Turkey have all but disappeared around here, and the deer are also getting harder and harder to find.

Very frustrating, especially when trying to teach new ones to hunt!

Looks delicious, healthy, and perfectly cooked!

Hope everyone enjoyed!
Thanks Mike! My wife never had wild game before she met me. She had preconceived notions about it that she now knows are false. She will pick venison over beef and pheasant over chicken.
Well some really good times lately, turkey hunting with my sonView attachment 987089
And some not good times-father in-law passed away. He accepted Jesus as his savior after watching a Billy Graham sermon a week before he passed and he’s not suffering anymore so that’s good but will be missed greatly. Lots of good times hunting and fishing with himView attachment 987091
Was going to try to post some firewood progress pictures but probably won’t happen today……

View attachment 987087

View attachment 987088

But here’s a wheelbarrow picture View attachment 987092
That's a nice tom! Congrats.

Sorry about your father in law. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Well some really good times lately, turkey hunting with my sonView attachment 987089
And some not good times-father in-law passed away. He accepted Jesus as his savior after watching a Billy Graham sermon a week before he passed and he’s not suffering anymore so that’s good but will be missed greatly. Lots of good times hunting and fishing with himView attachment 987091
Was going to try to post some firewood progress pictures but probably won’t happen today……

View attachment 987087

View attachment 987088

Sorry for your loss nate, sending prayers for the family 🙏🙏🙏

View attachment 987087

View attachment 987088

Very sorry for your loss. And nice pictures.

Morning guys.

Definitely a Monday here LOL.

I fired my attorney today. She was supposed to be doing a bunch of legal docs for me to update things post-divorce and hasn't been able to get me drafts since September (every time I follow up, they are promised within a week-then nothing). My old will left everything to my ex, so that wouldn't have been a very good way to go LOL. I just did a new will online so although it doesn't have a lot of details at least everything goes straight to my kids now.

It absolutely drives me nuts when providers take on work knowing they are WAY too busy to get said work done in a reasonable time.

Very sorry about your father-in-law, Nate. :(

Cowlad and I are flying up for my father-in-law's funeral this morning (the girls are already there).
Thanks. Sorry for your loss as well (meant to say that last week) have a safe trip.
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

It has several heat circuits. One goes to the manifold for in floor heat and one goes to an air handler. Air handler looks just like a furnace except instead of having a burner and heat exchanger, it just has basically a radiator. Hot water from the boiler goes through it and the forced air picks up that heat and sends er down the duct work. Air conditioning in there too. It works well and handles the whole upstairs
Interesting, never seen one set up like that. So is your furnace a regular gas furnace.
I've seen and looked into the Water Furnace brand ones, they are used with a geothermal system, which is what I was considering before going with my 10yr commitment to the wood stove plan. There was a 30% tax credit (basically you get 30% of what you pay for the unit and supplies back either in cash if you don't owe, or a discount on what you do owe) on the GT units or a wood stove at the time, so we opted for the wood stove. I'm now on season #12 for the 10 yr plan with wood enough to burn in the woodshed for almost 2 yrs, and probably enough for 5 more in log form.
Not sure what I'll do for heat in the pole barn, but still throwing around options.
Just spent $81 today to fill a 100lb propane tank, last time it cost me 54 :rare2: , at least I'm only heating my water with it. May look into an on demand for our hot water in the future, I could go either propane or electric once the barn is done and I run power to the house from it and install a new panel (ours is maxed out).

Interesting, never seen one set up like that. So is your furnace a regular gas furnace.
I've seen and looked into the Water Furnace brand ones, they are used with a geothermal system, which is what I was considering before going with my 10yr commitment to the wood stove plan. There was a 30% tax credit (basically you get 30% of what you pay for the unit and supplies back either in cash if you don't owe, or a discount on what you do owe) on the GT units or a wood stove at the time, so we opted for the wood stove. I'm now on season #12 for the 10 yr plan with wood enough to burn in the woodshed for almost 2 yrs, and probably enough for 5 more in log form.
Not sure what I'll do for heat in the pole barn, but still throwing around options.
Just spent $81 today to fill a 100lb propane tank, last time it cost me 54 :rare2: , at least I'm only heating my water with it. May look into an on demand for our hot water in the future, I could go either propane or electric once the barn is done and I run power to the house from it and install a new panel (ours is maxed out).
My dad built one of those double barrel stove kits for his barn. Not sure how good it will heat but that's his plan.

