Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wait a minute, I think those sites have it wrong. Sounds more like the size of container is what really creates the pressure. So a water tower doesn't create a massive amount of pressure because it is X feet above ground, it creates the pressure because it is X feet tall. Maybe?
Height of water column is what matters.

Height of water column is what matters.

Damn it, you quoted my post before I deleted the original!!!! lol

Anyway, I think I'll raise it about 3 ft and use either a drip system designed for rain barrels or buy a pump that attaches to the outlet house. I want to hook up an automatic timer too. One less thing to remember.

Went for a fairly aggressive bike ride with a couple of guys from Westchester Cycle that I had not ridden with before. My climbing strength is not at 100% yet, and my legs really know it right now, but at least I did well enough to be enthusiastically invited back! I also partly made up for it with my downhill on that aero frame, clocking over 48 MPH. It is always fun!

Unfortunately, there have been two serious accidents with cars & bikes near here in the last week. On bike rider was killed (on a road I ride on regularly) and in a separate incident another rider was seriously injured. Both incidents involve drivers who were impaired, in the middle of the day. It's a bit scary!

I let a guy who is in the car auction business (a buyer & seller) drive my Mustang. He stated he has had Rouchs, Saleens and Steedas, but he said he liked the way mine was set up the best (Eibach Suspension, Whipple SC, Griggs Racing lower control arms & torque arm), etc. (He also races a Porche at the track).

That said, I wish I had that 5.0 instead of the 4.6. The SC makes up the difference in performance for me, but the 5.0 has 4V (instead of 3V) and a red line of 7,000 (instead of 6,250). I'm spitting out 530 Hp, but the same kit on the 5.0 puts out 724 Hp!!!!!!! That would be AWESOME!

But, I've been driving mine since 2006, the 5.0 wasn't available until 2011.

I let a guy who is in the car auction business (a buyer & seller) drive my Mustang. He stated he has had Rouchs, Saleens and Steedas, but he said he liked the way mine was set up the best (Eibach Suspension, Whipple SC, Griggs Racing lower control arms & torque arm), etc. (He also races a Porche at the track).

That said, I wish I had that 5.0 instead of the 4.6. The SC makes up the difference in performance for me, but the 5.0 has 4V (instead of 3V) and a red line of 7,000 (instead of 6,250). I'm spitting out 530 Hp, but the same kit on the 5.0 puts out 724 Hp!!!!!!! That would be AWESOME!

There's a fix for that (wink). Crate motor.....

It would be nice, but right now I have 530 Hp and I PASS EMISSIONS! Sometimes, if it ain't broke, you don't fix it!

I have thought about it, but it would likely be cheaper to get the 5.0 car and sell mine. Think of it, the wiring harness is different, the computer is different, the tranny is different, etc. The swap would be too much.

Svk is correct, height of the water is what gives the pressure. AFAIK the drip irrigation systems are passive (i.e. They are nothing but a hose with small holes in them), I don't know of any that use a pump, not to say they don't exist.

From what I've read, a lot of the drip irrigation systems use emitters.
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/drip-irrigation-emitters/

I guess you could just drill holes and maybe make the closest ones smaller then increase size gradually the further away from the barrel you go. Sounds like soaker hose and simple drilled "emitters" are the same thing.

Also, I finally found the comment that made me think about the water tower lol. This is the site:
http://www.searshomes.org/index.php...-things-i-learned-about-harvesting-rainwater/

Go to the comment made on May 7 2013. Is he right?

Actually, the more I think about it the more I believe he's wrong. If you raise the rain butt/barrel higher and place the spigot/exit centered on the bottom of said barrel it will basically be water tower. If I do what Oldman recommended (placing a water tank on the roof or just elevate it) and pumping water from barrel to tank it will become a water tower. That's my thoughts anyway.

If you look for information on line you will get more and better results calling it a rain butt instead of a rain barrel.

Will do. thanks

Now back to keeping this thread about scrounging. Been a couple weeks sine I've ran the Makita (stupid Baltimore). Going to use the rest of my pre-mixed fuel this weekend.

It would be nice, but right now I have 530 Hp and I PASS EMISSIONS! Sometimes, if it ain't broke, you don't fix it!

I have thought about it, but it would likely be cheaper to get the 5.0 car and sell mine. Think of it, the wiring harness is different, the computer is different, the tranny is different, etc. The swap would be too much.
Forgot about you needing annual inspections....thats a deal changer....

Can you bore the 4.6 very far? Also any chance for aftermarket heads or porting to open things up a bit?

Mike, the dash shows a 7K red line but I'll be damned if it seemed to be limited to 6.5K. I tested it a few times and seemed to fall short of the line. I think it has somethin like 420ish hp but it also has a cold air intake and the baffles pulled on the mufflers. I like chevy but would not pass on a car like that.

From what I've read, a lot of the drip irrigation systems use emitters.
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/drip-irrigation-emitters/

I guess you could just drill holes and maybe make the closest ones smaller then increase size gradually the further away from the barrel you go. Sounds like soaker hose and simple drilled "emitters" are the same thing.

Also, I finally found the comment that made me think about the water tower lol. This is the site:
http://www.searshomes.org/index.php...-things-i-learned-about-harvesting-rainwater/

Go to the comment made on May 7 2013. Is he right?
No, the guy is wrong. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I've studied fluid dynamics and pressure depends on height of water column.

You put the barrel 30' in the air and hook a hose to it you will have 30' of water column and since 1psi = 27.68" column you end up with 13 psi. You will lose some pressure because the hose has losses and a 1/2" garden hose is only .78 sq-in.

No, the guy is wrong. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I've studied fluid dynamics and pressure depends on height of water column.

You put the barrel 30' in the air and hook a hose to it you will have 30' of water column and since 1psi = 27.68" column you end up with 13 psi. You will lose some pressure because the hose has losses and a 1/2" garden hose is only .78 sq-in.

That's it, I'm going to dedicate some of my precious time to studying/learning physics. At least the basics.

Have you or svk banned anyone yet?

Latest posts

Back