Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have seen a few tom's across the street last week in the evening. there is a nice ladder stand there and i may think about using the crossbow.

Go get them. Starting next Monday you can hunt them until dark. At this point I hope I get to see a bird this year. If not it wont before lack of trying.

Marshy, the 4.6 & 5.0 also have cross bolted mains, just like the old 427 Ford engines, a very strong setup. In addition to the great performance, they hold up well. The 5.0 is a light aluminum block engine with 4 valves / cylinder with variable cam timing & cross bolted mains, what is not to like???

[/QUOTE]
the 406 engine was the FIRST FACTORY 4 bolt main bolt block.........

You are correct, the 406 was part of the evolution from the 390 to 427 (they all have the same stroke, just different bore size). (Note: They are cross bolted, not just 4 bolt, 2 down & 2 horizontal through the engine skirt). A stroked 406 resulted in the 428, but it did not have cross bolted mains and was externally balanced, so they did not hold up as well as a 427. I think there were also a few early 427s that were not cross bolted (same with 406).

Also, I think the 427 was the only one with a "side oiler" block, all the oil went to the bearings, you could not run a hydraulic cam. In addition, the piston pins in a 427 were not offset, it did not idle as smooth, but stood up to high RPM better.

Conversely, the 410 Mercury engine was a 390 bore with a 428 crank (stroke). Most 428s produced were PI (Police Interceptor) and were designed for torque and had 390 heads. The 428 CJ head had ports from a 427 medium riser, and combustion chamber and valves from a 427 low riser. (The medium riser & high riser valves would not fit in the smaller 428 bore).

My 427 short block had the low riser pistons, so I ran 428 CJ heads on it. (The Med/High riser pistons were pop up to accommodate the larger chamber of the Med/High riser heads).

we had both at the GTG last weekend. a super split and a timberwolf for guys to see and operate. both did a decent job of making little ones out of big ones.

Sounds like it will be a hydro for me when I'm ready to purchase. I don't really need the speed of a kinetic since I'm not doing this commercially.

You are correct, the 406 was part of the evolution from the 390 to 427 (they all have the same stroke, just different bore size). (Note: They are cross bolted, not just 4 bolt, 2 down & 2 horizontal through the engine skirt). A stroked 406 resulted in the 428, but it did not have cross bolted mains and was externally balanced, so they did not hold up as well as a 427. I think there were also a few early 427s that were not cross bolted (same with 406).

Also, I think the 427 was the only one with a "side oiler" block, all the oil went to the bearings, you could not run a hydraulic cam. In addition, the piston pins in a 427 were not offset, it did not idle as smooth, but stood up to high RPM better.

Conversely, the 410 Mercury engine was a 390 bore with a 428 crank (stroke). Most 428s produced were PI (Police Interceptor) and were designed for torque and had 390 heads. The 428 CJ head had ports from a 427 medium riser, and combustion chamber and valves from a 427 low riser. (The medium riser & high riser valves would not fit in the smaller 428 bore).

My 427 short block had the low riser pistons, so I ran 428 CJ heads on it. (The Med/High riser pistons were pop up to accommodate the larger chamber of the Med/High riser heads).
I had an old ford truck with the "410" configuration and I think it was .030 over. Spirited motor too :D

I know,,but do you,,who did the 428 hop up??? and it wasn't the factory...

I have been in Montenegro, Serbia, and Bosnia over the last week and I couldn't help myslef.

9164a14d4cf7de6a797b5bd8e3a5c431.jpg

Clint, I think it is time we have a Fur & Feathers dinner at your place! Shows what a little feed can do, that is why hunting farms is so much more productive than hunting in the woods (but not always as rewarding).

I am one of those public land woods hunters. Makes it very tough sometimes. Now if I had access to a farm well.... I would hunt it and not worry about being a woods hunter.

Me too, but with all these TV shows encouraging people to bait, it seems to get harder each year. It has been several years since I have spotted a good rack on public land.
Yes. Posers recommend baiting, big shock lol

If you put an average woodsman/fisherman against these TV show pros on neutral ground I'd bet who comes out on top more than half of the time.

I've heard lots of stories how these "experts" paid huge huge money and hunted for weeks to get a respectable animal.

End rant.

Latest posts

Back