My dad built one of those double barrel stove kits for his barn. Not sure how good it will heat but that's his plan.
Thanks bud.
Not sure what I'll do because insurance will not cover a wood stove of any kind as far as I know.
I need to look deeper into it to see if a biomass heater is considered the same or what other wood options there are as I'm not sure.
Wouldn't mind getting a unit made by the same company as SVK's sauna stove was made by if I could get insurance on the barn still. They're a bit more than a double barrel stove kit.

Thanks bud.
Not sure what I'll do because insurance will not cover a wood stove of any kind as far as I know.
I need to look deeper into it to see if a biomass heater is considered the same or what other wood options there are as I'm not sure.
Wouldn't mind getting a unit made by the same company as SVK's sauna stove was made by if I could get insurance on the barn still. They're a bit more than a double barrel stove kit.
That is interesting about the insurance, I will relay that info to my dad. I wonder if it's a company/city/county thing

Was getting some oak dragged out today . This was the last one of 12 and wouldn’t you know I hurt myself . Not with the log or equipment . I stepped wrong and went down the embankment . Didn’t fall but smacked my right foot big toe into a boulder . Saw stars and had to sit down . Was able to walk and finish the drag out but called it a day . Not broken just stubbed/jammed it bad it’s turning black and blue now 3 hours later. I’ll be taking it easy for the next few days
ADB5E3FD-ECDE-4F51-8254-5E6A905A8CE3.jpegA3F397C3-E9ED-4BFD-85E8-38CAE5D92602.jpegC522A8FF-2B9A-47F8-A43A-01C30D371BDB.jpeg

That is interesting about the insurance, I will relay that info to my dad. I wonder if it's a company/city/county thing

I went wood heat back in the early 80s. Insurance agent inspected the installation but no problem issueing a policy. I'm sure things have changed since then.

Finally got out wooding today to the willow bush clearance...and learned something knew!! At my age!!! Been 3 days of rain and wind at times cloudbursts. I was a bit worried about how wet that bottom was but it is well sodded. Entry had a couple mud puddles and the cattle had pretty well worked up my work area into mud. I decided to jusdt clear brush rather than back into that and make a heavy load.

4.5 hours, well tired out but still able to unload the small load I brought home. Problems with saw chains. Last week I picked up a new 14" chain for my ms193T from the dealer. Way to short for the bar. Went back next day and found that there is now a stihl chain even smaller than the Picco. It goes on some battery power equipment. Dealer repaced it. Today I needed a fresh chain on the 193. Opened box and a real struggle getting it on the bar and then It was so tight in the bar groove the motor couldn't pull it. Back to the dealer on way home today. Seems the 193T takes a .043 driver, not 050 as I tdhought. They replaced it again. I wonder why a dealer Stihl dealer would even have picco in a 050.

I wish I could post pictures but I haven't been able to download to the 'puter. I may pay to have a guru come out and take a look at the camera and computer.

I went wood heat back in the early 80s. Insurance agent inspected the installation but no problem issueing a policy. I'm sure things have changed since then.
We just added a stove last winter at my sons . Farmers insurance just added it as a rider no surcharge . Mine has been on my policy for 30 years again a rider no increase in premiums.

No furnace. Just the boiler and air handler.

Boy do I love free stuff! Since mother's day gardening spree we've been discussing how to protect our green labors from the digging coonhound. I came across some free snow fence on marketplace. On the way home from picking it up I saw this ladder at the roadside with a free sign on it. I know this belongs in the scrounging scrap iron thread bit I thought you guys would appreciate. 🤣
IMG_20220509_183805.jpg

Latest posts

Back