Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have built many of these custom Mosin's, I have done them in these calibers:

6.5 PRC
30-40 Krag Ackley Improved
6.5x54R
.30x54R
7.62x54R

And lastly, I just chambered a barrel yesterday for my newest build in 7x65R which a seldom seen here in the States European cartridge that duplicates the performance of the .280 Remington.

I have won several Long Range Matches with these 100 year old rifles, One is a Remington Mosin, One is a Westinghouse, and several Ishevsk.
No 7.62x51 ?!?! 😲

I have built many of these custom Mosin's, I have done them in these calibers:

6.5 PRC
30-40 Krag Ackley Improved
6.5x54R
.30x54R
7.62x54R

And lastly, I just chambered a barrel yesterday for my newest build in 7x65R which a seldom seen here in the States European cartridge that duplicates the performance of the .280 Remington.

I have won several Long Range Matches with these 100 year old rifles, One is a Remington Mosin, One is a Westinghouse, and several Ishevsk.
Some people laugh at these rifles but I know how well that they shoot.

Seems like there are a wide range of topics explored here - and that is a great thing. I decided to fly my drone over the woods behind my house before the leaves start to seriously drop so that I could spot the standing dead for harvest this winter. I'm not much of a drone pilot, so I lost my drone in the sun and didn't accomplish all that I hoped. But, I did verify I know where all the ones nearest my buildings are, so I'll take them first:

1 minute video

Seems like there are a wide range of topics explored here - and that is a great thing. I decided to fly my drone over the woods behind my house before the leaves start to seriously drop so that I could spot the standing dead for harvest this winter. I'm not much of a drone pilot, so I lost my drone in the sun and didn't accomplish all that I hoped. But, I did verify I know where all the ones nearest my buildings are, so I'll take them first:

1 minute video

I should buy one of those to do an above view of our 18 acre woodlot. It is way overgrown and hard to get around the undergrowth right now. I am slowly taking out the undergrowth which is mosty wild multi flora roses, concord grape vines, bunches of beech trees and other brush. A drone would find dead trees quickly.

The last 10 days have been rough, some of it was my fault. Over 30 days now without any rain making it dusty and dry so the trees are not full of water when cut down. The empty lot next to my wood stacks recently sold and was surveyed, seems I had 5 cords stacked over the property line so they all got moved by hand. Fast forward a week and the lot started getting cleared so I requested the tree trunks and the ground crew gladly provided them in 10-15 foot sections 6-8 at a time. I cut up 4 loads of logs and moved them by hand truck and wheelbarrow approx 125 feet to my pile on monday. Tuesday I did 3 and left the 4th pile in place to sit as I feel sore from head to toes. I burned 5 liters of mix through my saws cutting them into rounds, every bit of it is red oak. I estimate it to be a full 5 cords once split and stacked. I just have to start getting it split up now. The best part is not burning any gas in the truck, im guessing it saved me well over 300 in fuel not needing drive to get it and haul it back.

Searching the internet, it is hard to tell if it is a Milk Snake or a Corn Snake.

Looks more like a Corn Snake to me, but there are different variations of the Milk Snake.
The photo from the Wikipedia site is probably the best one for comparison. Being native to your area is a plus too... I used to see them regularly near my family's home when I was a kid but now it's pretty much garter snakes and black rat snakes with the occasional worm snake. The worm snakes are seldom seen as they always hide under something and are small... All that said, maybe global warming (some would say from all the wood burning) has extended their range. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_milk_snake
1665580813632.png
1665580950823.png

I should buy one of those to do an above view of our 18 acre woodlot. It is way overgrown and hard to get around the undergrowth right now. I am slowly taking out the undergrowth which is mosty wild multi flora roses, concord grape vines, bunches of beech trees and other brush. A drone would find dead trees quickly.
I feel your pain, we have the multi flora roses along the edges of the woods, not in them. That's when I tip-toe in put a choker and a long cable on them and drag them out:

But I have an ever expanding wild wisteria that has taken over 1000 square feet. I attack it every once in a while with a blade on my trimmer, but they climb the trees, spread via roots, and never give up.

