Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another few rounds from the windfall oak. Had to noodle most of what was left from yesterday's bucking. I wasn't real worried about them walking away unless there was a very industrious trespassing scrounger out there - and most of you are on here anyway!View attachment 1022870

That's how I work. If I leave anything They will have to do some work to get it on their truck.

Over on orange tractor talk there's a thread or two dedicated to the L2501 and bumping them up to 30 something hp, however it 100% voids the warranty and puts you in violation of the epa regulations. It dies seem like quite a few guys end up turning them up though. I have a little turbo off a 1L Isuzu sitting down under my work bench I'd like to get hooked up to my B series 1005 engine. Would love to take that 20hp and get 30 out of it, could probably brush hog in high range then.

On the bar oil subject, early this year farm and fleet had a sale on that mystic bar oil, over $100.00 got free shipping. As I was down to 3 gallons of the pro line bar oil I normally got, I bought enough from farm and fleet to get the free shipping. Didn't do a terrible amount of cutting this year, but I'm down to 10 gallons and was thinking about getting more before another big price hike. Last i looked they didn't have the free shipping deal anymore.
There’s a number of videos on YouTube showing turning up the injector pump to get more horses .

Why shouldn't you say it, pretty sure most here are all about that sort of learning :reading:.
No PTO, my L3800 has a PTO.
The place I find I'd want more power is roto-tilling.

Where do you get it "cheap", I haven't seen it for 5.99 in a while now.
Here's at our local TSC :dizzy:. Glad I bought a bunch when it was "cheaper" ;).
View attachment 1022830

This is what I plan on buying the next time, as you can see to the right in the picture, it's 22 miles away. I need to go within a couple miles of the store tomorrow or later today, maybe I'll snag a case or two since it's much closer to cheap :).

View attachment 1022831
So I decided to look at their site to make sure it was in stock... bottom right corner.
View attachment 1022833

The good thing is this bar and chain oil is in stock :nofunny:. It's a 2 gallon container, but it would be $1.50 more a gallon.

View attachment 1022834
Our local farm store had Mystic for a while. I got a few gallons. Now they carry Cam2. Don't know which is best.
https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/117194

A wife that comes with and operates a dump trailer!

MechanicMatt was after me to get a dump trailer. I told him it would be nice, but most of the places I bring wood there would be no room for it.

I already have headaches trying to turn around in some of the longer driveways.
I took a very hard look at both a dump trailer as well as a dump box for a heavy duty pickup.

Dump trailers out here rust away in a matter of a few years if used in the winter. And we can have salt on the roads for up to 6 months out of the year so that was the deal killer to me.

Maybe a dump box once truck prices come back to earth.

I missed the start of the a aviation fuel mini thread but if it's about getting ethanol free fuel for saws don't forget, most aviation fuel is still leaded. There is LL (low lead) and a lead free avgas now but don't think it's all they common yet... Although possibly different your side of the pond. Also, the ron calculation is different for aviation fuel so X octane av fuel is >x octane normal motor fuel.

Except that there's also 80/87 avgas and it's low octane fuel!

SR

You need a dump bed for your truck! 😂
A wife that comes with and operates a dump trailer!

MechanicMatt was after me to get a dump trailer. I told him it would be nice, but most of the places I bring wood there would be no room for it.

I already have headaches trying to turn around in some of the longer driveways.

Turnkey likes willow but in general is very wet and dries very light. I also found it hard to split when I got some but that doesn't mean it always is and fairly sure it hasn't been turnkey's experience. I'd pass though, move to the next scrounge
I've been scrounging the last few days trying to beat the upcoming rain. Ran into some willow (weeping). Any good to burn?

I'm fixing/rebuilding an old log splitter that I got from my old man.

The good:
  • 14hp Kohler w/e-start that ran when parked.
  • The old man rebuilt the ram before he lost interest in the rest of the project.
  • The I-beam he put on there is beefy AF.
  • New pump and valve.
The bad:
  • Carb is now frozen.
  • No fuel tank.
  • The axle was majorly bent and the tires/tubes were shot.
  • The motor is loosely sitting in the carriage. It had rubber motor mounts and they ripped apart, which destroyed the coupling for the motor and the pump.
The plan...I already cannibalized a Harbor Freight trailer for the axle. It was a little on the light duty side, being made of channel and the mounts for the splitter were inboard of where the axle is designed to be hung from. I had some 3/16" sheet that I cut out with the plasma to box the axle in.

I got the axle mounted up, this is only a log splitter...I'm not building a rock crawler or anything lol. I'll address the motor mounts next. I don't think this needs rubber mounted motor mounts. I'll probably just run some angle for the motor to bolt to. I'll also try to get a coupling for the pump that just bolts the pump to the motor. Otherwise, I gotta make sure that the 2 are perfectly inline.

As I got it:
View attachment 1022930

1st step done:
View attachment 1022931
Hey brother, I'd give that engine a nice solid plate to mount to. When I built my splitter, I tried the angle iron and the engine vibrated just enough to break one of them off. Solid 1/4" plate and it's been trouble free. Also there are some pretty decent, cheap pump mounts on ebay.
There’s a number of videos on YouTube showing turning up the injector pump to get more horses .
a few of those guys shouldn't be shouldn't be showing anyone anything. There's a guy that's replacing the plunger and barrel assembly that shouldn't own a screwdriver, let alone be showing anyone how to work on an injection pump.

You need a dump bed for your truck! 😂

Turnkey likes willow but in general is very wet and dries very light. I also found it hard to split when I got some but that doesn't mean it always is and fairly sure it hasn't been turnkey's experience. I'd pass though, move to the next scrounge

I can't say that I "like" it. Its just the only thing in this area available in quantity. I mix 1/2 willow, 1/2 locust or other good wood all tkhrough the heating season.

I'm fixing/rebuilding an old log splitter that I got from my old man.

The good:
  • 14hp Kohler w/e-start that ran when parked.
  • The old man rebuilt the ram before he lost interest in the rest of the project.
  • The I-beam he put on there is beefy AF.
  • New pump and valve.
The bad:
  • Carb is now frozen.
  • No fuel tank.
  • The axle was majorly bent and the tires/tubes were shot.
  • The motor is loosely sitting in the carriage. It had rubber motor mounts and they ripped apart, which destroyed the coupling for the motor and the pump.
The plan...I already cannibalized a Harbor Freight trailer for the axle. It was a little on the light duty side, being made of channel and the mounts for the splitter were inboard of where the axle is designed to be hung from. I had some 3/16" sheet that I cut out with the plasma to box the axle in.

I got the axle mounted up, this is only a log splitter...I'm not building a rock crawler or anything lol. I'll address the motor mounts next. I don't think this needs rubber mounted motor mounts. I'll probably just run some angle for the motor to bolt to. I'll also try to get a coupling for the pump that just bolts the pump to the motor. Otherwise, I gotta make sure that the 2 are perfectly inline.

As I got it:
View attachment 1022930

1st step done:
View attachment 1022931
That's one bad-ass exhaust system!

Back