Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mike:
See you finally got a hydo splitter.
Reminds me of the old Dutch saying
" To quick we get old and to late we get smart"
If my hydo died today, I'd have a new one tomorrow.
I couldn't do my wood without one. The vert. feat. is a must have.
The horizontal works fine when working off the tail gate but to low other wise.
I set mine vert, plop my butt in a chair and pull the rounds in with a pickeroon, use a hand axe to cut the fibers
and toss the splits into the trailer, and off to be stacked.
How much wood is that ?
Measure WxLxH in inches, divide by 220,000, answer in cord, and no fractions to deal with.
So next time Johnie blow hard tells you he got XX cord on his PU.
A tape and a button box will tell.
I got a ton of work to do but I'm just to tired, couple hours and it's nap time. and since I'm the only one with a driver's license, I have taxi duty. I hate shoping.
Gotta run, the "Lady" has to go shoping, that's good for at least three hours.

Hauled the wood out with my ATV and "tunnel rat" trailer, works great in narrow paths.

I had a similar "tunnel rat" trailer become a piece of scrap metal in 36ft! Guess I don't live on a golf course.

My Bush Burro surprises me everyday, I have tried but would need a crane to load something big enough to overload it.

I don't use it on golf courses, and I've re-enforced the crap out of it, but it goes where no other trailer I have will go. It is nice to know that wherever the ATV can go, it will go, no worry about it hanging up. It is great for threading through the trees in heavily wooded lots.

The downside is, it does not hold a lot, but I figure it is equal to 3 or 4 wheel barrows, and I don't have to push it.

And when I am on the lawn, the wide tires don't dig it up.

field.jpg

We are finally getting some great scrounging weather up here. A local farmer wanted this tree cut down on his fence line so after we had all the small bits cleaned up and hauled to the front of the work area, I brought in the heavy equipment to pull the last piece up. The tractor was spinning out trying to move this piece so I chained it to the pintle hitch and got it out of the field , worked awesome.

I need to go scrounging tomorrow and blow off some steam. Had to go to Baltimore for about a week as a show of force. That whole operation was the biggest cluster youknowwhat I've ever seen. I'm going to fire up the Makita and swing the Fiskars until all my rage disappears.

Well thank you for being there to support and protect the true Americans who arent part of the mindless BS

Maybe you can fell a few trees with that new axe :)

Well thank you for being there to support and protect the true Americans who arent part of the mindless BS

Maybe you can fell a few trees with that new axe :)

Well I think I'll be back in that city shortly. This time I'm going to a few things with me just in case. We had no riot gear, no radios to communicate with the different squads, no batons, no helmets with face shields, etc. I don't really see an end to this kind of stuff anytime soon.

Yep, thanks again. This is the first double bit ax I've handled. At first I thought the design was a bit silly. Now that I've handled one, I must say I like the balance/heft.

Well I think I'll be back in that city shortly. This time I'm going to a few things with me just in case. We had no riot gear, no radios to communicate with the different squads, no batons, no helmets with face shields, etc. I don't really see an end to this kind of stuff anytime soon.

Yep, thanks again. This is the first double bit ax I've handled. At first I thought the design was a bit silly. Now that I've handled one, I must say I like the balance/heft.

...Ambull01, are you active or reserve? As well what rank, how many yrs in? Curious, don't mean to derail anything.

View attachment 423218

We are finally getting some great scrounging weather up here. A local farmer wanted this tree cut down on his fence line so after we had all the small bits cleaned up and hauled to the front of the work area, I brought in the heavy equipment to pull the last piece up. The tractor was spinning out trying to move this piece so I chained it to the pintle hitch and got it out of the field , worked awesome.

...bringing in the heavy guns...looks like a 2-1/2 ton. If that want get it done, don't know what will.

I'm down visiting my parents in Kentucky. My dad said to bring "a" saw along to cut up some trees he dropped. Perfect. Wood for the Firepit!!!

When I started.

When I was done

The neighbor came over to see what was going on because he said it sounded like I was in his yard. Lol

Question: How high of a fence can a deer jump?

Answer: I don't know, but even not particularly large ones can clear 5'.

I have my back yard fenced in, mostly with 5' high wire fence, for the dogs. So, the wife & I were surprised to see two deer (not especially large) in our back yard after dinner. I went out on the back deck to watch them, and the neighbor's diagonally in back of me were also on their deck watching them.

They trotted back and forth for a few minutes, then one of them tried to clear the 5' wire fence, but got temporarily hung up, then flopped over. The second one followed and just cleanly went over the fence. Neither one looked to be full grown, although sometimes even the full grown ones around here don't look too big. It was interesting to watch. I'm surprised the dog smell in conjunction with the fence did not keep them out.

I have my back yard fenced in, mostly with 5' high wire fence, for the dogs. So, the wife & I were surprised to see two deer (not especially large) in our back yard after dinner. I went out on the back deck to watch them, and the neighbor's diagonally in back of me were also on their deck watching them.