The last 10 days have been rough, some of it was my fault. Over 30 days now without any rain making it dusty and dry so the trees are not full of water when cut down. The empty lot next to my wood stacks recently sold and was surveyed, seems I had 5 cords stacked over the property line so they all got moved by hand. Fast forward a week and the lot started getting cleared so I requested the tree trunks and the ground crew gladly provided them in 10-15 foot sections 6-8 at a time. I cut up 4 loads of logs and moved them by hand truck and wheelbarrow approx 125 feet to my pile on monday. Tuesday I did 3 and left the 4th pile in place to sit as I feel sore from head to toes. I burned 5 liters of mix through my saws cutting them into rounds, every bit of it is red oak. I estimate it to be a full 5 cords once split and stacked. I just have to start getting it split up now. The best part is not burning any gas in the truck, im guessing it saved me well over 300 in fuel not needing drive to get it and haul it back.
Ain't that the way it goes? Feast or famine. Where I cut, the guy is almost constantly burning, so if something good is near the burn pile I have to work and get as much as I can in a day. Not as easy the older I get.

About a 20 minute drive away a guy has 6 giant trees on the ground. Cut down a couple weeks ago nestled in deep forest it was soaking wet wood even after no rain for a month. I pulled 3 truck beds loads out of there, about 8 rounds per load because its so stinking heavy with water. Split up each round will fill a wheelbarrow up for size reference and being hickory its hell on the splitter and saws. I'll go back and get more but damn between the saws, splitter and truck the fuel bill is getting completely outrageous. I'm curious what wood prices will spike up to by mid winter.

Isn't 7.62 X 54R and 30 X 54R the same thing???
No, The 7.62x54R uses a 0.310 or 0.311 Bullet, The .30x54R uses a more common 0.308 Bullet with many more match style bullets available, Mine is a .30x54R Improved, The case is blown out and the shoulder blown out farther up and the shoulder changed to 40 degrees. It holds a lot more powder, .30x54R Improved on left, Standard 7.62x54R on right.

Attachments

• mosin 1.jpg
    mosin 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
No 7.62x51 ?!?! 😲
I have those too! But not for the Mosin, The bolt face and the action itself is made to work with rimmed cartridges, However the Short Magnum Cases work pretty well as I did do the 6.5 PRC and it's almost like it was made for that cartridge, Very little work was needed to make it work, The toughest conversion was the 30-40 Krag Ackley Improved, I had to do a lot of work to get it to feed and the mag box had to be modified as well. You will need to Bush the firing pin hole and turn the firing pin to match for the Higher Pressure rounds especially any of them in 6.5 calibers. Here is a bolt head that has been bushed and then trued and squared up.

How Bout Them Chainsaw's? Sorry for the thread derail! :lol:

Attachments

• 20210620_135506.jpg
    20210620_135506.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
About a 20 minute drive away a guy has 6 giant trees on the ground. Cut down a couple weeks ago nestled in deep forest it was soaking wet wood even after no rain for a month. I pulled 3 truck beds loads out of there, about 8 rounds per load because its so stinking heavy with water. Split up each round will fill a wheelbarrow up for size reference and being hickory its hell on the splitter and saws. I'll go back and get more but damn between the saws, splitter and truck the fuel bill is getting completely outrageous. I'm curious what wood prices will spike up to by mid winter.
Dad Gum! You are going to burn that Hickory? Isn't that stuff worth some serious coin? Especially as big as it is?

Thinking of the hickory, I took a nice little (16") hvbw down at my mom and dad's place. Dad wanted to keep it for board stock. I wanted to fire wood it. It sat around most the summer and it finally came home to my place in 24" sections. Sure was a shame, but I wasn't about to get the Alaskan out for it and dad was too cheap to pay for it to be milled.

I have a friend of a friend looking for a load of firewood up in PA near Peters township, send a phone# if your in that area and i'll pass it along.
The hickory will end up gifted out for smoking, no mill to run it through and it will be a year before its dry anyway. Im just hoping to end up with 4+cords of it, maybe more.

no pics?? :p

I have a friend of a friend looking for a load of firewood up in PA near Peters township, send a phone# if your in that area and i'll pass it along.
The hickory will end up gifted out for smoking, no mill to run it through and it will be a year before its dry anyway. Im just hoping to end up with 4+cords of it, maybe more.
I wish I had some of that for smoking, My neighbors have a lot of fruit trees so I'm stocked up on that for years, But I don't have any hickory, Bummer!

Back