They trotted back and forth for a few minutes, then one of them tried to clear the 5' wire fence, but got temporarily hung up, then flopped over. The second one followed and just cleanly went over the fence. Neither one looked to be full grown, although sometimes even the full grown ones around here don't look too big. It was interesting to watch. I'm surprised the dog smell in conjunction with the fence did not keep them out.

When I was a teen, I saw an adult buck, full rack, clear with room to spare a bush that was way over my head. I mean right in front of me, I had stopped as I heard something running my way. He was good enough, he spotted me in mid air, and when he hit the ground, had already adjusted himself so he landed 90 degrees from his mid air position, so he could run away at a tangent, and not keep coming my way.

I was impressed, guessing 7-8 foot bush.

Of course a few of my barn cats have been able to do a standing still jump to the top of a six foot tall big water tank I have. I have read big cats (like tigers, etc) can do near 20 foot if they want to and are motivated. (not sure on that, just what I have read)

also seen giant manta rays get clear out of the water, that's pretty spiffy, them boys are hugemongous!

Funniest animal big jump I ever saw, I am working on a boat, taking a leak over the gunwale at night. Standing next to the drop in stabilizer while it is in the rack. Our waterline was around 8 foot, stabilizer a couple feet above that. they look like.hmm..steel airplane looking things, they drop in the water at the end of the boom and "stabilize" the rolling. Anywho, standing there taking care of biz, BONG..a flying fish smacks into the stabilizer at bookin it speed, and lands at my feet, proly the worst headache evah. I put him back over the side.

edit: looked it up, 35-45 MPH in the air for those flying fish.

No scrounging for me yet. Trying to get my truck back together mow the lawn and keep splitting firewood that I already have. The truck is a learning experience in itself. This is the first time I've been this far into an 8 cyl engine. Heads are off and got one cleaned up so far. Next stop will be the head shop for a magnaflux test and flatness check. Once he's got them flat and determines no cracks and if my seats and valves are ok the heads will go back together. If the seats need more than a lap I will get some over sized valves for the intake.

So far what I've learned about my truck is it's a GM 350 bored 0.03 over, has casting #416 heads off a 305 (59cc chambers), and has dished pistons so the compression isn't too high. At this point I'm heavily considering 3 upgrades before this goes back together. 1) more agressive cam, 2) long tube headers, 3) aluminum dual plane intake manifold.
At this point I'm considering taking the rest of the engine out of the truck so I can put the cam in rather than taking out he radiator and from clip. Then I could install the headers easier too and degrease and paint the engine.

I watched a tv show one time and they were at an orchard in NY state. the whole place was fenced with 10-12 foot high fence. they show a deer standing beside it and go right over it. amazing.

...Ambull01, are you active or reserve? As well what rank, how many yrs in? Curious, don't mean to derail anything.

Neither. I'm in the National Guard now. I believe they are the only branch that can be activated by the governor. Served four years active Marine Corps and eight years Guard. E7.

UNEXPECTED FIND

So I loaded 1/2 cord of that Silver Maple in the trailer and brought it to my daughter, and still had a good bit left over. The the wife says to me, now that we can see that ugly tree with no top covered in vines, why don't you take that eyesore down. There used to be two of them, both Ash, both covered in vines. The other one blew down in a storm a couple of years ago, and the wood was totally worthless, so I figure this one is also. It has been topless, dead & covered with vines for years. So imagine my surprise when I cut into it, and it was pretty darn solid! It was the last thing I expected! Had to put up with a lot of tangled vines, was like a jungle, but at least I got some nice wood out of it.

044#2 got the call, and that 24" bar was just right for the stumping! Also used the tunnel rat trailer to get it out of there, looks just like a Golf Course, doesn't it???

Attachments

• Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 007.jpg
    Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 007.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
  • Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 006.jpg
    Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 006.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
  • Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 005.jpg
    Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 005.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 004.jpg
    Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 004.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 60
  • Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 003.jpg
    Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 003.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 56
  • Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 002.jpg
    Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 002.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
  • Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 001.jpg
    Ash&SilverMaple5-8-15 001.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 43
This will probably be my last scrounge for awhile. I was back at the guys property that took out all the trees in his backyard. I cut up the two I downed last weekend. Both were nice and straight and will split up nicely. I know one was hackberry, but not sure on the other one. I snapped a picture. Kinda looks like some pictures of black gum bark I have seen. Might just be ash because it was on the way out. I cut everything up onsite today. Didn't even make a full load. That does it for this location and after pulling 3 loads from my neighbor Thursday I am running out of room and need to process. I also threw in a pic of the stump. I haven't cut down a tree lately. How's it look.
c477c438c0b40f22c73d502cbfbb18b9.jpg

ec0084b1ed7d758b1ad62a5f97e39f64.jpg

668d3ec575f2ee840e3c3389a7ec84b1.jpg

7f2767f2d86bb908ecb0a4039d0a6f4f.jpg

062dc335c53e94b337f9744ec7a9c7a3.jpg

Back